• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help/advice on 4790K 5.0GHz OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lryso

Hi, im new to this forum so im sorry if this isnt allowed, but im looking for opinions/advice on my current overclock (this is first oc ever). but first i need to give you some background information: Im overclocking my cpu to be able to run a 3ds emulator called citra, citra only uses 1 core to run the game so when playing certain games that carry a heavy load Ie. pokemon sun and moon, there are huge fps drops. so the goal is to get my clockspeed as high as possible to be able to run the game smoothly. So i managed to get a stable 24/7 overclock of 4.7 GHz at 1.207v on air with max temps of 74 degrees with hyperthreading on, but only managed to pull 19-22 fps from pokemon sun and moon on the heaviest loads. Mind you thats better than the 12 fps i would have gotten before the OC. but i want to try to get it as close to 30 fps as i can. so i did an OC at 5.0Ghz with only two cores active (one for the emulator, one for the os) because i had stability issues with all 4 cores active (hyperthreading off obviously). i managed to get it stable for 8 hrs on max load at 1.53v with max temps of 90 degrees and managed to get citra running pokemon sun and moon at 22-30 fps (which is very playable). i realize this is a very high voltage to be running, but i figure because my motherboard allows me to save multiple OC profiles i could just run this OC when i want to play the game (couple hours at a time max) and then go back to my everyday OC of 4.7 when im done playing. will me doing this compromise my cpu? the temperatures when running the emulator never actually get passed 45 degrees or ever run the cpu on full load. So i guess the question is am i going to kill my processor over time by doing this?

thanks for everyones input in advance! :)

ill post my rig below

and also before anyone asks why i didnt get a 4690k if i was going to disable HT, its because i work in music and i need 4core HT for optimal usage.

MOBO: Gigabyte Z97x Black edition
RAM: 32 gb 2400mhz hyperx
CPU: i7 4790K EDIT: Delidded
CPU COOLER: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 140mm UFB
PSU: evga 850G2
GPU: MSI Gaming 6g GTX 980ti

Last edited:
5.0Ghz is quite a stretch for the 4790K. Very few have made it there and those that did had exceptional cooling ( ie: LN2/chiller). Best you can get is 4.7-4.8Ghz. 32gb of ram will also hinder that overclock as the IMC needs more voltage to get that ram to it's speed.

There's a great guide here that you should look at.

5.0Ghz is quite a stretch for the 4790K. Very few have made it there and those that did had exceptional cooling ( ie: LN2/chiller). Best you can get is 4.7-4.8Ghz.

There's a great guide here that you should look at.

Okay thanks! ill give it a read right now. Do you think that ive already condemned my cpu by running an 8 hour stress test on it at 5.0GHz? lol

Woah! If it ran at that speed with less than 1.4v, then that's pretty good! Be sure to keep the cpu voltage under 1.4v and temps under 80c.

Oh i forgot to mention that i delidded my processor as well.

:welcome: to OCF lryso!

I would like to state that 1.53v is way to high for ambient air cooling. Your temps are fine but you're way over the max recommendation of 1.45v. If you're able to reach a stable 4.7Ghz @ 1.2x then it's pretty safe to say you should be able to hit 4.8 or 4.9 withing the 1.45v max. That 1-200mhz shouldn't really be noticeable in game and could keep your CPU alive a bit longer.

:welcome: to OCF lryso!

I would like to state that 1.53v is way to high for ambient air cooling. Your temps are fine but you're way over the max recommendation of 1.45v. If you're able to reach a stable 4.7Ghz @ 1.2x then it's pretty safe to say you should be able to hit 4.8 or 4.9 withing the 1.45v max. That 1-200mhz shouldn't really be noticeable in game and could keep your CPU alive a bit longer.

thanks :) yes well the odd thing is im hitting a voltage wall at 4.8 and 4.9 and having to boost my voltage to 1.45 to get stable 4.8, would this have something to do with me running 32 gb (8x4@2400mhz) ram?

1.45v is pretty much maxed voltage for the 4970k as it will shorten it's lifespan. I would'nt go any higher. You were brave going 1.5v+ with it. Do you have all your power saving features (C-states, etc) enabled? Because if you do, this will affect overclock as it will drop voltage and clockspeeds to save power. Also check your LLC (Load Line calibration). I'm sure it's on Auto and under load the voltage will droop/drop causing instability.

Did you check the guide I posted for you?

1.2 to 1.53 is a big jump jump for 300mhz

I have found I can use a bit less Vcore if I raise the CPU Vrin voltage to 2.1-2.15v

What do you have your CPU cache at when @ 5ghz ? if it is locked with the multi maybe try 40x-44x with cache voltage @ 1.3v

have you tried disabling cores as well as HT maybe try with 2 cores disabled (less heat and voltage )

When you delidded your cpu what TIM did you use under the IHS ?

And no I dont think you hurt your CPU with a few hours of 1.5v I have a few hours @ 1.6v+ on water .

Back