• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help overclocking my AMD FX-8320? -New Here-

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The ones I linked to are the best for B die concerning cost to purchase right now.

One thing they can do over budget sticks is give nice, tight timings and make things zippy compared to budget sticks.
Budget sticks as long as it's from a known brandname aren't "Bad" just cheaper to get.

The sets I'm running will do 3333 but not much more...... But again Ryzen doesn't really need it's RAM super-fast for the system to be responsive.
Currently running a 2700x in an ASRock X470 Ultimate Tachi and with the Flares it's doing great.

I will make you aware Ryzen chips run hotter than even FX normally does but unlike FX they are way more tolerant of the heat. As long as load temps don't go over 80c it's all good but if they do then better than stock cooling will be needed - Not to mention AMD tends to overspec voltage needed to run at stock speeds anyway, have mine at 1.21v's and it's doing just fine.
I do however suggest running something better than the Wraith cooler to use with it if possible since the Wraith is kinda "Meh" at best.
Will work but if you can do better I'd say go for it - I did.

Alright dope, yeah I'll most likely go with some 3200mhz ram and I'm probably just gonna transfer my h100i to the new build until I save enough for the V2 and then sell my current build to a friend.

One question; I just increased the multiplier on my cpu so I'd be at 4.2Ghz and nothing happened.. when i look at the system properties it still says 4.0 - so i tried increasing the voltage to 1.42 i believe, but still nothing. Does that mean 4.0 is the max this thing will go or am I doing something wrong?

Sounds like it could be a bios glitch at that multiplier or above a certain multiplier. But try 43x or 44x. We see these kind of quirks on the forum now and then.

Alright dope, yeah I'll most likely go with some 3200mhz ram and I'm probably just gonna transfer my h100i to the new build until I save enough for the V2 and then sell my current build to a friend.

Make sure your h100i has the mounting hardware for mounting up to an AM4 socket pattern, it's different than the previous AM2-AM3+ pattern so know going in that's a possible issue you may have to resolve.

All you'd really have to do is ask the manufacturer of the h100i (I assume it's Corsair) if they have it and go from there - Chances are they do, probrably in stock and ready to ship.

Good thought, Dr. McCoy. It's a bumber when you finally get all the pieces assembled and then find your cooler hardware is incompatible with the socket.

Make sure your h100i has the mounting hardware for mounting up to an AM4 socket pattern, it's different than the previous AM2-AM3+ pattern so know going in that's a possible issue you may have to resolve.

All you'd really have to do is ask the manufacturer of the h100i (I assume it's Corsair) if they have it and go from there - Chances are they do, probrably in stock and ready to ship.

Awesome, thanks for the heads up. PCPartPicker says there's a compatibility issue with that and I wasn't sure what I would need to do in order to fix it, so I appreciate you chiming in on that.

Sounds like it could be a bios glitch at that multiplier or above a certain multiplier. But try 43x or 44x. We see these kind of quirks on the forum now and then.

Super weird, I bumped it up to 45x or whatever the multi is for 4.5Ghz and it wasn't showing up in my Properties window all day today... But I just got home and rebooted because I wasn't able to see any text in certain windows (???) and upon reboot I checked my System Properties again and it's up to 4.49Ghz now. Voltage is set to 1.35 I believe. Going to run a stress test right now. Will post results after 30 mins.

Last edited:
Update: Insta blue screen when I started Prime95 lolol.

Increased voltage to 1.4 and ran test again.

It was going fine for about 2-3 minutes until I got another blue screen. Should I increase voltage to 1.45? Don't wanna start doing too much without asking people here lol.

One question; I just increased the multiplier on my cpu so I'd be at 4.2Ghz and nothing happened.. when i look at the system properties it still says 4.0 - so i tried increasing the voltage to 1.42 i believe, but still nothing. Does that mean 4.0 is the max this thing will go or am I doing something wrong?

I think so.. CPU-Z says the multiplier is at 21.5x and when I go back into the BIOS it's still set at that.

That means your overclock failed. The board just re-sets back to the last setting before it tried to boot. That doesn't mean you actually made it to that speed.

Go back to your 4.0 settings that you knew were good. Your temp was on the edge then, so don't add any more voltage. Try to boot with 20.5x. NO MORE VOLTAGE!

