• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help stabilizing an i7 920 D0 system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NewFaith

Registered
I got a PC in at the moment which was suffering from blue screens. Specs are i7 920 D0, asrock x58 xtreme 3, Tri channel OCZ memory (6sticks) 12 gigs in total running CAS 7 timings

To start off i ran memory test and it would fail after 20 minutes, i changed the the memory from auto too manual voltage 1.654 this allows the system to pass mem test.

Prime 95 and IBT, not a chance. Prime would have a core fail after an hour or so and IBT cant past 2nd test. With just 4 sticks of memory its fine though.

IVe messed around with voltages QPI voltage right now is set to 1.36 so i will see if it passes IBT, I have the CPU voltage set to 1.25 manual, if i have it on auto settings i get 10 more degrees heat in stress tests taking me up to 100 degrees practically.

The memory is at 2100 mhz i could i guess lower the speed and see if its stable, atm i have loosened the timings on the memory to CAS 9 settings

How much QPI voltage can i realistically pump into this thing, i've read some people need 1.4 to get 6 sticks stable

Also QTT voltage, i saw a guy on hardforum say he needed 1.35 QTT voltage to get 6 sticks stable at stock settings, with the CPU being at 1.2500 would setting a 1.35 QTT voltage damage the cpu because of the 0.5 rule?

Last edited:
Are you running stock or overclocked? What is the exact model/part# for the OCZ ram kits? Do both both kits have matching spec?

Stabilizing 6x2GB often does require a bump in QPI/VTT voltage vs. running just one kit 3x2GB...

Some Bloomfield class cpu have weaker IMC then others and trying to run/stabilize 2000(+) memory speeds may be beyond what either your sample cpu or your ram kit's ic can handle. Have you tried to stabilize while running the combo at DDR3-1600 C9 or C8?

"0.5 rule"??... I thought the that pertained to DRAM voltage/VTT(QPI) voltage... Not Vcore/VTT... So if you a run a high voltage DDR3 kit at ~1.8v and then set VTT to ~1.2v Then you would be running with a voltage difference greater than .05v which can damage/kill your chip... Whereas bumping VTT up to 1.300v/1.325v with the same 1.8v DRAM would be safe.

Back