• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NEED HELP !!! i7 4790K - Processor Temp issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Salman_Saheb

Registered
Hi friends!

My Rig

27972382_2047345755479144_6633569010588121759_n.jpg

Gigabyte B85M-D3H (Rev 1.1) - BIOS Version F15 (All settings i.e. voltage and core settings are set to Auto)
Intel i7 - 4790K (Turbo On)
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
Corsair H100i V2 Liquid Cooler (Installed last night)
Gigabyte Aorus Geforce GTX 1060 Xtreme Edition 6GB (Rev 2.0)
FSP Epsilon 600Watts 80Plus
Corsair Crystal 570X RGB (Installed last night)

I have problem since last 3 - 4 months i.e. Processor temperature reaches in a flash (not gradually i.e. straight 35C to start 98C-100C) to 100C during gaming or when put load on processor. Last night did Cinebench and temp straight goes to 100C i.e. from 35C to 100C (no 60, no 70 but straight to 100C. However, when I stop cinebench, temp comes straight to 35C.

Check temp in bios and its showing me 85C and start going higher n higher whereas processor was running @ 4.1 Ghz.

I pull out 4790K and install intel i3 - 4130 processor and same happening with intel 4130. This is happening since last November 2017.

I also played game at i3 4130 with Gigabyte GT 740 2GB Graphics Card but result is same. Temp reach high.

Last night at 4790K with GTX 1060, played Far Cry 4 and GTA V around 30 Minutes with temp @100C but there was not a single lag in-game, even run FireFox during gaming and start surfing on net and watch movies on Youtube as well as also open Adobe Photoshop Cc and did little designing but nothing happens to system. No shutdown, no Lag. System was running smoothly and processor easily reach around 4.3Ghz.

I don't know whats the problem i.e. why temperature shows higher but system is running smoothly?

Last edited:
Is the pump running? Did you apply thermal paste? Mounted properly? If its instantly shooting to 100c amd yoy are 85c in the bios either its not making contact or that pump isnt running.

Is the pump running? Did you apply thermal paste? Mounted properly? If its instantly shooting to 100c amd yoy are 85c in the bios either its not making contact or that pump isnt running.

Yes Pump is running. I also installed Corsair Link software for Liquid Cooler and that's also showing that Pump is running and Cooler is working well.

This same is happening when installed i3 4130, the temp reached high. This start happening in around last November 2017, when I was playing a game @ Gigabyte GT 740 2GB at lower settings with core i3 -4130 Processor. I suddenly noticed that Heatsink Fan start spinning at high speed.

I was surprised that whats happening, earlier I thought that GPU is taking load, so I checked GPU but later I found that Fan of Heatsink (Intel Stock Heatsink) is spinning at higher speed.

After that I got processor i7 4790K and same problem occurs. Same problem with both processors not possible.

I read on net and found that this may also occur if motherboard's sensor got faulty. What you say?

Im confused. 2 days ago you wanted to know which cooler to buy. Now you say this has been happening for 3-4 months????

Sensors may be off... but doubtful. When it hits 100c in windows check and see if the clocks drop when it hits that temperature (you can use cpuz to check).

Sounds like this current cooler isnt mounted right. You took the plastic off, right?

Could be a faulty sensor but the first thing I would check if the pump is good and installed correctly is shut the machine off, clear the CMOS and pull out the battery for ~ 10 minutes. This will re-set the BIOS completely

Could be a faulty sensor but the first thing I would check if the pump is good and installed correctly is shut the machine off, clear the CMOS and pull out the battery for ~ 10 minutes. This will re-set the BIOS completely

OK. I will do this when I reach to home as right now in Office.

However, Last night I did this:

1) Check Radiator while processor running and that was exhausting Cool Air.
2) I set Performance profile via Corsair Link Software to run fan fast but result is same.
3) When system showing 100C Temp, I touch the side of Heatsink and its very minor hot.
4) Checked Temp while processor comes in turbo mode and Voltages were OK. (I will take screen shot tonight and post)

Anyway, I will do tonight and let you know.

However, tell me how to know if Pump is not working? So I may check that also.

On that AIO the pump is located on top of the CPU. Just put your hand on it you should be able to feel it running.
Since this has followed you from the stock cooler to the AIO it's not likely that the pump is faulty.
When did you update the BIOS for the board? Did this happen after that?

What software are you checking temps with?

I'm with Blaylock, I wonder if you put any thermal paste between the water block/heat sink and the CPU.

I asked that in the 2nd post of the thread but he didnt respond to that specifically. :(

These come with pre applied paste (right?), so the first mount should have had paste. After he retried it, then he needed to be reapplied.

Use realtemp or coretemp for cpu temps.

I'm of the belief that pre-applied TIM is, let's just say, less than ideal. (Different MFG's will be YMMV naturally)

cooler.JPG

tim.JPG

But the Corsair AIO is pre applied and they do a decent job of it.

Yes but we don't know if any of these mounts are the first mount out of the box. I mean there are noobs out there who would remove a cooler and see the gray gunk and think, "Hmm, wonder what that is? I'd better clean it up." And then just stick the bare bottom cooler back on.

Actually though, I'm thinking this is probably a motherboard issue with the power delivery system, the bios or a bad sensor.

Thanks for your replies. What I did:

1) Remove Corsair Sink and saw that thermal paste was gone though I applied thermal paste
2) I Thermal Paste again and put the sink tightly (not hard)
3) Start the system and check in BIOS the temp was on 80C then start heading-up to 91C (Gradually)

4) Start RealTemp and CPU-Z to check idle temp (you can check Idle Temp and Voltage in Pic)
IDLE.jpg

5) Did XSBENCH
XSBENCH.jpg

6) Start Sensor Test and its jump straight to 99C to 100C (Check Temp, Utilization, Speed and Voltage)
Prime95.jpg

7) Prime Test Continue (at that time, touched the downside of Heatsink and was not like processor running at 100C but system showing its 100C)
Prime tests.jpg

8) When I stop PrimeTest, The temp directly reached to 35C (Checked PIC)
after test.jpg

9) Then run CPU-Z Bech Test and again processor temp directly reached to 98C but when stop the test, Temp reached to 35C
CPUZ BENCH.jpg

10) Last open Corsair Link Software and Bench on CPU-Z, the Processor Temp reached to 100C but Pump Temperature on 32C
Corsair.jpg

11) Played FarCry 4 (at Ultra / All Settings at Max) and Temp reached to 83C

Lastly downgraded bios to F14 version but result is same.

Could you please install HWMonitor (non pro version) and have it open on the desktop while you run Prime95? Have the HWMonitor user interface expanded so we can see everything from the very top down through the core temp section. Then attach pics please. I want to see what your maximum processor voltages are under load. HWMonitor will give us a wealth of information about temps and voltages of not only the processor but the motherboard.

Ill bet it isnt a voltage issue... :)

Look at those temps in Realtemp. 100C / 93C / 64C / 49C.....that spread is nkt right!

Either the heatsink isnt mounted right or too little paste. Or maybe the tim between the ihs and die broke its seal. If it was a voltage thing, all cores would be a lot closer together.

OP says he also gets high temps when using an i3 with the stock HSF so something is wrong that has to be a common denominator when CPU and cooling are eliminated as issues.

Im betting its a poor mount of the intel cooler (easy) and either a poor mount or poor paste application coverage now with new cooler. They do no have to be related.

Really, what happened before can be anything so i am focusing on the now. :)

Back