• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help maximizing rad usage in HTPC form factor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChipGeek

I'm building a new system, my 4th overall, but my first water-cooled. This thing needs to do it all, and it needs to do it in a HTPC case for reasons that most would probably find silly. I want to use top-end components, but I'm not too worried about overclocking; I'll overclock as much as I can within reasonable temps given my form factor constraints. If I'm maxed out on temp at stock speeds, so be it (stock is plenty fast these days). Silence in a smaller form factor is my primary goal.

Anyway, I am seriously considering using this case...:

Thermaltek VH3001BNS

...because it has a rear 120mm fan vent located near the middle, which could potentially allow me to mount something kinda crazy like this in the rear (minus the extra fans):

http://www.overclock.net/6567542-post7.html

This case also has an internal 120mm fan in the front, which makes me think that I could squeeze another 120x1 rad in that spot. This would give me a total of 120x4, and should allow me to run an i7 920 and a top-end video card like the 5850 (would running two 5850s in Crossfire be pushing this setup too far?)

What do folks here think? Is this crazy, or doable?

My backup plan is to limit myself to a 120x2, only one vid card, and little or no overclocking. If I did this, I'd probably switch to a Silverstone CW-02 case that I like better, but is pretty much limited to a 120x2 rear mount because the 120mm fan vent is off to the side instead of the middle. Here's a nice example of what I'd go for:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/home...y-new-water-cooled-silverstone-cw02-hptc.html

I would welcome any thoughts, inputs, or other suggestions that I may have not considered as I try to max out my potential rad usage in a self-contained HTPC form factor.

Thanks!

I am curious why you want to use an HTPC case :)

(IF it really were to be an HTPC setup you might want to go with a lower fin density rad so you can effectively use slower quieter fans)

The big problem is the amount of raddage you need. You 'should' at a minimum have a 120x2 for the CPU and a 120x1 for that GPU in one loop, if you can make it fit with a total of 120x4 raddage your good. Two 5850? Yep, pushing it.

Otherwise, it's a valid plan. Good luck on getting that rad at the front spot, mebbe it will fit.

Last edited:
Build your own case :)

4x120 rad laying on its side as the front of the case... should be about 18" i think (standard audio equipment size for rack mounting is 19"

Keep it slim have a DVD rom and 2 HDDs with room for a card reader or something across the top of the rad.

Mount motherboard and PSU standing on its side beside the mobo.

19" wide 7-8" high and as little as 17 or 18" deep :) and you get your 4 fan rad

Back