• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help running [email protected] on linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Codeman05

Ok guys I now Dual boot linux and will probably be using linux for the most part, so I'd like be running a linux version of [email protected] (still a n00b hehe)
What would be the equivilent of the windows command line client??
Also could I run in while I'm in the GUI?
Thanks

OP
Codeman05

Codeman05

ok I'm an idiot, Its with the "main" downloads...now If I can just figure out how to get this going....

TC

Senior Seti Addict
Gotta unzip it with tar "tar -xvf setiathomeblablabla" Obviously type the correct file name. This will unpack it into a folder with the same name as the file you unzip. Just change into that folder and start the client with "./setiathome" That's a period and a slash followed by the client name. You can put switches after that just like the windows clc - i.e. for a proxy server, etc if you need to. Hope this gets you going.

OP
Codeman05

Codeman05

Yep, figured it out right before you posted. I have it running in the command line, but I'd like to see the progress if possible. I saw a program that was the equivenlent more or less of SetiSpy, but had some trouble "installing" it. Might have to get a friend of mine to help me out with that.
Thx

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
Two things:
if you are running a gui in linux (kde, gnopme, etc.) anyway, using wine and the windows command line client is a bit faster.

I use MultiSetiMonitor on my Farm and it works in linux too; not quite as much info as SetiSpy, but does give current % and more.

Note on wine:
newer distros are very easy to get wine running, usually: the command prompt string in RedHat 7.3 is
wine -- home/setiathome.exe
(if home/setiathome.exe is the complete path and filename for the client.)
And it configures itself.

OP
Codeman05

Codeman05

Thanks Roger I'll be sure to give that a shot, running the CMD line version I got last night does pretty much suck...seems like it was atleast an hour slower.
On another note, I should reach 1,000 before the week is out :D