• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with DDR settings on Epox 8KHA+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mag22

Registered
Hi all.

First let me say I've read my owners manual for the MOBO and also the above sticky about BIOS settings. I'm still confused as to the correct settings for maximum performance. Here's what I've currently got:

AMD 1800+
Epox 8KHA+
Samsung DDR333 PC2700 256MB
Factory BIOS

and the current settings are:

CPU Clock 148
CPU Ratio Auto (It's locked at 11.5 I do believe)
Core Volt 1.85
VDIMM Volt 2.90 - I sorta guessed this should be higher for CAS2

Under DRAM Clock/Drive Ctrl I have:
Sys Performance Turbo
DRAM Clock By SPD
DRAM timing Manual
SDRAM Cycle length 2
Bank Interleave disabled (only 1 stick)
DRAM prechrg to ACT 2t
DRAM ACT to prechrg 5t
DRAM active to cmd 2t
DRAM Burst Length 4
DRAM queue depth 3 level
DRAM Drive strength Auto
DRAM command rate 1t command
DCLKI Timing 0ns
DCKLO Timing 0ns

Sorry for so much garbage here but I really want to get the most out of my rig!! Please help me out :) Also... does DRAM clock By SPD mean my RAM is running at the FSB speed? Current FSB Frequency and Current DRAM Frequency are both shaded in blue at 133 MHz. My puter POST's at XP 2000+ (1.702 GHz)

First thing I would do would be to go get the latest beta BIOS. Seems to like higher FSB much better than most other BIOSes.

It's the 2314 BIOS and can be found here.

I have the same board and here's what I have it set at for best results.

Sys Performance Turbo
DRAM Clock Manual
SDRAM Clock 133mhz
DRAM timing Manual
SDRAM Cycle length 2
Bank Interleave 4-Way (even with one stick)
DRAM prechrg to ACT 2t
DRAM ACT to prechrg 6t (5t will not help but hinder)
DRAM active to cmd 2t
DRAM Burst Length 4
DRAM queue depth 4 level (Lower is not better(I believe))
DRAM Drive strength Auto
DCLKI Timing 0ns
DCKLO Timing 0ns
Fast R-W Turn Around Enabled
Continuous DRAM Request Enabled

You should flash to the newest !!!beta!!! bios dated 3/14/02 you can download a floppy image for a bootdisk with the bios on it from http://www.nikikampa.de/epox/

I've found this bios very stable and fast! :)

Good Luck
Kook

This is what i used on my 8kha and it performs VERY well, up to 170fsb, at cas2, i run 10x160 all day

Sys Performance Turbo
DRAM Clock Manual
SDRAM Clock 133mhz
DRAM timing Manual
SDRAM Cycle length 2
Bank Interleave 4-Way (even with one stick)
DRAM prechrg to ACT 2t
DRAM ACT to prechrg 6t (5t will not help but hinder)
DRAM active to cmd 2t
DRAM Burst Length 4
DRAM queue depth 4 level (higher is better, 4 will beat 2 way)
DRAM Drive strength Auto
DCLKI Timing 0ns
DCKLO Timing 0ns
Fast R-W Turn Around Enabled
Continuous DRAM Request Enabled

The best guide there is in the Epox Section of www.amdmb.com
by Mushkin Rules, basically set all the settings to Manual (133MHZ) and everything to lowest settings.
Except Bank Interlave (4) set DRAM Burst Level to 8 then bench, 4 then bench again.

Hope this helps.
Oh and by the way set the RAm divider on in the new BIOS and set it to 200FSB and boot up, it works! Have a look at Mushkin Rules thread entitled EPOX PCI/AGP DIVIDERS DO EXIST!
Provides some conclusive evidence.

Really makes for great reading, if you can't see it then do a search for it.

Good Luck,
M_N

Thanks!

I appreciate your helpful responses!! Thank you all. Most seem to think a BIOS flash is in order... what do I have to gain by flashing the BIOS on a chip that I do not plan to unlock? I'm strictly an air-cooled-get-more-for-no-cash kind of guy. I can't see a FSB setting of 170 being feasible (1.955 GHz!) without unlocking the chip to reduce the multiplier. I'm also pretty happy with my cheap-o Volcano 6 cu HSF allowing 1.702GHz rock stable and CAS 2 capable RAM from Samsung. Will I see some other sort of improvement from a BIOS update? And how far can I push this 1800+ before I have to spend money again? Bang for the buck is what this project is all about! Thanks again for your time.:)

Bios updtes just give you added features, support, resolve driver issues, increase stability and performance too!!

The new one is great.

Use the Alt+F2 Flash method for simplicity.

M_N

Back