• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help Overclocking PC800 RDRAM...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

im0y

Registered
I had my P4T-E system for a while now. It has a P4 1.6A running at 136 FSB and a two double sided Samsung PC800 RDRAM running at 3x (400MHz). My problem is this... for the longest time, I can't overclock my memory and set it to 4x (PC1066). I have to keep it at 3x (PC800), or else I get those looooong beeeps.

Now that I have extra money and thinking that I got hosed with my old memory, I bought another pair of Samsung PC800 from Googlegear. I tried running it at 4x, but it still didn't work. So I returned it and bought a second pair of Samsung PC1066 from Newegg. However, this didn't work at 4x also.

I would really appreaciate if someone could tell me what am I doing wrong or what can I do so I could run my memory at 4x.

hmm sounds like you got some bum sticks of ram, have you tried increasing the vcore or your cpu? that might help. We have almost identical rigs and i run my mem at 4x fine, any higher fsb and i start to get BSODS...i wanna up the voltage on my cpu but im not ready yet to do that

Thanks your replying CyberFed...

I'm going to try increasing my FSB to 138 with memory 4x. I haven't tried that yet, but I'm not very positive about it since 136 FSB didn't work with 4x either. I've tried 138 with 3x, but it wasn't stable when I ran Prime 95, so 136 was the highest I could go.

If all else fail, I'll just do the pin trick and increase my FSB, even though my memroy is still at 3x. I just wanted to overclock my memory to PC1066 speeds and save some money because RDRAMs are just too expensive right now.

Also can you please tell me what's the part number of the memory your using so that I would know if the one I get can really work.:)

I checked the clock generators that my mobo has and now I know that I have the bad ones. So my memory can't be overclocked pass 433 if I use 133 FSB.

I guess my new question now is if I wanted to buy, lets say a Asus P4t533, can I still use it and overclock my 1.6A P4 with the memory at 4x as if its in a P4t-e mobo with good clock generators? I still wanted to save money... so if I'm going to buy a new mobo, I want one that has the new features because I'll keep it for a while. I'll just use my old cpu and memory and overclock them. What do you guys think...

im0y,
You can't use PC800 on the P4T533. It uses 32-bit PC1066 AKA PC3200 and PC4200. You can still use the 1.6A on it though. If you get P4t533, you will need new memory.

3x136=pc816 4x136=1088 the direct rambus chip generators are crappin out on you. get a pair of 533 drcgs and find a local pcb rework company to change them out.

i'll look up the #'s on my ram when i get home from work (gettin paid to check the forums :D ) yeah i wanna get a new mobo also i wanna get the abit th7 i saw it on ebay for 50 bucks with the retail box so i could always RMA it, it uses RAMBUS i wanna get this chip at least a 1GHz o/c...

Back