• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help getting file off windows xp machine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Terranova

I'm having a serious problem trying to get a Microsoft outlook backup off of a crashed windows XP install. Each time I plug the laptop hard drive into my desktop with windows 7 it freezes my computer. So I decided to try it with Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit and it works just fine. So, I try to get this outlook backup I made just before his XP install crashed and won't start but I wasn't able to copy the backup to an external device so now it's stuck on the hard drive of his laptop. I know exactly where the file is and I go to copy it and I'm really happy that I was able to access his drive with Ubuntu but each time I try to copy the file to the desktop it fails 3/4 of the way EVERY time (177.4mb out of 236.4mb). This seems to be the ONLY file that I can't pull off of his hard drive. I tried using terminal to copy it, I tried to burn it to a disc, I tried copying it within his hard drive. I've tried everything I can think of. I REALLY need this file. This is 6+ years of his business email accounts, email contacts, and emails. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

chawks2

Try getting a 2.5" USB enclosure. You should be able to pull the data via this method.

johnz

What format is the file in? Will it open in the application that generated it?

David

Forums Super Moderator
Try the hard-disk-in-the-freezer trick. It's usually my last resort, but has worked for me a couple of times. Put it in a sealed bag in the freezer overnight, remove it and let it warm to RT and then try again. It depends why the drive wont work: if the platters are screwed you would perhaps need professional help to recover the data. However, if the mechanism is jammed the freezer might work.

Neuromancer

Before you go about hurting the hard drive

Try going into the alternative OS section and find out how to make sure the file is chmodded to allow you to pull it. Also see what kind of open source diagnostic utilities are available (linux version of chkdsk for example)

OP
T

Terranova

Try getting a 2.5" USB enclosure. You should be able to pull the data via this method.
I am using an external enclosure for the hard drive.

Sounds like the drive has failed. You're hosed.
But I'm able to access everything on the hard drive and copy the files to my computer, this .pst file is the only one that I can't copy to my computer fully.
What format is the file in? Will it open in the application that generated it?
I don't know if it will or not because the partition that the file is on shows up as a RAW partition in Windows 7 so I can't even see the files on that partition but I can see the files on all the other partitions.
Before you go about hurting the hard drive

Try going into the alternative OS section and find out how to make sure the file is chmodded to allow you to pull it. Also see what kind of open source diagnostic utilities are available (linux version of chkdsk for example)
Ok, I'll give that a try.

deed

I am using an external enclosure for the hard drive.

But I'm able to access everything on the hard drive and copy the files to my computer, this .pst file is the only one that I can't copy to my computer fully.

I don't know if it will or not because the partition that the file is on shows up as a RAW partition in Windows 7 so I can't even see the files on that partition but I can see the files on all the other partitions.

Ok, I'll give that a try.

Yeah chmod should be your best bet... ittl teach you to make more then 1 backup for now on though :)

OP
T

Terranova

Yeah chmod should be your best bet... ittl teach you to make more then 1 backup for now on though :)

Well that's the thing. I am an avid backerupper, and the only reason there is a backup at all is because I made it. But when I tried to copy it to the server the same thing happened that is happening now. It would get to 3/4 of the way done and wouldn't go any further and gave an error in Windows XP. So I couldn't even back the damn thing up. I couldn't even burn it to a disc or copy it to flash drive. I think this is all sorts of fail. Can I get microsoft office outlook 2003 in linux and try to open the file with it within linux since windows cant seem to see the partition?

johnz

Can I get microsoft office outlook 2003 in linux and try to open the file with it within linux since windows cant seem to see the partition?

I think the only way to do this would be to run MS Office in Wine, but you'd have to do that from an actual Linux box, not a CD.

vgta88

if it was me, i'd make sure it was running cold 30-40°c (during heavy operation), 50 - 55 is hot, then run diagnostics and recovery on the drive, keeping in mind that all data may not be recoverable. don't use the windows program, its useless.

(recovery programs might fill corrupted data with junk data and move the rest of the file to a safe area of the drive just so you can back up what's left)

make sure to try reading smart data first to see if everything checks out in a program that displays s.m.a.r.t. data before hand (speedfan)

(severe errors will mean any recovery could kill the drive, thats why you read the smart data, to see how far the drive is down the toilet.)

Depending on the number of bad sectors, it might mean some mechanical damage in which case your many attempts at reading will just result in more wear and tear of the already questionable mechanical state the harddrive is in, possibly killing it faster or make recovery mroe difficult if not impossible.

if it looks like only a few(10) bad sectors (anything near 100 looks really bad), then run the linux chkdsk ( i have no experience with) or any good recovery program. Personally I use spinrite, it's a disk checking ultiliy and it only attempts to read the data a million times and recovery what it can't read.

I can't really recommend the linux program because I haven't used it and question it's ability to recover data while on the other hand spinrite, provided I use it correctly, has recovered simple one or two bad sectors and corrupted data that wouldn't let me boot into windows once.

The key with spinrite after some experience is to just keep the harddrive cool, (reading the ENTIRE drive NON STOP creates HEAT (because reading is the fastest thing a hdd will do)that can kill the drive but you also need to set it to read only so it doesn't try to write all over the place). This is all spinrite specific, setting it to read only will generate heat in spinrite, setting it to refresh will read and write, its slower and generates less heat but you could be writing to sections of the drive that can fail later on. Once it finds a problem, you should note the area on paper and try to run only recovery on that section. it might get hot and the process is long when you try to do recovery. (btw spinrite doesn't fix file system errors, only the data that is stored as 1's and 0's.) I don't know any other alternative that will help.

if its really bad and no loss of data is acceptable then send it to a professional recovery center.

Last edited: