• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help chosing a heatsink/fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arill

I am looking to get a new heatsink/fan for my AthlonXP 2500+ Barton.
I looking to start overclocking my pc and need some help with cooling.

ClarkKent

Around here Thermalright heatsinks are very well regarded. I would go with Copper over Aluminum because of the thermal properties in copper are better. Before you buy make sure you know if the HS will fit on your motherboard. And how it will be connected to your motherboard. Some HS use the typical clip but newer ones are using screws to mount it. Which motherboard do you have?

ClarkKent

I used to have that motherboard. Since there are mounting holes you will be limited to HS that only have the standard clip. The capasitors close to your back panel may interfere with larger HS. Read through the AMD Asus motherbaord section and see if there have been any posts concerning this issue.

NovaShine

Most things from Thermalright should be good. I've also heard good things about the Vantec Airflow with the TMD fan. Great price/performance heatsink and it's not that much larger than the stock heatsink too.

Another heatsink i would reccomend (if it fits) is the Zalman CNPS700A series heatsink, either the full copper or half copper half aluminium hybrid one. Great cooling performance and completely silent.

mdcomp

Classic Administrator
archilochus said:
Forget the rest and get the best,
SP- 97 Socket-A Motherboard Compatibility Information
Asus - A7V8X-X

http://www.thermalright.com/support_default.htm

Good choice! I have an SLK800 myself and I wholeheartedly agree that thermalright is the best heatsink company around.
Check out www.svc.com, they usually have some great deals on heatsinks, as well as fans. Also, for optimal cooling go for a 50cfm or better fan (higher the better). Good luck!

Matt

Leviathan41

mdcomp said:
Good choice! I have an SLK800 myself and I wholeheartedly agree that thermalright is the best heatsink company around.
Check out www.svc.com, they usually have some great deals on heatsinks, as well as fans. Also, for optimal cooling go for a 50cfm or better fan (higher the better). Good luck!

Matt

I too have an SLK800 and it does a good job. If you have the money go for the SP-97, if not you will get good results from an SLK-800 or 900. But stick with Thermalright, we recommend them for a reason :D