• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help overclocking a 5930K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dusvis

I have the same set up as this guy (from another thread - hardware below) but with 8x8 gb , 64gb, of corsair dominator ram 2800 hz model. 5930k, a good cooler, rampage with bios updated to august 2015, just bought it, cannot get the overclock to work, i want 2800 on the ram, and can keep 3.5 on the intel, as im not gaming, if higher thats great too, shall i try this guy's settings? thanks for your guidance, first time with overclocking.

ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME 3.1
INTEL 5930K 3.5FHZ
CORSAIR 8X8GB 2800MHZ 64GB dominator plus
M.2 SAMSUNG 512 GB
SSD 2TB X 2 SAMSUNG

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveB

I have the same set up as this guy but with 8x8 gb , 64gb, of corsair dominator ram 2800 hz model. 5930k, a good cooler, rampage with bios updated to august 2015, just bought it, cannot get the overclock to work, i want 2800 on the ram, and can keep 3.5 on the intel, as im not gaming, if higher thats great too, shall i try this guy's settings? thanks for your guidance, first time with overclocking.

You don't need to go through all that to OC Haswell-E. See the quote below.

Thanks for sharing!

You have changed quite a bit of things that likely would not be needed. For example,

*Integrated VR efficiency management - Performance mode only really helps with extreme cooling and clocks, not ambient clocking. this just keeps all power on all the time to the VRM.
*BCLK amplitude - your bclk is 101... not needed there at all.
*DRAM switching - not needed at your clocks.
*DRAM power phase control - again, not needed at those clocks.
*VCCIO/VTTDDR/VPPDDR - auto/default is fine.
* There are more...

In a nutshell, for that clockspeed, the only thing you would really need to touch is vcore. Memory is a different story in its voltage and timings, but otherwise, that is it. So I'm glad it works, this will be helpful, but there are a lot of things touched that more likely than not can just be left at auto.

Nice overclock, and thanks again! :)

OP
D

dusvis

You don't need to go through all that to OC Haswell-E. See the quote below.
thanks im really lost, i dont know what is needed to change, in order to get 2800 for my corsair 64gb memorys, and lets say 4.2 or 4.5 if you say is safe (for working with databases only) for my 5930k, i really dont know where to start, : ), i put everything on automatic, including the part where you can choose xmp.... any guidance if it does not take too much time please? i appreciate it!

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Ive split your posts off of this old thread. It is best to create your own. People may come across the and read the first few posts and respond not knowing someone else unrelated jumped in at the bottom with a different issue. ;)

That done, please update your first post with your hardware list as now 'this guy' doesn't exist, LOL! Please create a signature with your hardware list when you can (couple of posts).

Once we see what you have we can help a bit better.

Though its not for your processor, please read the Haswell overclocking guide so you have at least a bit of an idea of some terminology, etc. :)

OP
D

dusvis

thanks earthdog!!! ok
ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME 3.1
INTEL 5930K 3.5FHZ
CORSAIR 8X8GB 2800MHZ 64GB dominator plus
M.2 SAMSUNG 512 GB
SSD 2TB X 2 SAMSUNG
thanks for your help.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Added this info to the first post.

So, can you enable XMP and run at 2800Mhz with that much ram?

OP
D

dusvis

I tried a lot of things, not knowing what i was doing but by common sense only, x127.3....125.....2800 on ram, auto on most things, turbo mode on, virtualziation mode on, voltages everything auto, full manual off, etc,
but everytime it fails, so now im at the beginning, auto on cores, also tried sync all cores (dont know which one is better on that option neither) it says now 3700 mhz on tarket cpu turbo mode freq, and 2133 on target dram freq . thanks from argentina friends for the help, im new on this,

OP
D

dusvis

when i try xmp it does not boot, apparently i should setup correctly each of the below settings, which i dont know, when i put 125 and 127.3 to get 2800 and a higher cpu, and then everything on auto for easing the setup, it does not boot ...

- - - Updated - - -

i have a very nice setup it would a shame not to use it or "abuse it" a little at least... : )

wingman99

First work on memory don't overclock the CPU yet. Set all your Bios settings to optimal default first, then set XMP for memory.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Is your motherboard bios updated to the latest version?

One thing going with setting it manually, if you set 125, you wouldn't be using the 2800 multiplier because it would run the memory too fast. You would have to use a lower multi. Your pc should show you what the value is.

prime81

Your problem with the memory not working at its specified speed is because you need the memory controller to have more voltage. I ran into the same problem with my system when i upgraded from 16gb to 32gb. The other symptom of not enough offset voltage for memory controller is it will only show half or part of the amount of memory as available in bios and in windows.

The two key voltage settings you will find on the rampage are System Agent and CPU input. CPU input I would say start with 1.9 to 1.92, system agent try .850 to .876

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
When I tried my memory bus speed to exactly 125 MHz, the PC would not boot/post. When I set to slightly higher or lower, the problem went away.

prime81

Currently folding temps and vcore for 4ghz. The higher bus speed is another reason for CPU input and system agent voltage changes.

5930k4ghz.png