• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BruceUSA

Intel i7 12700k CPU
MSI Z690 MPG Edge DDR5 Wifi Mob.
TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 32GB DDR5 -6200
Samsung 980 Pro Nvme .M2 1tb Pcie 4
EVA Supernova G2 1300kw PSU
Black Ice GTX 480mm radiator topmount push/pul
MCP35X dual pump w/ dual pump housing.
Corsair water block. RGB Fan thru out 90%
Phanteks Enthoo full tower
Very old R9 290x use for testing only

Power on the first time I got no display signal to the monitor. I tried to swap to another gpu still gotten the same. I then to connect a hdmi cable to the motherboard hdmi port, no luck. I remove 1 stick of the ram. Didn't work. I then remove the C Mos battery. Didn't work. What my next option? Should I try to update the bios and try again?

PS. When I power on the system I see the red LED light come on solid then occasionally switching to the next LED light up on yellow in a second then switching back and forth to red led to 2nd led which light up in yellow.

Here is a short video clip. Please check it out see what do you think causing this.

Last edited:
Sooooo what two leds is it bouncing hack and forth on? That's the Q-LED and each led has a label on it that corresp9nds with a function... normally if there is a problem it just sits on one, though.

Abosultely... use the bios flashback functionality to update the bios and see if that helps.

are you using a pcie3 riser cable? I have seen that keep the monitor from initializing. I say remove the GPU and attempt to use the onboard

alderlake cpu's also can take a whle to train memory when first booting up. I have a kit of the T-Force Delta RGB similar to what you have and it does work at xmp settings

Sooooo what two leds is it bouncing hack and forth on? That's the Q-LED and each led has a label on it that corresp9nds with a function... normally if there is a problem it just sits on one, though.

Abosultely... use the bios flashback functionality to update the bios and see if that helps.
The write next to it is way to small to read . Yes the led bouncing back forth from the first led and then to the 2nd led.
Post magically merged:

are you using a pcie3 riser cable? I have seen that keep the monitor from initializing. I say remove the GPU and attempt to use the onboard
No riser. I did swaped out with a different gpu and I also have try the onboard hdmi port. No luck there.
Post magically merged:

The red LED is the CPU. The yellow is RAM. The manual doesn't seem to cover what the LEDs mean for trouble shooting.

View attachment 358757
So, you are saying the yellow led is ram not detected. I have try to run 1 stick and no luck there.
Post magically merged:

Is there a fan plugged into the CPU fan header?
Yes of course.

I don't know if yellow on the RAM led is RAM not detected. Pull all the RAM & power it up, see what the 2nd led does.
I'm thinking the board is seeing something wrong with the CPU because Red is generally a greater cause for concern than Yellow. But the manual I found on their site doesn't explain the colors.

I figured you probably had a fan connected, but it wouldn't be the first time I saw someone with water forget or plug in the pump instead.

How'd the bios flash go?
I have not start the bios flash as I was waiting for you guys might come up a fix. I will sure will have to try the bios flash. Probably will do the bios in a few hrs.
Post magically merged:

I don't know if yellow on the RAM led is RAM not detected. Pull all the RAM & power it up, see what the 2nd led does.
I'm thinking the board is seeing something wrong with the CPU because Red is generally a greater cause for concern than Yellow. But the manual I found on their site doesn't explain the colors.

I figured you probably had a fan connected, but it wouldn't be the first time I saw someone with water forget or plug in the pump instead.
Well, this is a end board I went thru. The first motherboard were the low end MSI Pro serial. It did not and it really keep trying as the fan keep throttling up and down but failed to post. So returned that board and I went with a higher end one MSI Z690 MPG Edge model.
Post magically merged:

It is possible to have a bad CPU? Brand spanking new.

Last edited:
Did you try to boot without RAM? Any different result?
If not, try to reseat the CPU & try again (this is one reason why I'm not a hard tubing fan :( ).
Do you have a speaker installed so you can hear beep codes?

Anything is possible, but a dead cpu isn't common.

The lights are dummy lights... just tells you where the problem is. The fact that it's flipping back and forth isn't terribly helpful though as it typically stops where the problem is.

Flas that bios... report back...

Be sure to reseat everything again.

