• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help guys :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dinoo

Registered
I just purchased a abit nf7-s, xp2600, 512 ram, 80gig sata hd, and new case.
my problem is I have it all together and hit the power button and it fires up for 2 seconds then shuts down. case fans, cpu fan start up but shuts right down. I've tried resetting cmos (but did not take the batery out), i've tried to boot it with just the vga card and nothing else but same thing runs 2 seconds then shuts off. any ideas thanks in advance

masterwoot

i'd check to see that you have the polarity correct on all your case to mobo wires first.
next, i'd isolate down to the barebones: both power supplies connectors to mobo, cpu, heat sink w/ fan (is that fan plugged in??), ram, only the power switch for the case wires, and perhaps your graphix card (i wonder what the bios would do if there wasn't one in??).
if you're comp doesn't stay on for more than the 2 seconds, i'd start switching out stuff: ram, psu, heat sink fan, cpu, gfx card -- only one at a time, so you know what's bad.

good luck!

OP
D

dinoo

Registered
A lil more info on exactly what I bought from newegg.

MB nForce2|5P1A4D NF7-S V2 ABIT ATX
CPU AMD|2600/333 ATHLON XP BARTON
DDRAM 512M|PC-3200 991093 MUSHKIN
HD 80GB|HITC SATA 8MB 13G0252
CASE ASPIRE| XDREAMER II ATX BLK
plus a round floppy, round ide cables (for my dvd+cd-r)
and windows xp, and still gonna use my GF4 TI vid card til I
can upgrade that in the future.

I isolated to bare system. mb, cpu, cpu fan, ram, & vid card. Still
same thing system boots for 2 seconds then shuts down. I ran out of
waking hours last nite (too ****** off and too tired to screw with it anymore)
gonna try diff psu and ect.. tonite.

But will this mb take my older 900mhz thunderbird, and pc133 ram
for testing?

And one last thing, (sorry for being a pain in the arse) my case aspire
x-dreamer-II it has a LCD cpu temp reading in front of case, (I did not
get a book with case) not sure where to put the very thin temp probe
that monitors the cpu temp. between cpu and fan?

Thanks again for your help guys.

enduro

Is your hsf seated properly? If not, I seem to remember reading somewhere the computer will shut down automatically. Just a guess.
What power is your p/s? You'll need a 300W to run a AMD system overclocked, although I'm sure a 250 would probably run it normally. Other than that, make sure that all of the cables, especially the two mobo power cables, are plugged in. I'm not sure about this, but you might checked to see if your motherboard is grounded on something and is shorting out. Check for metal contacts, or (joke) you could hold your hand on the case while it is powering (/joke). The reverse polarity is a possibility. Make sure that you don't have cables backwards

@md0Cer

Things to check:

• Check to make sure your heatsink is seated properly. IF not the CPU will get extremely hot when you first turn it on and shut itself off.
  • Make sure everything is plugged in correctly, power and data cables. My computer does not restart, but it will freeze after a couple seconds in the power on self test if my CD drive is plugged into the motherboard but has no power.
  • listen for any abnormal error beeps, any more than one single beep means there is a problem.
  • Make sure the power switch is connected properly or is not sticking.
    -----Make sure reset button is connected properly or is not sticking.
    ----------Take all of the case wires off of the motherboard. Speaker, led, buttons, etc. Then take a flathead screw driver and touch it up against the 2 pins for the power switch. Make sure it is the 2 for the power switch! Dont slip and hit anything else! Release as soon as it starts.
  • make sure you did not get any thermal paste on the motherboard or any other component. Some thermal pastes are electrically conductive.

Good Luck! IF you have any questions PM me!

OP
D

dinoo

Registered
Thanks guys, I will try this stuff out when I get off work.

Any comment on the temp probe???? also will this mb run
my older stuff pc133 ram and 900 thunderbird? thanks again

@md0Cer

No unfortunatly I do not think it will run those older components. I know for sure it will not run the pc133 ram. It will not fit in the DIMM sockets.

The temperature diode I spoke of is integrated into the CPU core. I recomend going by that temperature reading instead VS. the socket reading. But, if your CPU is not making contact with the heatsink and it is overheating right when you turn it on, the computer will turn itself off.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

-0cer
:cool:

OP
D

dinoo

Registered
Ok, I got the system to boot, it was the HS not seated right or something.
I took it off and put it back on and she fired right up. Thanks for the help..

BUT, now i go to install windows xp, i did a fdisk and created a partition and
made it active and formatted it. windows setup starts and say hit enter to
continue setup or hit R for recovery or F3 to exit. I hit enter and it says
there is not a hard drive connected in the system. make sure cables are
connected.

I check the bios and I have SATA enabled. I checked the plugs and they
connected (power and sata cable). I have my dvd drive hooked up to
IDE #1, since I do not have an IDE hd, is that correct?

thanks again in advance for your help

enduro

Yeah, I have a NF7-S, and it came with a serillel converter for ide to serial. I could never get it to work. Supposedly, you're supposed to load the SATA drivers in Windows, and then put them on a disk and boot up with the disk in so that you can load the drivers in dos too..... I don't know, I could never get it to work out. Maybe I used the wrong drivers, there were two choices, 4227 and 4272 or something like that. I had a 50% chance.

OP
D

dinoo

Registered
Up And Runnin !!!!!! Thanks alot guys I really appreciate your help