• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help from a cooling guru

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ronin1967

Rig in my Sig. The case has two front intake fans and one rear exhaust fan. The Case temps hover around 27-32C depending on what speed I run the intake fans, the CPU is around 37-39C. When I take a side panel off the case temps rise to about 31-32C and the PCU drops to around 34C. Do I need to beef up my intake or exhaust? You would think with a cooler interior the CPU would be cooler, but that is not the case, so what do I need to do?

Last edited:
many users have luck w/ positive airflow, say twice the exhaust :) .. try getting more fresh air into the case (a single 120mm fan w/ 100cfm should be more than enough). cut a hole in your side panel, then put it on .. brrr .. your rig should be chillin'

I'm no guru, but given the fact that your CPU temp goes down when the side panel is off, I would say you need more air exchange. I would also think that a blowhole to let the hot air gathering around the top of the case would be in order.

My $0.02

Bob

I assume the case temp is being read off the motherboard and not an independant probe hanging in the case somewhere. If so, the sensor for it is probably getting a good stream of air with the case closed and the air is going elsewhere with the case open. The other possibility is that the CPU fan getting more air with the case open is directing more of the waste heat from it toward the case temp sensor. Either way, it is probably not telling you the overall average air temp is inside the case. If you can find that sensor (usually not very obvious) at least you can get some idea about how airflow changes with the case closed.

I have to agree on getting a bit more inlet air probably being a help. Going with more air in that out has always worked pretty well for me. The extra air will find a way out, and that way is usually a more direct route than if you have exhaust fans pulling it all over the case first. You could drop CPU temps most directly by cutting in a blowhole over the CPU, but try to keep in mind where the hot air coming off the heatsink is going to go. That output heat directing right over your video card isn't going to be any help. ;) If its possible, a combination of inlet to the CPU, and outlet from the CPU will do the most good for both case and CPU temps. This is exactly why a lot of people duct air in and out for the CPU, to give it cooler air and to keep it from dumping heat into the rest of the case.

I'd say your temps are good- but I would have an outlet in the top of your case. but I'd use a low cfm fan in your blowhole though, it will keep the noise down and wont pull air from everywhere- you only need to move the heat festering in the top of your case.

Back