Ok. I think I might have found the problem. I suspect the ram is defective. Hear me out. I download the bios and re-name to MSI.ROM and it on the USB stick. Insert it into the specific ubs port and press the bios button. I saw the red led come on then keep blinking then the red blinking led stop and disappeared. I assuming it is complete the flashing job. I start the system and I got the same result. Then I pull out 1 stick of the ram and start the system again. Then the monitor got a message saying 12th CPU some text like GOP Something and monitor gone black. It's happened very quick I can't read it all that fast. So I am thinking maybe of stick of the ram is bad. So I swap out the other stick ram and I got nothing. I then proceed to remove the ram on the board and start the system up. Then I got a solid yellow led meaning no ram on the board. So when install the ram the system having the yellow led blinking. Because of this can we confirm the ram is defective?

I assuming it is complete the flashing job.
...don't assume. Check to see if the new bios took...

Edit: ...oh wait. can you get to it??

While it's in the POST process, does your keyboard get power (num loc or something lights up) have you tried spamming del key to get into bios as soon as you see keyboard has power?? If you saw some of the post notes (what you mentioned about seeing 12th gen on one boot) that's a good sign.

So when install the ram the system having the yellow led blinking. Because of this can we confirm the ram is defective?
Well, as was said already, in my experience, the EZ-Debug LED should remain lit when there is a problem. I dont recall ever seeing those stop and flash repeatedly.

What slot are you putting a single stick in? Check your manual to confirm the right one. It should be A2, or second closest to the socket.

Maybe make a bootable disk and run memtest to confirm they are bad. I'm not convinced anything is bad.. yet.

What other hardware is in this machine?

Last edited:
...don't assume. Check to see if the new bios took...

Edit: ...oh wait. can you get to it??

While it's in the POST process, does your keyboard get power (num loc or something lights up) have you tried spamming del key to get into bios as soon as you see keyboard has power?? If you saw some of the post notes (what you mentioned about seeing 12th gen on one boot) that's a good sign.

Well, as was said already, in my experience, the EZ-Debug LED should remain lit when there is a problem. I dont recall ever seeing those stop and flash repeatedly.

What slot are you putting a single stick in? Check your manual to confirm the right one. It should be A2, or second closest to the socket.

Maybe make a bootable disk and run memtest to confirm they are bad. I'm not convinced anything is bad.. yet.

What other hardware is in this machine?
I try 1 stick on DIMMA2 didn't work then I try 1 stick DIMMB2 didn't work. The system have gpu and 1 samsung 980 pro nvme m2.

I normally don't read the manual. Well now I just doing some reading. Per the manual first led is light indicate cpu not detect or fail. Led 2 indicate DRAM not detect or fail. 3rd led indicate gpu.

Ok. Here is another question. This board have two CPU PWR1 & PWR2. I only connect PWR1 that because this is the only cable from to power supply to CPU PRW1. Perhaps this board required to connect both CPU PWR1 & CPU PWR2?

Attachments

• 20220814_211800.jpg
    20220814_211800.jpg
    755.6 KB · Views: 4
Well now I just doing some reading. Per the manual first led is
You know JLK posted that from your manual this morning, right?

Ok. Here is another question. This board have two CPU PWR1 & PWR2. I only connect PWR1 that because this is the only cable from to power supply to CPU PRW1. Perhaps this board required to connect both CPU PWR1 & CPU PWR2?
Pretty sure only one is required. The manual doesn't specify? What power supply are you using? The 1300W model in your signature has two... try using them both...

And for giggles, what gpu? Maybe consider listing all of this in the first post... :)

And again... you can't access the bios, right?

Last edited:
You know JLK posted that from your manual this morning, right?
Yes indeed. I repeat it silly:)

Pretty sure only one is required. The manual doesn't specify? What power supply are you using? The 1300W model in your signature has two... try using them both... The reason I had one is the previous system used only. I sure have the 2nd cable in the box but I have to search for it.

And for giggles, what gpu? Maybe consider listing all of this in the first post... :)

And again... you can't access the bios, right?
Post magically merged:

The gpu is very old one r9 290x. It only mean to use as to get the system up running. I have intend to get 6800 xt for it.
Post magically merged:

Any way. Just want to say thank you to every one trying to help me out. I appreciate for your time. :)

Last edited:
Could there be a issue with the old video being non-uefi?
I know you tried onboard, but did you try it with the 290x completely removed?

Back