• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help Quick

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

{PMS}fishy

My friend has Windows XP on her computer, and it only has 128mb of RAM. I think that I am going to make her get more, but thats not the solution right now. Windows in and of its self is using over 100mb of RAM right now, and this is a brand new computer. She just got it this week. Basically I want to get rid of any crap and services that run in the background, and help free up some memory. Anything helps. Thanks.

OP
{PMS}fishy

{PMS}fishy

Ok I got it down to 95MB of ram with SETI, IE, and AIM running. All of which acount for right around 40MB. I think that should get her going. Just as long as she doesn't get any spyware or any of that darn music downloading software onto here. Ill give her a stern warning, but I doubt it will help.

Thanks, and I glad you like the avatar. You were one of the few that knew who she was.

OP
{PMS}fishy

{PMS}fishy

Fogot to mention that it was a cool program to use, and it let me make the task bar transparent. Oh so cool, now she can be different. Now the hard part, getting her to care.

zachj

Chainsaw Senior
If it's XP Pro, just set it up so she CAN'T install spyware laden P2P programs and such. And most warnings of that nature do go unnoitced because people really don't believe you. My sisters think I'm full of sh** when I tell them that AOL is crap or that Kazaa has spyware and those popup adds are from Kazaa. Then when their computer breaks, I have to fix it, but it wasn't their fault and it wasn't Kazaa. Then they ask me to put Kazaa back on for them. Horrible cycle.

Z

ThePerfectCore

Red Raccoon Dojo
I have to fix it, but it wasn't their fault and it wasn't Kazaa. Then they ask me to put Kazaa back on for them. Horrible cycle.

Easy solution.

Block any websites with AOL IM or Kazaa available for download in the hosts file.

That'll teach the little brats.

And fishy, if I were you, I'd tell her to take that ****ing pile of worthless **** back wherever she bought it, and either demand another 128MB of RAM and that they install it for FREE, or get a full refund, because that is ****ing bull**** that people are selling machines with Windows XP and only 128 ****ing MB of ****ing RAM.

...then build her one. :D

OP
{PMS}fishy

{PMS}fishy

I was going to build it for her, but her dad bought a HP instead. Hell let him spend the money. She is going to call him and get some more memory. I told her to tell daddy that she needs some Corsair XMS 3200 and that I would trade her for what she really needs. We will see what happens.

Fingers Crossed.

ThePerfectCore

Red Raccoon Dojo
Well, I'm glad to hear you're upgrading the thing. :)

But seriously - someone really needs to break a boot off in the *** of these computer manufacturers. I'm sick of people saying "OMG MY DELL IZ TEH R0X0RZ" because it's some wacko silver and grey color, has advertising stickers all over it, and runs "TEH 1336 WINDERZ XPEE LOL" with a whole 128MB of PCGod-only-knows-how-slow RAM.

Ugh. I'm getting ****ed again. I'd better shutup.

OP
{PMS}fishy

{PMS}fishy

So much anger, you had better call Dell and HP and tell them what you really think.

DanFraser

For services, go here, the ultimate place (IMHO) for killing those ruddy services that dont do anything apart from take up ram!!

www.blackviper.com

The tips are so good, my third comp using XP Pro has no swap file, and only uses 60MB of ram with seti included in that as well!