• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help finding Female-Female IDE adaptor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Randyman...

Hello,

I am looking for an IDE adaptor to use a IDE-to-USB converter I have - but I need to to mount it direcly onto the rear of a removeable 5.25" caddy bay. To do this, I need a Female-to-Female IDE 40-pin "Gender Changer".

Right now, I'm using a short IDE cable, and the oreintation of the converter is not what I need (and it is "tie wrapped" to a wire bundle), and a simple SMALL Female-to-female IDE adaptor would allow the weight of the converter to be supported by the HD bay/caddy, and unobtrusive mounting (no wire ties or airflow restrictions).

I searched here, and Belkin, and a Google search - but I don't see any female-to-female 40pin IDE's - just SCSI, VGA, DB25, and 2.5"-to-3.5" adaptors. Essentially, all I need is a standard IDE cable, but w/o any length to it - just a 1/2" adaptor.

Thanks for any links! :cool:

OP
Randyman...

Randyman...

I considered this, but I really need a "firm" adaptor to be able to hold the weight of the IDE-USB board (or it will not stay where I need it, and I'll be right back to wire-tieing it in place like I am now). The oreintation of the USB plug will also be affected with the limited options I have for tie-wrapping.

I think these female-to-female IDE adaptors are just not made?

Maybe I will just de-solder the Male header on the USB card, and solder in a Female socket? I'll have to find one with an "offset" to allow the female to reach the caddie's IDE port (a "Flush" connector would not work - it needs to extend out about 1.5" from the PCB of the USB box)

Thanks for the suggestion (and the BUMP!)

Later :cool:

Dukeman

I've been in the drive business for awhile and never heard of a female to female 40 pin adapter (doesn't mean it doesn't exists, just that its under a very remote rock). I also think a 1.5" 40 pin header will be hard to find. I would recommend a simpler approach.

Get 2 40 Pin female headers and cable and make the cable as long as you need it. But then epoxy the headers to a stiff base like a project PCB from Radio Shack. This should provide the support you need and allow you to make it just the right length.