• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help keeping my 1.4tbird cool...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vdubpsu

well, right now my case is cracked open with a room fan blowing on it to keep it at a warm 48C.

Do you guys have any suggestions on keeping my chip cool with the case on? I'm using the Thermalright SK6 heatsink with a 33cfm fan. If i throw on my high speed delta 60x60, with the case closed i run about 52C, which seems really hot for the conditions.

I'm a newbie and dont want to do any major case mods yet, but i would like to get my temperature down so i can overclock.

thanks

overdoze

most thunderbird 1.4G won't overclock much due to heat. If you truely want to do it. I suggest go with watercool

OP
V

vdubpsu

well, in any matter, how can i get my chip down to mid 40's with the case closed?

Whats a safe temperature to be running a tbird?

overdoze

Try scotch tape the side of the heatsink where the retainer goes in. The idea is getting all the air to the heatsink instead of blowing out to waste.

Check the contact between the cpu and HS as well. Did you apply arctic silver 3 paste?

I've seen thunderbird runs as high as 70C safely. Overclock however you need to keep it under 50C

Lt. Max

my friend has a 1.333 Tbird and he has a volcano 5(quite sucky for his heatsink, he put a 50cfm sunon on it and now he idles around 39C. he will get an ax-7 soon, and thats what u shoul do, then u could make a duct or just put an intake and an exhaust fan in front and back of case, and a fan on the ax7

Puer Aeternus

What u talkin' about? A 1.4 tbird can o/c easilly....w/ the right fan and case cooling of course.
My 1.4 is O/C'ed to 1.6....and my temps are 43c avg.

Also, dont forget a good intake fan and exhaust...there are many diff ways to cool your cpu and lots of articles here as well
http://overclockers.com/

....a duct would be my choice...but that is from personal experience and good results.
I made a cheap set up that keps my cpu pretty cool:
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79197

Why not post your specs so others can give you some ideas...for starters, what kinda MOBO you have? An asus board may give you an inacurate reading(much to my consternation) and also what r u using to measure temps w/? The Bios will most likely give you the most accurate reading.
Good luck:D

Soloithz

Registered
Try this..

Duct the HSF outside the case. Thats what I did and it dropped my cpu temps by 15 degrees F. It safely runs at 46 C under heavy load and 40 C at idle. I have same cpu [email protected] w/ volcano 7 HSF. I use a digidoc 5 for my temp monitoring. What are you using to measure your temps? That is very important like what was mentioned above. Email me if you want pics of my case mod for the duct.

P.S.> Dont try that scotch tape nonsense. It will just melt and get all gooey. Beside it will make it worse. The idea behind a fan blowing on a "slotted" or "finned" heatsink is to let the cool air blow through the fins, absorb the heat from the metal fins and the rest of the heatsink, and then exit the assembly through those slots. By covering over those slots you are inhibiting this process. You will then trap that heated air inside the sink fins and it will not circulate. This will start a horrible cycle of reheating air that is already hot. That obviously will result in your cpu temp going through the roof very quickly.

Solo

Last edited:
OP
V

vdubpsu

alright here's my system

Athlon 1.4 Tbird 266fsb
Asus A7A133 motherboard
256 pc-133
3dProphet Geforce 2mx 64meg

The readings from the mobo, mbm 5, and asus probe are all with in a few temps of each other.

right now its clocked at 1050mgz case open and room fan on at 43C. Im looking for this temp at 1400 case closed.

Right now i have a suron fan running 33cfm, with the case closed my temps reach 58-60

Using my incredibly loud delta fan, i get about 53C

OP
V

vdubpsu

*note, i almost lost two fingers cause of that damn delta fan.

do you recomend getting a 60-80 adapter then ducting?

Puer Aeternus

i Have the same mobo..I cannot be too sure of how far off the temps are w/ our mobo..but it is reported that they can be inacurate up tp 10c!!...I have yet to read any concrete evidence to support this and I am waiting for someone to post an accurate testing of a Asus a7v133 cpu temps. ...HINT HINT HINT.

PrairieDog

Registered
Well guys, here's my 2 cents worth. I also am running the 1.4ghz T-Bird on the Asus A7V133 mobo. PC Probe reports cpu temp at about 43c idle(bios reports the same). So, as far as the "Myth" about the pc probe temp reporting it seems to be just fine. I have yet to see a 10c difference in the temp that some report. But usually it sits about 40c idle(pending on room temp). I am also using the GlobalWin WBK38....a wee bit noisy...but barable. In a few days i will have a more accurate reading. As i am installing an Enermax temp monitoring probes. Even with it o/c'd @ 1.6ghz my temps remain the same (case is always closed). Rounded cables do help with the air circulation as well.

Puer Aeternus

FYI...it is the socket that is supposedly misreading the temps..so what ever temp monitor you use will always be off. Someone needs to get a compu nurse in there to compare the temp reading from the compu nurse and the bios. If it is off by ten degrees than post your results....it will help those of us who do not trust the sensors on the asus a7v133 mobo. Like I said in a previous post, If I get my hands on a Compunurse i will post my findings!

PrairieDog

Registered
Ok here is what i found for the temp readings. I attached a thermal probe from Enermax.(pic below) although it does not show. I did strip some of the heatshrink away so it would sit flush on the cpu core. The actual reading i got from the probe was 38-39c. So, the temp reading from the bios is not off by much....atleast not on my board.

Puer Aeternus

Cool, is that a Asus A7V133 you attached the thermal probe to? And if so could you post your bios temps vs. the thermal probe temp!
BTW...THANKS DUDE!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D

P.S..since you are in Canada, where did u get that Enermax Thermal probe and for how much?..I did not know they existed till you posted.

PrairieDog

Registered
Yes it is the Asus A7V133 (KT133a). The bios temp reading reports 40c, therefore it is only out about 2c. Perhaps some boards are more accurate than others. As to where i got the Enermax thermal probe? I ordered it from the Coolerguys.com from the US. Try getting that here in Sask..!!...better chance of winning the lotto!!...hahaha!! Also my mobe temps range from 26-28c.

Puer Aeternus

That is really cool PrarieDog...thanks for that Info!!! That helps me a lot in adjusting my temps and gives me a base to work from...provided that our boards read temps about the same. I really should just swap chips and fans and try my 1.4 in my ecs board just to compare temps...but the lug on the socket has a piece missing and I am afraid that by switching fans too often I will take that rest of that lug off and be S.O.L!!!:eek:

Soloithz

Registered
Dont worry about an adaptor for the duct. If you are using an 80mm fan then use a 3" diameter speaker box port from a car stereo shop or radio shack. If its a 60mm fan then use a 2 1/2 " port for the duct. Cut the duct about 1/2in shy of the fan grill so that when it is all in place it doesnt touch the grill. Then take self adhesive foam tape about 1" width and put some on the inside and outside of the duct end that is near the hsf. The kinda foam tape you get ad home depot for a/c units to seal up air leaks in the windows.