• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help connecting win xp pro and mandrake 9

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rob3rtz

i want to connect win xp pro and mandrake 9
before using mandrake, i was using Win ME..
they can transfer file(even there is speed problem), share printer, and internet...

now i format win me n use mandrake 9..
it able to connect internet, but i can't see my other comp and access the printer.

i'm newbie to linux n networking..so can anyone guide me or any link to solve this prob.

by the way, my win xp pro is on FAT32 , Mandrake on ext3
and i connect using router (netgear RT 314) and both comp has 10/100 NIC

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
Networking

www.samba.org

And also try searching for posts about using samba to network with Win NT/2k/XP. I'm in the same boat, about to use samba to get my Redhat box on my windows network.

Last edited:
OP
R

rob3rtz

thx..for reply..
i think the link is wrong..it direct me to a bank somewhere in world..

but i'll search about samba..since many people has the same problem

thx

OP
R

rob3rtz

ok.i just configure my samba..
and this is the next problem

my linux is able to see windows share folder..but can't even transfer 1Kb file (i doubt this is OS probelm because i have similar prob with win ME..(very slow transfer speed but still able to transfer)

and my windows xp pro..is able to dtect there is linux comp on the network..
but when i try to access them, it said that it's not accessible or need permision or something like that

how to solve this prob..
thx

by the way i got slight error
when trying to configure the network..i accidently setup the internet connection sharing on linux, after that i couldn't access the internet. i have to disable the Int Con Sharing first, is there a way to disable them for permanent ( so i don't need to manually set them disable anymore)

OP
R

rob3rtz

can somebody guide me through this probs...

i don't what i'am doing..now i can't see the 2nd comp again..try to see the whole comp connected to my workgroup..
but it give me that the workgroup is not accesible. i need permision and contact the administrator(i gues it is me, i own this comp.)

don't know how to solve

both comp is able to ping each other..
linux box..only able to browse the windows (not copying..still have unknown problem)..

windows box..not able to see linux box

Last edited:
OP
R

rob3rtz

thx.. i not sure..but i think i found out hte problem..

we have to enable password encrypt on linux or disable it on windows and add a samba user to give access for windows in linux box..

thx to all who help me..

now the only probs is transfering from windows to linux..
tried posting in networking groups..and still have the problem that unsolveable..yet)

Titan386

What error message do you get when you transfer from windows to linux? Make sure your permissions are set correctly.