• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help: Trying to plug in my 8800gts with Corsaid 450W (missing 6-pin plug?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TommyHolly

Hey guys,
Ok I need some help on this one. My main question is #4 all the way at the bottom... I've been talking to you guys about video cards and power supplies for about 2 months and I thought I understood what I was doing...ugh

Anyway I have a Dell Inspiron 530, with a Quad core CPU, a stock 350W power supply, and a crappy Nvidia 128MB GPU. I wanted to upgrade the video card and you guys reccommended the XFX "Alpha Dog" 678Mhz 8800 GTS (512MB) G92.

To install this I was told I needed a larger power supply, so I asked around and was told that a Corsair VX450W should work nicely. To back this up, the corsair website has a PSU selector and said it should work as well. However, I think I may be lacking a 6-pin connector for the GPU?

The Corsair PSU has just one 6-pin connector which goes to the Motherboard. However, it looks like the video card ALSO takes a 6-pin connector to power it up. The only other connectors that even remotely match is a cable with dual square 4-pin connectors at the end. (The corsair also came with a bunch of those flat 4-pin connectors with the pins all in a row but the GPU install guides warns not to try to use these if you buy a converter to a 6-pin...not that it came with a converter anyway.) One of those Square 4-pin connectors will actually fit into 4 of the 6 pins in the video card but I don't think it's supposed to work that way? I am guessing you need to use a second 6-pin connector but I don't have one...

(Note: The 8800 GTS came with a notecard with pictures of how to plug in your GPU to the PSU with 1 good example and 3 bad examples... None of the pics match the GPU? The good example shows one single GPU that takes 2 6-pin connectors plugged into the top of the card. My card only has 1 6-pin slot located on the end?? The rest of the pics are warnings not to use 6-pin splitters or flat 4-pin converters to 6-pin.)

Looking at the Corsair website, even the larger VX550 watt PSU only comes with just 1 single 6-pin (PCI-e) connector.

1. Did I order the wrong PSU?

2. Is the XFX 8800 GTS (512) "Alpha Dog" 678Mhz (G92) video card take some special dual 6-pin (PCI-e) PSU to run? (One 6-pin connector for the mother board and one 6-pin connector for the GPU?)

3. AM I missing something? (As in, some instruction that tells me to plug that 4-pin into the 6-pin port of the GPU?)

4. I noticed that on the larger Corsair GPU VX550 watt (I bought the 450W), it has a PCI-e "6 + 2" pin in addition to the normal 6-pin. Looking on the side of the GPU, I see a little dual pin thingy sticking out that probably fits those extra 2 pins. I'm thinking I bought the wrong GPU probably???

The Corsair VX450W specs say it comes with the standard 6-pin PCI-E connector, which is the one that goes to the video card. The connector that goes to your motherboard should be a 4-pin which is also included on that PSU.

6-pin = video card
4-pin = motherboard
24-pin = motherboard

Here's a diagram from the Corsair website, I've circled the PCI-E connector that should be the one that fits into your 8800GTS:

vx450wmw4.jpg

That PCI-E power lead should plug into the 6-pin connector at the bottom of your card seen here in this pic:

14-150-279-07.jpg

Last edited:
You can also use the Molex to 6Pin adapter cable that came with the video card.

As for the 6pin+2pin plug, i have no idea what that 2pin is for.

The Corsair PSU has just one 6-pin connector which goes to the Motherboard. However, it looks like the video card ALSO takes a 6-pin connector to power it up.

I think this thread would be best answered with some PICS! :)

Seriously, a picture would really help all of us here to arrive at some better conclusions and suggestions for you.

I am thinking that maybe you have a proprietary motherboard and CPU, that have odd connections, but pics would really help.

Good luck,

bryan d

Hey guys,
OK I figured it out. Some people on the Dell forums got me confused. On the 8800 GTS 512 from XFX (Alpha Dog edition), thier video card has the 6 pin plug and right around the corner next to it is a small 2 pin plug they said I needed to plug in as well.

I brought my Corsair VX450 Watt PSU to the local TigerDirect.com store and one of the guys that worked there said he had the exact same video card and a smililar PSU. He said the only thing I needed was ONLY the 6-pin PCI-E plug and the motherboard takes only a 4-pin plug. I went home and was able to make the card work.

I was able to barely fit this thing inside my PC. In fact, the SATA cables that connect the DVD drive and the Hard drive had to me moved... The video card literally covers the two that were plugged in. (That is already covered in a question in another thread.) I basically plugged in the SATA cables in the two other ports that were left out in the open and took a chance that it would work and it wouldn't fry anything by doing so. So far this thing works great!

That said, boy this thing is HOT!!! My eyes are drying up from the amount of heat that is pouring out from under my desk, LOL. Someone at Dell forums said I should buy some kind of fan that plugs into one of those slots near the video card, I think I really need one because my PC is extremely warm...almost hot.

Thanks foryour help everyone! Without you I would not have had this things running. Call of Duty 4 came with the GPU so I'm gonna play that in a few minutes. :)

Heh, my computer doesnt have a side, its all sexy in its naked glory. Although this means it gets plenty of fresh air...

Hmm, not sure, but is this what you're talking about? In the first pic (Left), you can see the 2pin on the far left corner. 2nd shot is the 6pin around the corner from it. I dunno, but i can't seem to find any info concerning that 2pin. I would doubt it has anything to do with power.

Last edited:
You can also use the Molex to 6Pin adapter cable that came with the video card.

As for the 6pin+2pin plug, i have no idea what that 2pin is for.

It is so you can use that PCIe aux plug with either a six pin or eight pin on card connector.

Viper

Hmm, not sure, but is this what you're talking about? In the first pic (Left), you can see the 2pin on the far left corner. 2nd shot is the 6pin around the corner from it. I dunno, but i can't seem to find any info concerning that 2pin. I would doubt it has anything to do with power.

Nebulous, that left picture with the 2 little pins was exactly what I was talking about. I was on the Dell forums and some guy had actually shown a pic with those 2 plugs being used on some 6-pin +2 setup saying it was extra power for the fan or something? LOL... Obviously I didn't need it. Thanks again!

attachment.php

Back