• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help! - Computer won't boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MechaWyvern

Wait, it wont boot to any other CD? Thats a new one on me..... Maybe try switching out the drive or connecting to a different SATA port (if applicable). Windows being corrupted shouldnt stop the computer from booting to a CD. Have to think about this...

Xtreme Barton

well on an older laptop i kinda had the same issue .. some cd's worked and some didnt ... all of them worked on other machine .. it ended up being a double whammy for me ..bad HD & CD drive

ThePerfectCore

Red Raccoon Dojo
Either your disc drive is bad, or the discs are bad. Go borrow a computer and burn a new XP disc (copy your old one if it can still be read well enough) or burn the Ultimate Boot CD (Google it) and run MemTest from there.

Xtreme Barton

i think for you situation you have a bad cd drive .. your hard drive wouldnt stop your cd drive from reading .. the cd's he has works in other computer which leads me to believe the chances of a bad burn are minimal .. so my chips are on the cd drive

until you change your cd drive i wouldnt mess with your hard drive ..

Vipersfate

Are you getting an error or anything when you're booting a Windows XP CD?

Also, does the motherboard have any puffed caps? Also try swapping out RAM. Memtest may not show a defective module, and it still somehow be bad.

ThePerfectCore

Red Raccoon Dojo
Oddly enough, I had this same problem last night on a system I pulled out of a dumpster.

I figured it would've been a bad IDE controller, cable, CD drive, etc blah blah blah after sitting it freezing temperatures for days, but no.

The hard disk showed up in Windows as part of a failed software RAID array. This was apparently enough to stop the XP CD from booting. UBCD crapped out too.

Try hooking your hard disk up as a slave to another system, back up your stuff (be sure you got everything) and then quick format it. I have a feeling this will fix your issue.

Failing that, I give up on this one. Final diagnosis: bad motherboard.

ThePerfectCore

Red Raccoon Dojo
Black screen, that's exactly the problem I had, and here is how to fix it.

This will destroy the data on your disk.

In Knoppix, open up the console, su root and all that jazz, then:

Code:
dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/sda

The random device might be called something else in Knoppix. Also, I don't know if your hard disk will be sda or hda.

Type that in, run it, let it run for a moment or two. It'll start filling your hard disk with random bytes. This WILL ruin the partition table and master boot record and you will NOT be able to get your data back without a bunch of hassle. It'll run until it hits the "end" of the disk.

Reboot, boot from XP CD, format with the setup program, done.

Disconnect all other disks from the machine before doing this.

TechJunky

Sounds like a bad MBR. Knoppix doesn't require a mbr because its a live cd, and the mbr is essentially on the disk.

FDISK /MBR FTW!

TechJunky

that dd if command wipes disks. Therefore the disks would have to be in the computer for it to wipe them.

Formatting as NTFS/Fat32 etc shouldnt matter, as long as the MBR is wiped you should be ok.

vgta88

holding the buttom for 4-6 seconds to shutdown when in an operating system is normal. in bios It should shut down instantly.

I don't know what problems you are having but are you sure you have your bios setup correctly to boot different drives first?

it sounds like you don't know what your boot options are and that you had cpu or memory stability problems probably from heat or too little voltage.

I can't believe this thread got this far without the op telling us what motherboard or cpu he has or ram for that matter and the combo of settings.

if it's stock pre configured retail it might not have any settings and this would mean it's likely only a heat and drive issue.

if it's overclocked then instability could come into play at any moment and bios settings need to be setup correctly for booting cd's.

btw @ThePerfectCore what do you mean by dumpster? i usually find some useful computer parts on the sidewalk but they are hard to come by. who knows if I might need a floppy drive or some chipset heatsinks for a southbridge or mosfet mod.

Last edited: