• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help finding good PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cown

My (some soon to arrive, I hope) hardware will consist of:

Q9450 ES

Rampage Formula

4 Gb PC8500

2 x 3870X2 1 Gb

RaptorX 150Gb

2 x T166 500Gb

-

Now for this hardware I currently only have an Enermax Liberty 500W PSU, which as far as I can tell is far from enough...

Since I have a Lian Li PC-A10B case which supports dual PSU's I'd really like to take advantage of this feature...

Now as I figured it out the new PSU which I need is only gonna be running my dual 3870X2 cards, and for that I am gonna need 2 x 8 pins switches, so the PSU needs to have that... (My Enermax has none, it only has the regular 6 pins, and if I'm not a complete idiot I would like to think that 500W for CPU, mobo and harddrives is more than enough)

-

So I was wondering if you guys would be so kind as to recommend me a good CPU, price isnt really any of my concern, but I was thinking in the range of 600-800W since I don't want it to be overkill...

I am not gonna name any of the models I've been looking at, because I want YOUR advice of what I should get, and not be influences by some of the PSU's I've looked at...

I would appeciate it very much.

Thank you in advance :)

Cown

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
your going to be using a 500watt no need for 600-800. you will be fine with anothre 550 or even 500watt psu. i would look at the corsair units...

RollingThunder

Destroyer of Trolls & Spammers
My (some soon to arrive, I hope) hardware will consist of:

Q9450 ES

Rampage Formula

4 Gb PC8500

2 x 3870X2 1 Gb

RaptorX 150Gb

2 x T166 500Gb

-

Now for this hardware I currently only have an Enermax Liberty 500W PSU, which as far as I can tell is far from enough...

Since I have a Lian Li PC-A10B case which supports dual PSU's I'd really like to take advantage of this feature...

Now as I figured it out the new PSU which I need is only gonna be running my dual 3870X2 cards, and for that I am gonna need 2 x 8 pins switches, so the PSU needs to have that... (My Enermax has none, it only has the regular 6 pins, and if I'm not a complete idiot I would like to think that 500W for CPU, mobo and harddrives is more than enough)

-

So I was wondering if you guys would be so kind as to recommend me a good CPU, price isnt really any of my concern, but I was thinking in the range of 600-800W since I don't want it to be overkill...

I am not gonna name any of the models I've been looking at, because I want YOUR advice of what I should get, and not be influences by some of the PSU's I've looked at...

I would appeciate it very much.

Thank you in advance :)

Cown

Cown,

What do you have available to you in Denmark?

OP
Cown

Cown

I'd just get a single Corsair TX750W and call it a day. It's got 4 6+2 PCIe connectors, which is the reason I selected it for my system. $125 after rebate is a steal for this thing.. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

You oughta be able to sell that Enermax for $75 or more, it's still $100 AR on newegg..

That was among one of my picks :)

Cown,

What do you have available to you in Denmark?

Everything

GameSinewPCs

Game-Sinew President
Considering that you'll be needing the 2x8pin PCI-E connectors, you will be needing to buy a higher end PSU anyhow. So, consider what ratbuddy said and look into selling your enermax and purchasing a higher end PSU. Also, if you would prefer not doing that, I believe there are adapters on the market for 8pin PCI-E connections(don't quote me on this as I've never had to research it before and simply use PSU's with 8pin connectors available. Consider the following companys, Corsair, PC Power and Cooling, Zalman, Enermax, Thermaltake and Tagan as your best bets. You'd probably do fine with a single 750TX from Corsair. If you are going with a second PSU, then I suggest looking into modular designs as you may find yourself crowded with all of the wires from two PSU units in one case.