• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help Choosing a new L

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SuperDave1685

Hey there guys. I'm building a new rig here and need some advice on a new monitor. I currently have a Samsung 226BW which I absolutely love, but since I ordered a HD5970, I think it's time to upgrade a little bit :D Here is what I'm considering buying:

ASUS VW266H Black 25.5" 2ms(GTG) 300 cd/m2 1000:1
Hanns·G HG-281DPB Black 28" 3ms 500 cd/m2 800:1
SAMSUNG SYNCMASTER P2570 Glossy Black 24.6" 2ms(GTG) 300 cd/m2 DC 70000:1(1000:1)

I'm leaning towards the Asus as it seems to have the smallest pixel pitch of them,a long with the 2ms response time. Can you guys give me any advice or ideas on other possible monitors? Or look at these and let me know what you think? Thanks!

-Dave

As for that HP, what exactly is so special about IPS Panels? Color Replication? I see the 6ms GTG (12ms) response time in there. Thats kind of a turn off because I'll be gaming a lot and I'm afraid a response time that high will have some ghosting, you know?

I was thinking this too. Your 5970 will thank you... Look at the reviews and how well she does!

I'd go 30", but 1) I don't have that kind of room 2) I plan on getting an HDTV for TV, not to use as a computer monitor. I'm really leaning towards the Asus I listed. It's 1920 x1200, has a small pixel pitch ,and good contrast. From its specs, it looks to be as good, if not better than my Samsung 226BW, which I absolutely LOVE. Plus at only ~$300, its not going to break my bank either

Don't even look at response rates, unless it's something crazy like 16ms. They juice up those panels to get the grey to grey numbers down to 2-3ms but then you end up with RTC errors which look just as bad (if not worse) than a slower response time.

As for that HP, what exactly is so special about IPS Panels? Color Replication? I see the 6ms GTG (12ms) response time in there. Thats kind of a turn off because I'll be gaming a lot and I'm afraid a response time that high will have some ghosting, you know?

I game with this monitor and don't notice any ghosting. Input lag is 1-2 frames at most, which is very good considering its an H-IPS panel (and not a TN panel). All around very good monitor considering its sub-$600 price.

I just can't justify the price of a IPS Panel. my eyes are not nearly as discriminatory as ratbuddy's apparently. My Samsung 226BW has a TN panel apparently as well and I absolutely love it. Viewing angle doesn't mean squat to me, as I'll be sitting square in front of it. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the Asus here in a couple weeks :)

I just can't justify the price of a IPS Panel. my eyes are not nearly as discriminatory as ratbuddy's apparently. My Samsung 226BW has a TN panel apparently as well and I absolutely love it. Viewing angle doesn't mean squat to me, as I'll be sitting square in front of it. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the Asus here in a couple weeks :)

Huh? I have no problem with TN panels. I think they offer the best value for a gaming monitor.

I'm currently running the 28" Hannsg monitor and holy pewp! Took me about 2 hours to get it adjusted correctly but man this thing is friggin huge, only problem i have is a very slight backlight bleed at the top.

Back