• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help picking a psu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rampitup46

Registered
here is the setup please tell me if that psu will work if not please tell correct me or point me to a new one that will (preferably cheaper)

atomic ferret

No, that power supply won't be enough. The GTX 295 recommends a PSU with 680W at least, but more importantly, I read somewhere that the gpu can draw nearly 25A at times (not sure if this is entirely true). Since each 12V rail is only 18A, I would be worried.

Try looking for a PSU with a single large 12V rail to avoid this problem.

RollingThunder

Destroyer of Trolls & Spammers
ok i updated it with a different psu. how does that look?

rampit,

In the "Sticky" above the threads:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589708

Do yourself a favor and pick one of the 600 - 700w in the modular list. Unless the Thermaltake is one of the "Toughpower" series, they aren't that good.

Edit:

Here you go:

Corsair 650HX, one big 52amp 12v rail, free shipping, MIR, First Class unit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139012

Last edited:

Acuradude

hey guys i new to the computer building scene i bought a crappy athena psu and now im over heating alot and im trying to find a good one that dont cost out the rear. but my qeastion for you all is, is the only difference between modular and non modular the fact that you can choose what wires you need and dont need????

J-O_S-H

hey guys i new to the computer building scene i bought a crappy athena psu and now im over heating alot and im trying to find a good one that dont cost out the rear. but my qeastion for you all is, is the only difference between modular and non modular the fact that you can choose what wires you need and dont need????

That's pretty much it AFAIK. Modular PSU's are great for cable management. You can roun the cable before pugging it in to any components. You also do not need to try and hide cables you aren't using.

Most modular PSU's have the ATX + 4/8pin cable hardwired because your guaranteed to use them. The orsair Modular PSU's have flat ribbon cable style cables for lower profile and better cable routing.

Makes things especially easieer if you have a small case with poor cable management. There are less cable to block airflow too.

RollingThunder

Destroyer of Trolls & Spammers

Acura,

Essentially, yes. If you're running SLI and a lot of peripherals, modular doesn't have much advantage because you'll use all your cables anyhow. Performance is the same and power does not degenerate with molular as long as you're not disconnecting them a 1000 times. However, on average the cost a little more. Shop around for them.

List below from our "Sticky" in this section of recommended and tested power supplies.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589708