• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help on how to rig up a fan in a tight spot for video card...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kent_b29

Hi,
I'm going to be building my first rig this winter, but right now am stuck on my parents old PII 350 mhz. I was trying to find a way to maybe help this system go a little faster in games. I can't overclock the cpu or fsb becuase it's a Gateway and you can't change those things. So i got powerstrip to overclock the video card. Now I learn that the Video Card has just a passive heatsink on it, no fan(it's a old STB Velocity 4400(TNT) w/ 16mb of Ram)

So how would I go about rigging up a fan? The heatsink and stuff is on the bottom of the card. Any Ideas of how to hold a fan there? Tape it, or any other ways to rig it up i dunno... Also how big of a fan could I rig up? Any help would be greatly apprecitated.

thanks,
Kent

CrystalMethod

Senior Band Wagon Jumper
How is the heatsink mounted? if it's mounted using the regular two pins, your options are pretty wide as to what you can stick on it. Even if it isn't mounted using pins, sometimes the holes for them are still there. Check the back of the card to see.

OP
kent_b29

kent_b29

There are no holes with which the heatsink is attached. So any other ideas of how to attach a fan?

thanks,
Kent

seeker

Hey kent
you don't need a fan attached to the heatsink ... you can put any old fan you have blowing at the heatsink.
Don't know what kind of case cooling you have there. You can take off the cover(s) to improve case temps.(don't know how parents would feel about any case mods :)
Basicly though even a little breeze on the card (heatsink) should help.

good luck with it :)