• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help cooling off

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gothstone

Registered
I'm confused. My hardware is great, I'm not even over clocking, and yet my system runs very hot. Please help! heres the specs:

Giga-Byte GA7-VTX mobo (KT133 chipset)
AMD Athlon/Thunderbird 1.4 Ghz 233 FSB CPU
Quantum Fireball AS 30 GB UDMA 100 HD
ATI All In Wonder 128 32 MB AGP Vid Card
3Com 905 Nic
Mitsumi Floppy
Delta 52x CDrom
Mitsumi 8x4x32 CDRW

Case (unmodified) has
350 Watt Power supply, AMD approved, don't remember make
4 80 MM Sunon intake fans in block in front
1 80 MM Sunon intake fan directly over CPU
2 80MM Delta output fans in rear below PS fan

CPU uses Arctic Silver II thermal compound with a Vantec CCK-6035D copper heatsink with its origional 60x60x25 MM fan. I took off the grill cuz it made too much noise.

My IDE and Floppy cables are rounded high speed cables.

Now for my temps:
Idle, no cooling software: 52C
Idle, CPU Idle Pro: 37C
CPU maxed: 58C

Case temp seams to be stable at 35C no matter what I do.
I get my temps with Giga-Bytes SIV, other programs don't seem to work well on my board.

This really seams to hot for me, and while CPU Idle is a great prog, its dependent on me not useing my machine.

Any ideas, help, or comments would be greatly appriciated!!!

-Todd Jordan

Geeze 6 case fans? First off try having less intakes, more outakes. You really want closer to 2-in 2-out (or 4-in 4-out I guess,,but the noise.....even with quiet fans the air shear will be loud). You may be getting hot air trapped and circulating through the case right now cause your exhuast fans cant funnel it out, causeing positive (but not) pressure (I think thats right..the concept is the wording may not be). Also the Vantek HS isnt that great and you have the hottest running stock CPU to date, thunderbirds put out some major wattage. Look into an Alpha PAL8045, or Swiftech MCX462, have also heard great things about the Volcano 7+, but havent tried it myself. Those are your best options short of watercooling. Hope I helped.

Josh

First...Welcome to the Forum

Your temps do seem a bit high and as mentioned you may have some turbulence inside your case. As long as your case has good airflow then 2 input and 2 output fans should be sufficient. The Vantec heatsink should work just fine especially since your system is not overclocked. Also AS2 must be applied in a very thin layer following this procedure (if you put it on too thick your temps will go up)http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

As far as temp monitoring what are you using b/c some progs can be way off. You can check temps with several different programs or also in the bios but if your temp is actually 58C then your heatsink will be very warm to the touch.

Honestly I would make sure your heatsink is properly set and then invest in some better temperature probes. There is nothing I see that could really be holding you back. And for the record....turbulence isn't going to do THAT to your temperatures. Having positive airflow with that many fans is a good thing. It cools your whole system, not just where the probes are. Two 80mm fans blowing out...besides the PSU fan...with five 80's blowing in...is a bit much coming in...but it isn't going to screw up airflow so badly that it would constitute those kind of temps.

And there goes my 2¢

I've played with disconnecting some of my input fans, it only changed my case temp, not cpu. It seams to flutuate less with all 4. I did follow the directions on arctic silvers page, and found that when I was useing cheap white stuff I had been using to much. The arctic silver is a very, very think layer, and I wiped it into the heatsink as well. I am willing to accept that the sensors/prog are lousey. Any one have suggestions on a good program and a temp sensor that won't break the bank? I email giga-byte a while ago to see if their cpu sensor was off consistantly, but never got a reply. If anyone else has a giga-byte board, please tell me how much your temps seam off by. Who knows, mabey my chips really cool, and I justs don't know.

Todd Jordan

Good ideas, Here are some more...

I have the same CPU oc@ 1.667 w/ MSI K7T266a pro2-ru. I use a volcano 7 HSF. I get 46 C under load and 40 C at idle with [email protected]. 37 C with [email protected] volts.
The key to my temps is the ported duct I put over the HSF fan. It draws cool outside air in right onto the heatsink. Looks great too. That duct dropped my temps by 15 degrees compared to running the machine without it and with the case open! email me by clicking onmy profile button if you want pics of what it looks like and how to do it.

Solo

cooling software is a waste. Dont even bother with it. If your computer is that high to begin with you need to lower temps somehow. Can you make a diagram that shows where all the fans are or maybe even get some pictures? I think its good to have the air flowing from bottom front(intake) to back top (exits case there) from what I've seen but we can help more with a picture of some sort.

Robbiem01 is right. A diagram would help a little. I think I have a good idea of what your set up looks like though. If you want a good temperature probe that is on the cheaper side then you can go HERE and pick up a compunurse temperature probe. They are both cheap and accurate. Good luck.

Last edited:
Now for my temps:
Idle, no cooling software: 52C
Idle, CPU Idle Pro: 37C
CPU maxed: 58C

Case temp seams to be stable at 35C no matter what I do.
I get my temps with Giga-Bytes SIV, other programs don't seem to work well on my board.

Todd how hot is it in the room your computer is setup in? Your case temp is 35C? That's 95F wow! My system is balanced with the same cfm in and out, but keeping it in a hot room kept the case and cpu pretty hot. I finally moved it out of the hot room and my CPU runs at 40C with the MB at around 27-28C.

blckhawk

Back