• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help with 2.4ghz SL6RZ + IC7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Icarus

Okay guys, so my IC-7 Board finally arrived today. I eagerly slapped in my 2.4b SL6RZ Costa Rica 03 week 9 chip and to my dismay, I found that I could only overclock to about 2.88ghz. If I try to go anything beyond that, my monitor just shows a blank screen and I have to clear the CMOS before I can boot up again. The funny thing is that I can hear my computer booting up but nothing is showing up on the display.

Has anyone encountered similar problems? :( Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.

schaef

Registered
I little more detail please,

Have you bumped up the vcore?

I have the same setup and @177 FSB (3.186) looks like I hit a wall. I give it more vcore and it just gets hotter.

Not all chips will do 3.2.

OP
I

Icarus

I don't know. its all very strange. When I tried to overclock on my old Gigabyte GA-8PE667 Pro motherboard, my system would simply crash or reboot at some point if the overclock was too high.

But right now, once I exceed about 2.8ghz, the monitor displays nothing right from the bootup. In other words, my LCD tells me "no signal". I did raise the vcore, but only by a bit (1.55V). I figured that the processor probably wouldn't need that much additional power to reach 2.8ghz. My RAM is set at 2-2-2-5, if that helps.

batboy

Senior Moment
This is happening right at 160 FSB which makes me suspect that you don't have the PCI/AGP bus speeds "fixed" in the BIOS setting.

OP
I

Icarus

I believe they are fixed at 64/32 (shouldn't it be 66/33?). At least that's what is says in the bios. I'll go check anyway. What's the option in the bios to lock the PCI/AGP?

schaef

Registered
The AGP lock option is in the frequencies menu just under where you set the FSB. You can choise a divider or lock.

What RAM are you using? Try using the 5:4 divider for the RAM to see if that's your problem. If it still locks up at 160 FSB then it's not the RAM.

What are your PSU rails like? can you post your 3.3, 5 and 12v rail readings.

Aslo, Can you post your temps?

OP
I

Icarus

okay. I found that the AGP/PCI lock was the problem. It was set to "auto". Now I can reach speeds in excess of 3.2ghz. The only problem that I have is that I have to raise vcore to as high as 1.65v. Most people that I've seen around here seem to be able to do 3.2ghz at merely around 1.55v or so.

I tested stabilty by running 3Dmark 2001. At some point, the program exists to desktop and thats how I could tell if the system was stable or not (after which I would bump up the vcore). My RAM settings are now at 2-3-3-6 at 2.65v.

can someone tell me if my vcore is normal?

OP
I

Icarus

here are my voltages (by the abit hardware monitor):

Vcore: 1.57v
+3.3v: 3.31 ~ 3.34
+5v: ~ 5.24v
+12v: ~ 11.68v

do voltages affect the overclocking potential of a CPU in any way?

JohnnyTheRed

Voltages *can* help to make a higher frequency fsb more stable.

I persoanlly wouldn't go over 1.700 vCore for a P4 2.4. But others will tell you differently. Seems like a good overclock there. Not too bad on the vCore. I might have missed it, but what's your cooling?

OP
I

Icarus

its a Zalman CNPS7000-Cu.

I've changed the northbridge heatsink + fan with the Zalman one, too.

schaef

Registered
Yes, the +12 is what is feeding the CPU and if it's low or fluxuating (sp) it can cause instability. Usually it won't cuase the PC not to POST, but will cause a crash once in windows or booting up.

your +12 looks low, should be above 11.80 atleast. If you have another PSU, through that in and see if it has beter rails. Or depending on the PSU you have in there, it might have adjustable pots to raise the rail voltage.

Kepp in mind, CPUs are luck of the draw. some do 3.4 on air and some only do 2.7 or 2.8. All you can do is keep messing with it till you eliminate all other possiblities.

OP
I

Icarus

I see... thanks for all the replies.

by the way, what does the 1:1 or 5:4 ram ratio mean? Does it have a significant impact on overclocking? Mine is set a 1:1 now.

JohnnyTheRed

1:1 means whatever the speed of the memory is also equal to the speed of the fsb.

So if you have a 133fsb, your ram is also at 133 (which = 266DDR)

The other dividers, in your case 5:4, are just other ratios you can run your memory, as compared to your fsb. If you have it set to 5:4, it means your fsb is at 133mhz, but your ram is at 166mhz (which = DDR 333). *NOTE* my numbers *might* be off, but I think I did it right :p