• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help finding cost/performance sweet spot for Fortnite

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stompah

Deep Pain Senior Member
Yes, I know Fortnite can run on a TI Calculator. But the graphics ain't that great.

My current setup:

1700 Ryzen (stock but can overclock a bit)
16Gb RAM
GT 730 2GB
250Gb SSD
EVGA 430W PSU

So I am needing an upgrade pretty badly. I game on a 21" monitor and while I have zero lag I have horrible resolution. It makes seeing an enemy far away much harder. If I am playing a team based game I can see a person far away but cannot see the chevron over his head stating he is a teammate.

So I thought a budget of $100 would be good. But searching on Newegg shows A LOT of $80 GT 730 cards. So now I am in analysis paralysis mode. Everytime I think I have found something I think well for $30 more I get this... and then another $30... and then another $30 and I start bumping on limits of my PSU. It just keeps snowballing.

I am hoping some of you have some real world experience with a midrange card that will give me decent graphics with Fortnite.

I am on the edge of my seat eagerly awaiting your input!

Eugene, you gotta scrounge up a few more Knickles man. Your best bet would be a 1060. Nothing else will play FN at decent settings and framerates. Anything else behind a 1060 is a waste of money. Maybe you can snag a used/ lightly mined on 1060 for under 150 and will not over tax that 430w psu you have.

Dino, I am trying to stay new. My last PNY card bit the dust outside of the warranty and I am left with a $200 paperweight. So used would only be an option if it was a deal I couldn't pass up.

I have been looking at the RX 570. It seems about 25% slower than the 1060 series. The below cards I saw on Newegg both are 8GB. The next closest new decent brand is $190 without a rebate and is only 3GB.

MSI RX 570 8GBs

$155AR
$150AR

Ok, I take back the decent. From first hand experience I am so-so on Gigabyte quality.

1060s 3GBs

$155AR
$190

Is the 5GB going to make a difference? This comparison shows the 3Gb ahead in Fortnite. But that doesn't show the memory size of the RX 570s.

Thanks for the help Dino. What are you running BTW?

Why pay extra for a GTX 1060 when an RX 580 performs the same (if not better) for a much lower price?

RX 570 would be an ever better buy.

So I ended up with the RX 570. Great card, great graphics but too much for my PSU. I currently have it running on a loud PSU. I now need a silent PSU upgrade. SMH it never ends LOL

Fortnite at max settings. So much nicer to play.

Back