• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help really BADLY!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZightZar

ok, just built a system... im using a asrock P4VT8 mobo (supports 400/533/400 fsb and 2100/2700/3200 ram) and has a via PT800 chipset. i have one 512mb kreten pc3200 (2.5t) ram stick and a albatron 5900nu (epv). using the stock heatsink that came with the proccessor (p4 1.8 400fsb), and 3 80mm case fans.

now the weird thing... the mother ****ing proccessor temps are 87c IN THE FREAKING BIOS, and 90c IN WINDOWS!!! it burnt my finger when i touched the hs, so i know that reading is pretty acurate.

i have the proccessor underclocked at 18*99 (1.782ghz), and the ram is at (havent overclocked anything at all) 2.5,2,3,6. the agp apiture size is 128, and i dont have fast writing enabled. i havent adjusted any voltages or anything...

i know the proccessor is fine, it ran @ 2.16 (18*120) stable at 45 idle - 58 full load with the same damn heatsink im using right now! i have no clue whats the problem... plz help...

Detract

The TIM used on the stock P4 heatsink is good for one seating only. After that you need to use some kind of thermal paste upon reseating the HSF. It's likely that most of the TIM (Black pad) has worn from the HSF and isnt sitting right on the CPU, yeilding the high temps.

Jognt

All round good guy
he says that the HS is damned hot too, so it must be conducting reasonably, id replace the TIM anyway to be sure, but my guess is his CPU fan isnt working properly..

OP
Z

ZightZar

ok, i just bought a Tt spark 7 xaser edition, and some compusa silver thermal paste. it definatly lowered my temp some, but i still think its a little too high... it stays at 70c-73c full load and idles around 68c. btw, i have 1 intake fan, 1 exhast fan, one fan blowing one hdd, one fan blowing on proccessor, the fan on the heatsink, the one fan on the bottom of my psu, and the one fan on the back of my psu... at lease i THINK i have pretty good ventilation, but i think that my temps are still a little high.

OP
Z

ZightZar

whats a good temp monitering program? in my bios it says around 52c, but when i check the temp in aida32, it says 70c. i know my mobo has a temp probe, and my hs/f came with a probe which i attatched under the hs next to the proccessor.

Startech

There is a possibility that the mobo is defective and is driving a higher voltage than normal to the poor baby.

OP
Z

ZightZar

How would i know if its defective? anyways, can you look at these pics and tell me if there is something wrong?

cpuz:
CPUZ.jpg

aida32:
AIDA32%20Volt.jpg

and also, i noticed that playing games really sucks now. its runs like absolute crap. thought going from a gf4 mx420 pci card to a fx5900nu would give me a freaking huge boost in preformance... i hardely notice a difference. i think there is something wrong with this though:
AIDA32%20AGP.jpg

also, in the bios, should i leave the agp apeture size at 128, or move to 256, and should i enable agp fast writing or no?

larva

Inactive Moderator
There's only three things that can cause that kind of heat, excessive voltage, no heatsink (or no contact with one), or no fan. Looking at your screenshots you have proper cpu voltage, and it looks like the fan is spinning. I'd stick my finger in the fan to make sure its spinning with normal force and assuming it is (which is a safe assumption) start discovering exactly how and why the heatsink isn't making proper contact with the cpu.

OP
Z

ZightZar

ok, i nearly cut my finger touching those fans and came to the conclusion that they are definatly spinning with normal force... how exactly would i go about cheching whether or not the hs is making good contact with the proc?

i really dont know how accurate my temp probes are... with the comp still on and running, i touched my spark7, and low and behold, it didnt burn my finger... it felt like it wasnt even luke warm. how accurate do you think my mobo temp probe and the probe that came with my heatsink is?

and im still worried about that agp disabled warning in my last picture...

Detract

ZightZar said:
ok, i nearly cut my finger touching those fans and came to the conclusion that they are definatly spinning with normal force... how exactly would i go about cheching whether or not the hs is making good contact with the proc?

i really dont know how accurate my temp probes are... with the comp still on and running, i touched my spark7, and low and behold, it didnt burn my finger... it felt like it wasnt even luke warm. how accurate do you think my mobo temp probe and the probe that came with my heatsink is?

and im still worried about that agp disabled warning in my last picture...

If the HS physically feels "luke warm" and the system is reporting a higher temp. then its safe to say that the motherboard is misreporting the temps.

Startech

Detract said:

If the HS physically feels "luke warm" and the system is reporting a higher temp. then its safe to say that the motherboard is misreporting the temps.

Woudn't it be more likely that the physical contact between chip and HSF is very bad? That would make the CPU hot and the heatsink lukewarm.

I would pull the HFS out and reinstall it very carefully.

OP
Z

ZightZar

ok, just took the hs off and reinstalled it... says the same temp... how can i be sure if im making complete contact with the proccessor?