• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help soldering....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

foxforcefive

I'm looking for someone with some soldering experience to help me with a motherboard that I don't necessarily want to "write off" yet. I got a Asus A7V266 on the AMD Employee Purchase deal with an XP1700.

I bought a new case and both the case and motherboard came with MB standoffs. Well, bonehead me, mixed all of the screws together and found out the hard way that the different sets of standoffs were different heights. I was going to buy a heatsink that attached directly to the motherboard, so I put standoffs in holes that (I thought) were for that purpose. Well, since I didn't have the heatsink yet, I didn't screw anything into those standoffs. Turns out they didn't line up with the holes on the MB. Powered everything up and smelled burning.

The only thing I can see is a trace near the edge of the motherboard that is still connected on one end. I have soldered before, but nothing like this. I would rather have someone do it (right) and pay a little (or offer something in trade) than to do it myself and possibly screw it up so that it can't be fixed. I would obviously pay shipping both ways and would pay a little for it to be done. I also have some misc. hardware that I could give.

Any takers? Respond here or PM me.

BL

Hotsauce

There may be a better way to fix your mobo. Soldering runs is very difficult, mainly because there is really nothing for the solder to adhere to, like wire or such.

What you may be better off doing is tracing the run to the two nearest solder points on each side of your open circuit. Take a solid conductor wire, pull no more that 3/8 in of the insulation off both ends and solder it to the two points.

This is how we used to do mods on pcb's in the USN.

You can also go to an auto parts store and get a defogger repair kit. (the kind used to fix rear window defoggers) Clean affected area with either rubbing alcohol, or acetone (nail polish remover)

Once it has dried, use masking tape to mask off your burnt run, then simply brush on the repair soloution. Let it dry, then remove the tape.

I've never done this myself, but if it can be used to bridge the cache on a cpu, it should work here also. Those defoggers pull some amperage, more than a mobo anyway, so this stuff should hold up very well.

The bad thing here is that even after all of this (as you probably know) the mobo itself may still be fried.

Good luck on getting it fixed.