That means your overclock failed. The board just re-sets back to the last setting before it tried to boot. That doesn't mean you actually made it to that speed.

Go back to your 4.0 settings that you knew were good. Your temp was on the edge then, so don't add any more voltage. Try to boot with 20.5x. NO MORE VOLTAGE!

CRAP lol. Okay yeah I noticed the temps skyrocketing when I did that test at a higher voltage and immediately went and lowered back to 1.35.

Now that the cpu is sitting at 4.49Ghz though, do you think I should increase to 1.4250 volts?

CRAP lol. Okay yeah I noticed the temps skyrocketing when I did that test at a higher voltage and immediately went and lowered back to 1.35.

Now that the cpu is sitting at 4.49Ghz though, do you think I should increase to 1.4250 volts?

Try it see. 1.425 is a safe voltage as long as temps are under control. But it's not just the CPU temp that is a concern but the VRM temp (motherboard power producing components). I wouldn't go any higher than 1.45 volts so if that doesn't make it stable at 4.5 ghz then back off on the multiplier.

Try it see. 1.425 is a safe voltage as long as temps are under control. But it's not just the CPU temp that is a concern but the VRM temp (motherboard power producing components). I wouldn't go any higher than 1.45 volts so if that doesn't make it stable at 4.5 ghz then back off on the multiplier.

Alright so ran Prime95 for an hour last night with those settings and no blue screen :D Can't remember off the top of my head what the temps of everything were but I know they didn't raise any flags so I think it's stable at 4.5ghz and 1.425 volts. Will post screenshots of test results later today!

Thanks again for all the help everybody. Couldn't have done it without you <3 lol

Daniel, food for thought. Overclocking is a process and it can be very frustrating if one jumps around too fast. Try not to jump too far too fast. I'm with Doc, go back to 4.0 where you know you were stable and go for the 20.5 multi and find stability. You start jumping to 4.5 ghz and throwing volts at it trying to find stability, it will be frustrating at best.

Daniel, food for thought. Overclocking is a process and it can be very frustrating if one jumps around too fast. Try not to jump too far too fast. I'm with Doc, go back to 4.0 where you know you were stable and go for the 20.5 multi and find stability. You start jumping to 4.5 ghz and throwing volts at it trying to find stability, it will be frustrating at best.

What exactly is considered "stable"? And how long is a good amount of time to wait before going further?
Asking because it's at 4.5 ghz and 1.425 volts right now and I stress tested for an hour, then played some games for another hour last night with no issues.

Here are the results from the test at 4.0ghz. Could somebody tell me what exactly to be looking for so I don't have to come here and post these every time I run a stress test?

4.0ghz HWMonitor.png 4.0ghz CPUZ CPU.png 4.0ghz CPUZ Mem.png 4.0ghz CPUZ Spd1.png

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

And here are the results at 4.5ghz and 1.425 volts.

4.49ghz HWMonitor.png 4.49ghz CPUZ CPU.png 4.49ghz CPUZ Mem.png 4.49ghz CPUZ Spd1.png

What exactly is considered "stable"? And how long is a good amount of time to wait before going further?

2 hours of Prime95/OCCT/Aida64 or 10 runs of IntelBurnTest 2.54 is usually enough for everything except the most intensive stuff (h265 encoding, number crunching, mining and whatnot) you might want to throw at it. If it passes, go further. If your rig goes up in flames you went too far ;)

Daniel,

Just looking at the temps you are pretty much maxed out and I don't think there is enough temperature headroom to get to 4.6 since that would likely require more vcore which would produce more heat.

If you can pass Prime95 for two hours you can be confident that you are stable for your purposes. If you can't pass the two hour test then add .01 more to the vcore and you should be good to go.

2400 CAS 16 b-die? I don't think so.

Dr. McCoy's post does indeed link to b-die
Recently bought DDR4 for my present build and if you want the sutff that makes a Ryzen zippy you'll pay more than $100 for it.
However a nice set for Ryzen is this stuff: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232530
B die like you'd want and good timings, however there are even cheaper kits too.

...snip...

trents posted a link to a very affordable 2400MHz CL16 kit. I'm not aware that anyone indicated that it was b-die.

Back