• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help, this is my first (and hopefully) only build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Project.Ace

hey guys, can i get your inspection of this configuration i have? i looked it over, but i want to make sure im not bottlenecked anywhere.

Case: Xion AXP 600 Mid-Tower Gaming Case

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-650 3.20 GHz 4M Intel Smart Cache LGA1156

Motherboard: Asus P7P55D-E LX Intel P55 Chipset DDR3 LGA 1156 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, eSATA, USB3.0, 2x SATA-III, RAID, 1 Gen2 PCIe, 4 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI

Memory: 4GB (2GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)

Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card [-25] (Major Brand Powered by ATI)

Hard Drive: 500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [-18] (500GB x 2 (500GB Capacity) Raid 1 High Performance with Data Security

Cooling Fan: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)

Power Supply Upgrade: 700 Watts - XtremeGear SLI/CrossFireX Ready Power Supply

customizations
Noise Reduction Technology: Anti-Vibration Fan Mounts

Multiple Video Card Settings: Xtreme Performance in SLI/CrossFireX Gaming Mode Supports Single Monitor

Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)

Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

Network: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network

Keyboard: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard

Mouse: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse

Wireless 802.11B/G Network Card: Zonet ZEW1642S IEEE 802.11b/g/n 300Mbps PCI Wireless Adapter Network Card [+29]

Flash Media Reader/Writer: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)

Operating System: None - FORMAT HARD DRIVE ONLY

Ultra Care Option: Ultra Enhanced Packaging Solution - Protect Your Dream System During Transit [+19]
Professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chassis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System [+19]
Service: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT

PA

Last edited:
looks good, but can you clean up the list, i.e. put the parts to one side, options/customisations on the other.

i3 +5670 looks ok,but i would recommend going to AMD for the processor, ull get more value for money and maybe a faster system. i also would recommend you get a GTX450 or a 5770 for a GPU.

EDIT: if this is gonna be your build for a long time, as suggested in title, i would definately put more money into this build and go for a quad-core.

thanks for the advice guys, sorry if it was confusing to read, i'll edit it to make it cleaner.

my uses for this build will be for gaming, movies, and day-to-day use, im not using it to encode or any sort of programming, so theres that. it will mostly be for heavy online gaming, and movies.

i should note that im getting this build from Cyberpowerpc.com so at the moment, i dont have a choice in the matter of processor cuz all they are offering me is Intel processors.

i'm upgrading to the 5770 GPU and i5-650 3.20GHz...

and lastly my budget is to not break 1000 with shipping.

Why a website? They overcharge, I remember a build that they charged over $1200 for ended up being under $800 off Newegg parts. (It was a Phenom II X6 and a GTX460 build off Digital Storm, I believe)

With $1000, you could get a i7-9xx and a pretty good video card. Or an i5 quad core and a really good video card. Consider building it yourself, you'll save a lot of money.

Dude, I strongly recommend that you build your own PC with the help of this website. You can get more for your money. I wouldn't recommend an i5 6xx cpu. 7xx or above ONLY. You can also at least afford a better video card too. Not that the video card you selected is bad, but for the same money you can effectively upgrade the CPU and GPU if you build it yourself.

hey guys, thanks for your input in this build of mine. i understand that i could and probably would save on doing it myself, but one of my problems is the time i dont have to get it done. atm i am in need for a computer, and the last time i tried to build one with my uncle, we failed horribly, we kept coming on hiccups and walls in the building process. so i want to be safer and get it online. thanks so much for the input though guys. =]

In that case, a 5770 is an acceptable video card, but I'd try for at least an i5-7xx, since it's a quad core.

In that case, a 5770 is an acceptable video card, but I'd try for at least an i5-7xx, since it's a quad core.

what about an i5-655k 3.20GHz? what's the processing difference against a i5-760 2.80Ghz???

the quad-core?

i can try to look up the technical difference, but just want your guys opinion, and thanks so much again haha!

The 655k is a high clocked dual core, and the 760 is a lower clocked quad. Personally, I would go with the quad. More and more games are taking advantage of the extra cores, its just going to last longer.

a thing to keep in mind ace, when buying intel CPUs, to not fall to the numbering tricks, because the classes are a little messed up... i.e. i5 6xx being high clocked i3s, i7 870 on a 1156 mobo, i7 980X EE not compatible with X58 etc.

Back