• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with a PSU choice.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kaiga

ok, right now, i'm building a new rig, and I have been looking around for some new PSU's, and I have found to good ones from NewEgg, but apparently, my Limit is $70. Now what I have found, is from the companies, CoolMax, and Rosewill. I have seen some people say Rosewill sux, and some people say Rosewill is ok, and some say Rosewill is good in the past. I am trying to by a quality PSU. and I found this CoolMax PSU, and a Rosewill PSU that seems to be getting good user ratings, and I am just making sure i'm not buying crap.
What i like about both of these is that, they are at least 500W, and they have PFC (Power Fluctuation Correction). That is what I like.
Help will be appreciated. Recomend as well, if you happen to find any other really good ones that are at Max $70.
here are the links:
COOLMAX CX-550B 550W
RoseWill RP550
POWMAX Demon 580W

Last edited:
Whatever you do do not buy the powmax unit. If you can save up an extra 15 dollars I think you could get the fortron blue storm AX-500. The coolmax, and rosewill unit are the same as far as internals, but the rosewill is obviously 15bucks less so just go with the rosewill, if you can't afford the fortron.

PFC actually stands for Power Factor Correction or Controller.

alright what are you talking about using this in. If its the rig in your sig why exactly are you leaving to it to Kawpowmax (580 watts for $32 I wouldn't trust it to run a p3) and with Rosewill you stand a chance of getting a deer unit(very very bad).

Honestly those PSUs barely match up to a 400 watt Fortron Bluestorm which incendently costs about $70.

speed bump said:
alright what are you talking about using this in. If its the rig in your sig why exactly are you leaving to it to Kawpowmax (580 watts for $32 I wouldn't trust it to run a p3) and with Rosewill you stand a chance of getting a deer unit(very very bad).

Honestly those PSUs barely match up to a 400 watt Fortron Bluestorm which incendently costs about $70.
The paticular rosewill and Coolmax units are made by ATNG, I haven't seen any negative reviews on the higher wattage models like these. They should do the job.

Here is the link to the one speed bump is recommending. I recommend it as well if you have the monies. http://tinyurl.com/3hrhn

Thanks for the Suggestions, I will stay away from the POWMAX. I will Probably end up buying the Rosewill, I haven't seen any negative comments about the Rosewill. As for the POWMAX Demon however, I thought it would be a good buy, seeiing that it has a whopping 403 reviews, and it manages to be a 5-star PSU. It may not have PFC, but Its 580 freakin' Watts, and the fact that its only $33, and it has a red glow to it, which is obviously the color my case is going to glow.
This is not the PC in my sig btw, this is a new one i am starting from scratch.
That Fortron you reccomended is only 400W, and it doesn't even have PFC. The reson I need PFC, is that even though I am on a Surge Supressor (can Counter-act 2900 Joules) My city isn't the best at providing really good electricity. The Powmax Demon has no PFC, but on another site, I found that it happens to have a surge suppresor of its own.
Looking at the Output of the Fortron, doesn't seem as good as any of the PSUs. And it only has a 3 star rating, and no one has even reviewed it.
And I remember at a LAN party, this guy had a Fortron in his Case, half way through, about 5 hours of hard gaming, his died, and I ended up letting him use one of my spares. and when this thing died, I mean it really died, a big blue flash flew out the back of his case. And yes, he was on a surge suppressor as well.
When you look at the CoolMax, it has PFC, it is 550W, it has a really great output, and its within my budget. Since you reccomended not to go with that PowMax, (even though it has 403 votes and is rated 5 star) I'll trust you and I will either go with the Rosewill, or the Coolmax.

I forgot to mention, fortron is pretty reliable for the price, your really can't get much better, however everything has a chance of dying, doesn't really matter what you get, it can die. The reason we do not recommend really cheap units(like powmax), is because when they die, they have more of a chance of taking stuff with them like the motherboard, etc. because they aren't made as well.

At the bottom of this page you will see the insides of the powmax. http://tinyurl.com/4vfra
It has been a long held truth that the weight of the power supply often gives away the quality of its build. I have to say that if I judge purely on this, both of the Demon's would fall horribly low on the food chain. Though they are high wattage, they feel like the cheap no-name brand 150W power supplies from the days of the PII.

Last edited:
Back