• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help Moving Files Desktop to Laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rpjkw11

My desktop died and I bought a gaming laptop. I want to move files from the old HDD (drive D) to the new lappy HDD. Old OS is Win XP; new is Win 7. Without the old rig working, I suppose the only thing to do is somehow connect the old HDD's to the new lappy. But I haven't the foggiest idea of how. If the old rig worked, a flash drive might do the trick.

I'm open to any and all suggestions. The old rig would not boot because of a error for which I could find no solution. Both old HDDs were 256gb and the new one is 1tb. The most complicating factor is the old rig will not work.

Thank you in advance for any help.

sata to usb adapter will work great just make sure it supports 1tb drives.

The external enclosure is a passing thought I'd had, but the "D" drive is IDE rather than SATA (yes, it IS old) so if that wouldn't matter, that might be the best way as it'll allow me to move files at my leisure. The "C" drive is a SATA (1 ?). I have 30-40 GB of files for Flight Simulator 9 & 10, some I bought and the records are stored on "D". Plus I have a lot of music, too.

The external enclosure is a passing thought I'd had, but the "D" drive is IDE rather than SATA (yes, it IS old) so if that wouldn't matter, that might be the best way as it'll allow me to move files at my leisure. The "C" drive is a SATA (1 ?). I have 30-40 GB of files for Flight Simulator 9 & 10, some I bought and the records are stored on "D". Plus I have a lot of music, too.

You can just get an IDE dock/enclosure instead of a SATA one.

A lot of great info to chew on. I'd planned to destroy both drives after extracting what I wanted, but I might keep them around. I haven't even transferred the files to my signature rig yet. The rig that died has/had an AMD "Clawhammer" cpu, quite old, but served me well.

Back