• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help picking a CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wicked Klown

Hard *** Southern Boy Senior
Well today I got my KT400 Dragon Ultra. I hooked everything up and put in the case. Went to start it up and got the beep cause of no fan. I started up again and hit insert to by-pass the FOC. After messin with it for awhile I took off the MCW462-UHT and found out my T-Bird was dead. So now I need to get a new CPU. I was thinking about getting the 1800+ and oc it to about 1900MHz. IS this a good CPU will it be able to hit 1900?

Tipycol

I also think you should just buy an Ahtlon XP 1600 and just overclock that to 1900MHz. It would be cheaper, make the entire system faster(due to higher fsb with a lower multiplier), and many people here have had a lot of luck reaching 1900MHz and above.

nightowl

The xp1600 is indeed a magnificent chip. I have also seen them clock up to 1900MHz but just as many no doubt more wont. Mine maxes out at around 1750 which is still xp2100+ speeds. For the price you cant go wrong :D

Pinky

I'm on the AGOIA bandwagon (have one myself). See specs in my sig... with your watercooling and a little more voltage, 1900mhz is well within reach.

maxima88

If you can Agoia or Agoia steppings for the XP1600+, that's the way to go. You'll have a much better chance of hitting 1.9GHz w/ the XP1600+ than with the XP1800+. I've got mine upt to 1963mhz and climbing.

OP
Wicked Klown

Wicked Klown

Think I might go for the one at Gameve. Thats where I got my motherboard and ram. One more ? before I buy. If I was to get a 1800+ is $83 a good price for a retail on.

Deadphishy

i would only get a 1600 if your going with a paly. it will go above xp2100, and should overclock almost as high as a xp2100 would. if your going to overclock get a 1600. don't even look at a chip rated higher, there only good if you want the warranty,

OP
Wicked Klown

Wicked Klown

Only thing I'll be doing to either chip I get. Is running it at a FSB of 166. That way I keep everything in specs. Warranty would be nice.

Tipycol

Klownin79 said:
Only thing I'll be doing to either chip I get. Is running it at a FSB of 166. That way I keep everything in specs. Warranty would be nice.

Yea but wouldn't the warranty be voided once you OC? And besides, if you want the multiplier of the other Athlon XP's, just unlock the 1600, though I doubt you'd run 166*12.5 stable without a high vcore.

Tipycol

OP
Wicked Klown

Wicked Klown

Tipycol said:

Yea but wouldn't the warranty be voided once you OC? And besides, if you want the multiplier of the other Athlon XP's, just unlock the 1600, though I doubt you'd run 166*12.5 stable without a high vcore.

Tipycol

Well with the 1800+ it's 133x12. Running it at 166x12 would only be a 392MHz oc.

Tipycol

Klownin79 said:

Well with the 1800+ it's 133x12. Running it at 166x12 would only be a 392MHz oc.

Yea well I figured once it was unlocked you might try to run it at highest multiplier allowed, and felt you should know it might not work, at least at first :)

OC-Master

XP2400+, I wouldnt recommend getting any other processor as of now. Those 2400+ processors START at 2GHz and then you overclock from there :) You cant beat that for a O/Cing deal.

If you are really strapped for cash which by buying a KT400, I'm thinking your not!

OC-Master

OP
Wicked Klown

Wicked Klown

OC-Master said:
XP2400+, I wouldnt recommend getting any other processor as of now. Those 2400+ processors START at 2GHz and then you overclock from there :) You cant beat that for a O/Cing deal.

If you are really strapped for cash which by buying a KT400, I'm thinking your not!

OC-Master

After buy the KT400 and ther Geil PC3200 Cas2 ram. I'm kinda strapped for cash. I wasn't looking for my T-bird to die.