• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help installing new Nivdia Driver (40.75)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Duster.

Need help installing new Nivdia Driver (40.75)

Hi,
I've tried to install the new Nivdia driver today without success. I keep getting an error when I try to get into the control panel for this driver.
The error message is- An error occurred while windows was working with the Control Panel file C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DESK.CPL

The only clue I have is in Nview, where it lists all the file versions, all are 40.75 except this one IEXPLORE.EXE 6.0.2800.1106.

I unstalled the old drivers first (30.75),loaded windows with the standed PCI driver, then deleted the Nivida folder . I then installed the 40.75 drivers.
Can you tell me where I have gone wrong?

Thanks very much.

Kato

Addicted Tweaker
What you can try is uninstall your driver, reboot systems in safe mode, search for nv*.* and kill anything you found. Reboot again in normal mode, and then reinstall the driver.

repo man11

You can also run a utility for updating from the 30.xx to 40.xx drivers that does the same thing, if you're not comfortable with going into your registry. It is available in the Downloads section at :http://www.guru3d.com/
Either way will work, it is up to you.

Intrepid

dont use the 40s. I have heared that lots of ppl have ben having problems with these drivers. my friend used em and he ended up with dissapering wallsi n CS. I tried em and it crached my video completly, needed to reinstall a bunch of stuff. use the 38s if you can find em.

ratts

kato is right

go into safe mode and remove all nv files present......try uninstalling agp driver also and then reinstalling agp first, then install det. drivers......but do this in safe mode though..... i use new updated agp drivers with new det. drivers.....and visa versa
original agp drivers with original det. drivers.....blah,blah,blah

ahhhh, i only have 2 stars.....:(

OP
Duster.

Duster.

thanks for your help guys....
I used the driver fix file, and it seems to be working now.

Do you know if this problem only affects certain pc's, or does it affect all pc's updating from the 30.xx's series drivers?
Does the problem only happen with certain O/S's, or does it not matter? the problem I had occurred with a Win ME pc with a GeForce 3 video card and a VIA chipset.
I have another PC running Win XP PRO, a Geforce 4 , with an Intel Chipset, At the moment it's runing 30.75 drivers, do you think I'll have a problem if I try to use the 40.72 too?

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited:

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
here is the ranking of how to get stars:

0 - 10 - No Stars
11 - 50 - 1 Star
51 - 100 - 2 Stars
101 - 250 - 3 Stars
251 - 500 - 4 Stars
501 - 750 - 5 Stars
751 - 1000 - 6 Stars
1001 - 2000 - 7 Stars
2001 - 4000 - 8 Stars
4001 or more - 9 Stars

you can see the original post at http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=122094 if you don't believe me :)

what card is it that you are using right now? just curious.

ferria

why did you delete everything before?i never delete the old driver when i change to new once and never regret it.there is no need for that .only when you change from NVIDIA to ATI is it very important to delete all the old drivers but not when you upgrade existing NVIDIA driver.

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
ferria said:
why did you delete everything before?i never delete the old driver when i change to new once and never regret it.there is no need for that .only when you change from NVIDIA to ATI is it very important to delete all the old drivers but not when you upgrade existing NVIDIA driver.

yep, same here... never had a single problem with the detonators... i have switched back and forth from driver set to driver set trying to find the best ones and no problems here with winxp pro

OP
Duster.

Duster.

ferria said:

Hi,
In the past, If I didnt unstall the old drivers first, some of the old driver would remain after the new driver was installed. So, I was told it was best to uninstall the old driver first before adding the new one

funnyperson1

ferria said:

ah be thankful you never had to mess around with the infinite loop error, i had to wrestle with this when i had my geforce2 pro....the only way to get rid of it was to completely nuke any driver installation and then try different sets of drivers until one worked

OP
Duster.

Duster.

funnyperson1 said:

ah be thankful you never had to mess around with the infinite loop error, i had to wrestle with this when i had my geforce2 pro....the only way to get rid of it was to completely nuke any driver installation and then try different sets of drivers until one worked

Hi
Sounds nasty...... I wount like that.....:eek: