Need help with 9700K OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Roniq

Hi.

Spec:

i7 9700k

Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi

Dark Rock Pro 4

I wanted to OC my CPU but i can't get 5Ghz or even 4,9GHz stable on any voltage from 1.30 to 1.40 :/

This is my first attempt to overclock so i read and watch some guides on the internet and set bios settings with them, than i only change voltage.

I checked stability with Prime95 27.9 (Blend) and every voltage on both frequencies causes BSOD or freeze after max. 5 minutes.

Yesterday i changed Prime to Asus Realbench. I tried with 4,9Ghz up to 1,36v and nothing. Passes 5x Benchmark in a row from 1,34v to 1,36v but fails at about 5 mins of stress test.

Is my chip just that bad?

Settings of my bios here. Maybe something is set wrong?

https://imgur.com/a/bipsLMx

bigtallanddopey

What are your temps with the cpu set to stock settings. Temps at idle and under load.

Easiest place to start, to check the cooling is ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roniq

Idle ~33C i think. Prime95 (blend) on stock about ~60C. That's what i remember, can't check exactly now.

In Realbench stress test it goes up to 92 max after that 4-5 mins before bsod or freeze at 1.36V

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner

Try leaving the cache alone and only overclocing the CPU. That may not be it, but, I leave the cache on auto since it does so little in most cases.

Also, host the images here at the fourm. imgur images will go away after they aren't clicked on. :)

trents

Can you please list the rest of your components such as video card, PSU make and model (and wattage), Memory configuration and amount?

Also, have you tried various settings on your CPU vcore load line calibration? Right now it's on Turbo. Are their other modes or levels for that?

Your temps are higher than they should be I'm thinking for Realbench stress test. Are you using a discrete video card or the IGP? Realbench stresses both the processor and the video component so if you are using the IGP it would give higher temps.

Roniq

Corsair RM750 750W Gold
Palit GeForce RTX 2060 GamingPro OC
G.Skill Aegis, DDR4, 16 GB,3000MHz, CL16 (2x 8GB)

LLC Turbo is the third setting from the top. Higher is Extreme and Ultra Extreme, but I read to not use them because they give too much voltage.

Setting Uncore Ratio to Auto doesn't change antyhing.

trents

Try setting the uncore ratio to the fixed value of what it is when the system is not overclocked.

Have you tried stress testing the system with all default values? Do you know for sure it is stable at stock settings?

I would also run memtest86 to verify the RAM is good.

"I wanted to OC my CPU but i can't get 5Ghz or even 4,9GHz stable on any voltage from 1.30 to 1.40 :/" I notice from your bios pics that you have an AVX offset of 2. That will actually lower the CPU core speed multiplier by 2x whenever you run software that encounters AVX instruction sets. Both Realbench and Prime94 contain AVX instruction sets. And eve with that 2x offset you are still failing these stress tests?

trents

I would overclock your ram before you try to get your cpu stabl.

Sent from my iPhone using Overclockers

I would not recommend that. Then you're dealing with more variables unless by "stbl" you are referring to leaving the CPU at stock settings. And I'm not sure it is even stable at stock yet.

Zerileous

I was going to ask about memory. It appears that you're changing both memory and CPU at once. Either return the memory to stock settings or set it however you want it, 3200Mhz, and then ensure that the system is stable before applying the CPU overclock.
Does the core current limit need to be increased?

You might need to slow down and change one thing at a time, taking detailed notes of settings and performance, and gradually increase your multiplier until you encounter instability, then experiment with Vcore and LLC until it is stable, and move forward again. Punching in a one size fits all OC might work for an experienced overclocker who is familiar with the platform, but for a first OC you'll get a lot more out of the process by taking an incremental approach and gain a better understanding of the process and your hardware as you go.

Does it pass prime and or real bench while stock? If so then try 4.5GHz with stock voltage and work your way up from there.

bmwbaxter

I would recommend starting from scratch.

-load optimized defaults
-stress test at stock to ensure everything is stable
-just overclock the cpu

Then move on to memory and cache. stress testing at every step but only changing one variable at a time.

I recommend for the CPU just up the multi until it fails the stress test then up the voltage until it passes. Then repeat until temps limit you or voltage is above your comfort zone. Also ensure you have LLC enabled so you aren't getting a vdroop under load. :thup:

Rudolph2109

When some claim that the chache on the CPU “does so little”. I’m very sorry, but they have no clue.
The Cache of the CPU CAN (no guarentee, that depends on the processor individually, and also how OCÂ’able the cores and the cache is on the chip, silicon lottery) make quite a significant difference in performance for both benchmarking results as well as your FPS in games.

The optimal ratio would be 1:1.
So if your CPU cored is running at, and letÂ’s just say 5ghz. Then to get the optimal performance your cache would be running at the same frequency of 5ghz.
However due to the silicon lottery-factor, it is only a very small percentage of the CPUÂ’s produced (any generation, and any model) that is actually capable of doing so!
Mostly if you keep the cache frequency somewhere between 100-400mhz. below core frequency, it wonÂ’t be the problem in case your PC crashes due to overclocking.

I have a I7-9700K that IÂ’ve overclocked to be stable at 5ghz. on the cores and 4,7 ghz. on the cache (and when I say stable, that is ALLWAYS an individual thing from person to person according to HOW they choose test their rig, so stable for how I am using my pc.)
That gave me a score in Cinebench R23 of around: 9.200 points.

What I then did was to see if I could get a 1:1 ratio at, by that point still unknown speed.

And I did.

Core frequency: 4,9Ghz.
Cache frequency: 4,9ghz.
Temps. down from 87C to 72C at the highest.
Voltage down from 1,42 to 1,365
And here is the kicker by the Cinebench R23 score: 10.192

A LOT of people in the community claims that OCÂ’ing cache do very little or even nothing.

DonÂ’t believe them! ;-)