• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help choosing parts for mid-range PC (1000$ budget for everything)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kamran

Hi, My cousin wants to get into gaming :) he doesn't even know what he wants to play right now, He also will work a little with animation software! (he doesn't know anything yet but he will learn them sometime) and for programming even a raspberry pi is enough so it's mostly for gaming

The only games he plays right now are world of tanks (ugh) and minecraft, But I'm sure I will give him some games to play after he builds it, (doom or something? not sure about doom it has too much violence)

oh what is important is future-proofin, it should work for around 3 years/Be easy to upgrade (The GPU, And maybe the mobo+cpu combo too, I am talking about psu and case for example)
The system I just guessed is this:

CPU: Intel i5-6400 (not sure if it's powerful enough for example next gen 1070 ti or something!!! )
Ram: Gskill Ripjaws V 8GB 4GBx2 2133Mhz CL15 DDR4
PSU: ehm... it's a ... wel... a Green GP650A-UK. Trust me I feel disgusting touching that PSU but everybody says it's good and other then corsair cs there's nothing else available. I have one on my own, ofc its the 3x more expensive version made for (extreme overclocking, meh) but it still works very well! althought the old one I think killed my Graphics card and HDD :|
GPU: sapphire r7 360 2GB OC
motherboard :GIGABYTE B150M-D3h
case: GREEN X3+ VIPER Case
monitor: BenQ GW2270H Monitor
mouse: G303 Logitech
maybe I'll add a 120gb ssd there!
Is this good :?

I don't know anything about monitors and I will just buy him a ok mouse and keyboard later!

EDIT: found this on the internet: Cooler Master V650 Modular Computer Power Supply

Last edited:
Hi, My cousin wants to get into gaming :) he doesn't even know what he wants to play right now, He also will work a little with animation software! (he doesn't know anything yet but he will learn them sometime) and for programming even a raspberry pi is enough so it's mostly for gaming

The only games he plays right now are world of tanks (ugh) and minecraft, But I'm sure I will give him some games to play after he builds it, (doom or something? not sure about doom it has too much violence)

oh what is important is future-proofin, it should work for around 3 years/Be easy to upgrade (The GPU, And maybe the mobo+cpu combo too, I am talking about psu and case for example)
The system I just guessed is this:

CPU: Intel i5-6400 (not sure if it's powerful enough for example next gen 1070 ti or something!!! )
Ram: Gskill Ripjaws V 8GB 4GBx2 2133Mhz CL15 DDR4
PSU: ehm... it's a ... wel... a Green GP650A-UK. Trust me I feel disgusting touching that PSU but everybody says it's good and other then corsair cs there's nothing else available. I have one on my own, ofc its the 3x more expensive version made for (extreme overclocking, meh) but it still works very well! althought the old one I think killed my Graphics card and HDD :|
GPU: sapphire r7 360 2GB OC
motherboard :GIGABYTE B150M-D3h
case: GREEN X3+ VIPER Case

Is this good :?

I don't know anything about monitors and I will just buy him a ok mouse and keyboard later!

The R7 360 video card will be the bottlneck in that build. It's only a 128-bit video card. Can you afford to move up to a R9 380X? Better yet would be an Nvidia GTX 970.

The R7 360 video card will be the bottlneck in that build. It's only a 128-bit video card. Can you afford to move up to a R9 380X? Better yet would be an Nvidia GTX 970.

hmm. wow that's expensie, But i Guess it still is under the budget, But i think a trash monitor like the one i included would be a joke with such a graphics card :)

Now I have 270$~ for monitor and mouse. I think the monitor i chose was a horrible choice, because monitors don't die easily. So A good one will go a long way!

Last edited:
It's not trash...
http://www.trustedreviews.com/benq-gw2270-review

1080p. Decent review...

:O sounds good then!

What do you think about the cooler master PSU? and is it ok if i buy an adata ram instead? the Gskill is on another website it would have to come from 2 different cities :(

and also the components are compatible right?

and what about the ram is it enough? maybe it should be 16gb

Last edited:
:O sounds good then!

What do you think about the cooler master PSU? and is it ok if i buy an adata ram instead? the Gskill is on another website it would have to come from 2 different cities :(

and also the components are compatible right?

and what about the ram is it enough? maybe it should be 16gb

8 gb of RAM is plenty and Adata is an excellent company.

Coolermaster PSUs are hit and miss depending on the model. They make some really good stuff and they make some junk. Just research the individual unit.

8 gb of RAM is plenty and Adata is an excellent company.

Coolermaster PSUs are hit and miss depending on the model. They make some really good stuff and they make some junk. Just research the individual unit.

Thanks a lot for your help :) I will google it now, but what about compatibility?

Also I picked a Kingston HyperX Savage SSD Drive - 120GB on sale for 54$ too! should help a lot :) 750 evo was a lot more expensive and only had 250gb which I am sure he won't need as he has a hdd!

Any components I am missing? I almost forgot to think about the motherboard so... :D

Compatibility of what? RAM? I wouldn't worry about that. Seldom an issue. The only compatibility issues we see much of on the forum is when people run Kingston RAM on AMD chipsets or try to run RAM at extremely high speeds or use unusually large quantities, i.e. when they push the envelope. Then you need to pay attention to the QVM list. Doesn't apply in your case. Get the ADATA RAM.

Last edited:
Compatibility of what? RAM? I wouldn't worry about that. Seldom an issue. The only compatibility issues we see much of on the forum is when people run Kingston RAM on AMD chipsets. Doesn't apply her. Get the ADATA RAM.

I was talking about everything basically everything but ok :D maybe even stupid things like pSu not having enough cables :D or psu cables not reaching motherboard (I had that issue :C)

You should be fine with the components you have chosen. Don't obsess over things. They will play together. If you could move up to the I5 6500 or 6600 it would add a significant performance boost.

You should be fine with the components you have chosen. Don't obsess over things. They will play together. If you could move up to the I5 6500 or 6600 it would add a significant performance boost.

hmm they are out of 6500 and I am already trying to figure out how to reduce 82$ from the price, maybe a cheaper case and no ssds would help :S or no mouse! (he can buy or get a trash mouse :S which is like driving a Bugatti without a wheel imo)

I get anxious and nervous over everything :S I tap the fridge 3 times to make sure it's closed so... yeah :D If i only did the same to my typing

while(True):
print("Thanks a lot :)")

One of my children suffers from many of the same struggles as you do.

Back