• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help choosing MB for 1.2g Duron I won

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HiProfile

Since they forums rather stupidly only shows me the posts from the past few days & "1.2" can't be used in search, I have to bother you guys. Its very hard to search accurately using "duron" or "morgan duron" & similar wording. All & any info is welcome and appreciated.

You may/not know I won the Week 4 Folding@Home contest w/1.2g Duron as a prize [if it would ever get here], yet my Duron board knowledge is lacking. This is what I'd like to get:

-good price (well under $100USD) from Pricewatch
-ata 66 or 100
-ability to modify fsb & multiplier, you know - the basics
-either 3+ non-ddr slots or 2 ddr with 2 pc133 slots; also open to mb's that fit other needs with 2+ ddr slots
-4+ PCI slots
-NO onboard video/sound [unless its 5.1 surround]
-only has to cope with a GeForce2 TI
-reliable

Also I have a rather small case with a 'sideways' psu - its mounted next to the board instead of above it [when looking at the front of the case]. What I would like is a mb that has the cpu placed as close to the drive bays as possible, since I only have 3.5 inches from the mb circuts to the psu [not good]. Thats the biggest problem...although I can always make a modifications. I might revise some things later. Thanks again.

Abit KT7A-RAID Rev 1.3

This board has it all and comes with good ole SD-Ram. Some people may diss SD-Ram and think that its not the appropriate choice for todays computing but little do they know, SD-Ram is more than 3 times cheaper to purchase than DDR ram.

I can pick up a good brand name stick of PC133 512MB for as little as $75 Canadian!!! Try to beat that for a price/performance/memory attraction ;)

OC-Master

$76 shipped for a mb thats gonna use a $20 chip [sans ebay.com]...who woulda thought that the lights, which are the only things to have come, would be more expensive than a multi-million transistor cpu. If it ain't broke (my system), don't fix it...and the only thing broke is me money-wise. For now I think I'll save up for that water-cooled .13micron amd system, usb2, firewire, ddr-2, & all the other trappings. Quite honestly, my system is rock-solid atm, unlike the majority of the time in previous years.

Maybe I can convince my parents that they need to swap their mb with my mb+cpu for all my past free tech support...

Anyways, thanks for the reply.

K7S5A! VERY cheap and stable board with SD and DDR slots, 5 PCI, AUDIO and LAN onboard, no mulit adjustments but you can raise the FSB with the OC BIOS. This is what my main rig (1G morgan is on, I actually prefer it over the 1.33 TBird). I no complaints what soever about this mobo, its a rock solid board for its price, I think it can be had for $50 easy.

Thanks for that info - I've been looking at the THG reviews of boards/chipsets, and the 735 looks like a good chip for me. I'm not sure if I want to get this or save up for a better 2000+ [or better]. I want to get a complete water-cooled system eventually, cpu/vid/chipset & maybe psu/hdd. My goal will be for a silent OC: :burn: without the :mad:

Iwill KK266 is a great mobo for overclocking, though I don't know if it will fit your special "case" standards.

Acctually, I think I solved all m problems in Spanish class today [No me gusta Espanol].

I think I'll get an EPox 8K3AE [or alike KT333 mb] & 256mb ddr333 ram, and upgrade to a 2100+ Athlon after I complete a h2o system. I'm gonna sell my GS Storm [1/8 scale gas r/c buggy] which I never use, which should just about pay for it all! I was hoping for onboard usb2.0, but I can easily get a pci card from ebay for <$20 when/if I need it.

The only problem now is that my 300w psu might not be enough. Looking inside a spare unit I think I could slim it by 1/3 so it will fit above my board. I'll have to turn it 90deg to horizontal, like in other cases, to make it fit. What is recomended with a 2100+ & EPox 8K3AE? 350 or 400 watts?

Question: is there any diff between the 8K3A+ & 8K3AE [besides sound/raid/pci]? I think $67 for this from pricewatch is awsome.

Back