• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help connecting (2) 8 pin connectors to GA-Z77X-UP7 mobo.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GruffDaddy

Registered
I recently purchased a GA-Z77X-UP7 mobo and Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 psu. The motherboard requires (2) 8 pin connectors. I seem to have 2 x 4+4-Pin ATX/EPS 12V that come with the psu. These are my questions:

1- The 4+4 connectors have different pin connectors to the PSU. One is 8 pin and the other 12 pin. The 12 pin however has 4 empty pin sockets so in reality I guess it could be considered 8. It connects fine into the PSU. The other however is a 4+4 so there are two clips to attach to the psu. The psu only has room for one clip per connector so I would only be able to connect one 4+4 to the psu unless I shaved off the clips. Any ideas?

2- The pin socket shapes in the connectors don't appear to match up with the mobo connector.The mobo connectors are square shaped at the ends while the psu cable has one square at one end and the other end is pentagonal (5 sided). It still fits but I wanted to make sure if this would be a problem.

Any advice would be deeply appreciated.

The PSU end should be a solid connector, the 4+4 is the motherboard end.
Can you post a couple pictures of the cables? I'd like to be sure we're dealing with the cables that are supposed to ship with the AX850, and that there wasn't a packaging error.

Ok those are pretty standard, the 4+4 part goes into the mobo, the other end goes in the PSU. Should click right in on both ends.

the 8pin connectors on the mobo are SWAPPED, the L of square pins are on the inside. you'll need to swap the 4+4 connectors by twisted them around to make them lineup with the mobo connectors. no biggie, hopefully the ONE you twist around is flexible.

the 8pin connectors on the mobo are SWAPPED, the L of square pins are on the inside. you'll need to swap the 4+4 connectors by twisted them around to make them lineup with the mobo connectors. no biggie, hopefully the ONE you twist around is flexible.

That's... frightening that a mobo maker would screw that up.
Are you positive? I ask because plugging in the CPU power plug backwards will test the short circuit protection of the PSU rather well. If SCP doesn't trigger in time, WHAM!

I'd be inclined to test with a multimeter and make sure that plugging them in that way results in the ground pins on the cable being electrically connected to the ground pins at other motherboard ground points.
I don't like it when things go BAM!

I would double verify that before plugging anything in that way.

Dtrunk, you got pictures? Or where did you read that? Seems crazy.

No offense. If that's right its great insight. Just seems aweful weird!

The newegg product shots have them in the same orientation as the PSU I'm testing at the moment and the cable shots. They should plug right in, unless your motherboard doesn't match the newegg photo.

have you guys seriously never had to tweak a 4+4 to connect it? I think this was the case for hooking up my 680, one of the connectors was upside-down. Anyhow, I looked for like 30mins at newegg, gigabyte, corsair, and the OPs pictures... as far as I can tell, it simply seems like Gigabyte is doing as they please and expecting the system builder to figure it out... as far as i can tell you just have to twist a 4+4 inside-out to get this to work.

but the other guys do have a good point, hooking it up wrong could fry lots of stuff.

Well, I went ahead and plugged the connectors in with all clips oriented to the back of the case. The choice was made for me by the mobo maker who placed the mobo slots right up to the built in mobo coolers so I couldn't install the connectors any other way. Anyway, I held my breath, gritted my teeth, flipped the switch and everything turned on and ran smooth and quiet. I then turned the power off, disconnected the PSU, quickly did a Tebow and proceeded to connect the GPU and audio card. Thanks to everyone for their insight and quick replies!!! CHEERS!

I've used my fair share of boards, never had the 4x4 need twisting. Would like to see a picture of it to prove it exists. LOL

I've yet to see one as well.
Do note that the 6+2 on GPUs is totally different than the 4+4 on mobos.

Back