• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help cooling my cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I assume that load was encoding? The socket and core temps are pretty close which is good. The thing with the socket temp is it can change a lot depending on the type of load. Some are worse than others. As long as it stays even as it is you will be fine but if you're ever having some trouble with something check that temperature. It will crash/freeze/throttle the PC if it get's up around the low 70c mark.

HWmoni tempMystD.jpg

Guess I'll redo the whole wallmount optically if I have to rebuild it anyway..... I wish I had known this beforehand.
Or I'll just buy a case again, this will be so much work I really don't want to rebuild everything from scratch to fit that fan.

Does anyone know a case where there is already a spot for a 120mm fan to blow on the backside of the MB? The last thing I want to do is cut out metal from a brand new case.

Last edited:
You should be OK the way it is. You've maxed out the cooler already anyway

I don't want the cpu to run at 60 °C. I didn't buy all that expensive watercooling stuff so that the temp goes up to 60 °C. I do a lot of encoding and rendering, that's why I have that monster of a cpu in the first place.

It'll be fine running at 60, not that I recommend it but we have one member who ran in the 70s doing F@H for well over a year without issue.
Comes back to what we said initially to get good WC performance you need the "right" parts.

AMD runs hot. That should be clear from the posts in this thread. At 58-59°C under load you're doing pretty good for that chip. Certainly you can decrease the temps but only after spending some more money. That's the way it goes. Remember the Law of Diminishing Returns becomes a factor at some point. You'll never get to ambient temps no matter what you spend, so don't think in those terms. Have you considered addressing that aspect, ambient temps? The cooler the room the system is in, the easier it is to cool the internals of your PC.

If the fan at the back can really cool it down by 10C I'm gonna go for that. I/m much more comforable if it runs around 50C

That's for the socket temp which in your case is fine. Won't do much for the core/package temp. That's directly related to CPU cooling.

Won't that also benefit the core? Is there any way to get it cooler? I can run this setup like it is for a while but I don't want the 60 to be standard. If I let the pc render or encode 10h+ it might rise to 70 and shut down the pc while I'm doing something else.

How much raddage did you end up with, 240 or 360? Also what are you using for fans on the radiator?

Ambient temp is 20 to 30 °C.

I use 3x Scythe sy1225sl12sl (120mm 500rpm) on a 360 rad just for the CPU. I also have a 5l reservoir. It can't be the rad or fans. I'm guessing it's either the waterflow or the cpu block not warming the water fast enough. Or something I don't know.

I'm using exactly what I've posted earlier that I planned to buy.

Well depending on your ambient temp in the time being, 20C-30C is a huge difference and will show up in the loop. Your CPU chip in general is a hot running chip. In most cases on a intel for example, you'd get much cooler temps on that much heat surface but if the room is 30c for example, it will be warmer because that air is being used to cool the loop. I believe its the combination of your room temps and the chip itself that are getting these temps AND possibly the flow not running with in the 1.0-1.5 GPM efficient range.

Oh wait just reread the meaning of ambient (not native english speaker) room temp is always at 20 or below. The cpu was even at 5 to 10 °C in the morning. But when I use my pc after about 1 hour the core temp is always around 20 to 30. My pc is usually on the whole day. So replacing the cpu block and pump might not make much difference?

I just looked up your radiator and it has 16 fins per inch and is relatively thin. To get good performance out of this you are going to need decently high speed fans with moderate to high static pressure.

The fans you are using are 500rpm fans that are really not meant for pushing through a radiator and this is hurting your cooling potential. I've linked a review on a similar rad below but the takeaway is this rad needs high speed fans. As a comparison this rad with 750rpm fans is estimated to dissipate 170watts of heat at a 10 degree delta by going to 1300 and 1800 rpm fans it is able to dissipate 270 and 350 watts of heat respectively assuming a 1 gpm flow rate.

http://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/02/11/magicool-360-slim-g2-radiator-review/5/

Since you are trying to save some money I would look art getting some yate loon medium or high speed fans to replace the ones you have. They might be a little nosy but they will get the job done until you can afford something better.

I already have faster 120mm fans I can just test the rad with. But I seriously doubt that it's a fans or rad problem or does 5 liters of water heat up to 60 °C in a couple of minutes?

I do not understand your your 60 degree water temperature comment as I do not believe that your water is reaching 60 degrees. Please do not confuse core temp with water temp. Yes for every degree increase in water temperature you will see a one degree increase in core temp but this does not mean your water is the same temp as the core. Most tubing and pumps will not pot up with water temps in the 60s anyways.

As to your 5 liters of fluid, how are you gaining so much capacity by the way, you well see a increase in water temperature pretty quickly with that chip.

So first some assumptions,

That chip is going to generate 220 watt hours of heat

Your radiator with those fans can dissipate let's say 120 watt hours of heat at a 10 degree delta

If your system is 5 liters of water it will take roughly 5.5 watt hours to raise the fluid 1 degree

So now some math.

220 watt hour chip - 120 watt hours of rad = 100 watt hours of heat into the water.

100 watt hours of excess heat / 5.5 watt hours of heat per degree C = 18.18 degree heat rise in one hour

60 minutes / 18.18 degree heat rise per hour = 1 degree heat rise every 3.3 minutes.

So yes you will see a increase in your water temperature rather quickly.

Now please bear in mind this is a very rough estimation and does not take into account increased radiator efficiency as delta t rises but it gets the point across.

All of these calculations are based off of a starting delta of 10 degrees so you are probably seeing about am additional 10 degree heat rise pushing your delta to around 20 degrees. This means if your ambient temp is 20 degrees plus a 20 degree heat rise gives you a 40 degree water temp which is contributing to your high core temp.

Back to my earlier post, If you get better fans that can help dissipate heat better you will be able to maintain a smaller water delta and for every degree you drop the water temp you will see a corresponding degree come of of the core temp. I don't know exactly what fans where used in that review so I cannot give a direct comparison to your fans but I will guarantee that those 500 rpm fans are a major limiting factor in your setup.

Wow ok just a yes the water heats up fast would have been enough XD

I've got a selfmade reservoir, I can put like 15l in there but I only put in 5l. I was going to make it a fountain/reservoir with mist etc. but I got lazy so it's just a big reservoir now.

I've changed the fans and it doesnt make much difference:
Cpu temp_fan change.jpg

But cranking up the pump:
Cpu_with100%pump.jpg

The difference isn't much but it stays more constant and doesn't fluctuate as much.
I think my old papst fans have like 1200rpm, I'll get 3x 1500rpm ones then. You were right I really need better fans but it also seem to be an overall performance problem.
The backside gets too hot for my taste, so I'll go for the fan on the back too and hope if I change those 2 things everything will run smooth.

Last edited:
You were right I really need better fans but it also seem to be an overall performance problem.

I think OP, you rushed into this and didn't read the basics to custom H20 and get a better understanding while not taking the recommended advise here.

Air flow through your radiator lives matters!

I didn't rush into it and I read the basics. Did I think of everything definitely not. I'm lucky it's mainly the fans.

Back