• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help with a router plz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M00CH

I just got a d-link 704p router/switch. i have two machines set up and both running fine both can share file play games and surf the net. but i can't gwt my ftp to work anymore. im running win2000 the fire wall is not on in the router. im using the ip he router gave me.

what am i doing wrong
little help plz

JasonKosi

Are people trying to connect to your FTP server from outside or is this just between the two computers?

If it's the first option, then you will likely have to turn on port forwarding in order for this to work as most routers mask your computers by the nature of how they work.

FTP uses ports 20 and 21 if memory serves me correctly. Simply tell the router that any requests coming to it on ports 20 and 21 to forward those on to ports 20 and 21 on the IP address of your FTP server.

Jon

Just Another Retired Moderator
Forwarding has to be set on the router for port 21. You'll need to enter the router setup utility and forward port 21 to the local IP of the machine being used as your FTP server. The manual should tell you where and how to do this. It would be best that machine has a static IP set, as well, so you don't have DHCP conflicting with the address you specify.