• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help Video crashing on A8-3780K build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Peppertrader

I just traded cases on my computer a week ago from an old hp micro atx case, to a Rosewill Challenger mid atx case, due to airflow heat issues. Other then heat issues the computer ran fine with the case open and extra fans blowing on it. All hardware is the same other then the case and two 120mm rosewill case fans mounted on the side panel. The problem I am having is whenever I access an online movie either through Dishnetwork, or google, my video freezes and locks up when connected through the LAN port. ctrl alt delete will not open task manager to end program. Mouse does not work or anything. I have to press the reset on the case. Sometimes It just plain out crashes with a blue screen that flashes by so quick about all I can catch is error: Stopped. and then get the screen windows unexpectedly shutdown press enter to load windows 7. It will also lock up playing old games like Jewel quest, and super collapse 3. This has occurred overclocked as well as reset to defaults. This problems seems to be limited to the motherboards rear LAN and USB module, as a usb mouse or usb wireless network adapter (netgear N600) will recreate the problem when plugged into that module. DVDs play fine, My son played Crisis on extreme to high settings with lag, but no locking up or crash. He never could repeat the issue at his home as he was using a wireless network adapter in the back top usb port. I can use the wireless adapter in other usb ports, as well as the mouse without causing issues. But I wiould rather use the LAN as it is much faster when hardwired to my dsl modem router.

I have even tried turning off the hardware accelerator during the movie, but doesn’t help. It will crash or freeze faster in full screen, but will also crash in a small screen. The freeze I am talking about is like someone is running an electrical current through the video, the video is frozen but the sound continues to play along with a sizzling sound. Very unsettling for sure.

I never had this issue prior to changing the case. I have looked to make sure the case and the motherboard are not touching other then the stand offs. I even removed the back port bezel just to make sure nothing could be causing an issue with it. I have gutted, inspected, reseated the apu, connections and so forth about 5 or 6 times. Nothing appears to be a miss. I have tried just running with just stuff from the old case, and still the same issue. I have reinstalled windows 7 and reinstalled all motherboard drivers. Thinking it might be driver issue. My bios is currently version 1901.

I took great care during the change out to remain grounded, but now kind of wondering if I didn’t somehow zap something. Leaves me to wonder if the apu is not messed up, or I somehow damaged the Ethernet module. Mem test 98 and Intel burn tests passed x5 on standard and high setting. Any help would be greatly appreciated. really not sure what else to do. I am a newbie to this so be easy on me.

Win 7 pro-64bit, motherboard its an Asus fm1a75m amd a75, My apu is AMD a8-3780k. PSU is an OCZ modxstream pro 600w . 2x4 gb 1333 cosair xms3 pc3 10600 ram, hardrive Samsung hd 400 LJ ata, DVD/CDRW is an LG. Not using the stock cooler, but using the stock heatsink from a AMD 955be that is from my other computer.

Last edited:
Thank you, I am currently trying to recreate the BSOD to no avail to get the stop error codes. Of course all it is doing right now is freezing the online movie video like a mad electric current running across the screen and have to manually reset or it is just shutting off and taking me to the unexpected shutdown screen. I have disabled the restart in Windows system, so really not sure what it is doing at this point. I know prior I would see a quick flash of bluescreen. Of course it runs fine as long as nothing is plugged into the LAN and usb module on the back.

Is there a setting in bois that I may need to change?

I guess the computer knows I am trying to fix it.

Again thank you for your help

If 'everything worked' in the old case and all you changed was the case and two fans then it just about has to be a hardware issue of some sort. Board bent pulling down on a short mobo standoff. A stand-off where there should not be one.

I would certainly pull the board from the case and try it on an insulated surface outside of the case. If it will not work outside of the case on insulated surface then you have it out since my guess is a new mobo will be in order or that one sent off to RMA repair.

Back