• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with FX-4170

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The "green" settings are what slows the processor down and decreases the voltage at idle. Are they still on? If you're planning on doing some more serious overclocking then you'll want those turned off anyway, but if you're like me and your computer is sitting idle most of the time and you don't plan on doing a heavy overclock, then leaving them on is fine in my opinion.

when you say the green settings you mean the epu engine... in this case its not controlling the vcore, digi vrm and amd apm are the ones that controll the cpu vcore... at stock voltage with epu engine off the cpu changes the voltage to 0.8125 on idle...

so heres what i woke up to this morning, i woke up extremely late so i only had time to snag the screenshot
its better, definately ALOT better then the last core
but it still "failed" a core
any suggestions?

as per the other guy, no, the VCore was automatically set in bios when it recognized the core, before i loaded anything with the replacement i immediately went in and dropped the voltage

/edit1
again, under the assumption that the programs are reading accurately, with the K8 Cool&Quiet control OFF, even under a constant load im seeing a .02-.1 voltage drop from time to time, possible cause of a core failing if it drops long enough?

Attachments

• cpu4.png
    cpu4.png
    200.7 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
so heres what i woke up to this morning, i woke up extremely late so i only had time to snag the screenshot
its better, definately ALOT better then the last core
but it still "failed" a core
any suggestions?

as per the other guy, no, the VCore was automatically set in bios when it recognized the core, before i loaded anything with the replacement i immediately went in and dropped the voltage

/edit1
again, under the assumption that the programs are reading accurately, with the K8 Cool&Quiet control OFF, even under a constant load im seeing a .02-.1 voltage drop from time to time, possible cause of a core failing if it drops long enough?

had the same problem while using vcore in offset mode... it looks like while on mid load the mb set the vcore to its higher value, and while highly threaded and under heavy load, it simply drops down the vcore an offset from the max... try disabling the offset mode and set the vcore to 1.250v manully, with apm master on....
that did the trick for me, only problem now is that the mb doesnt drop the vcore on idle, but works like a charm on load!

I've been quiet here, but as you'll see with the s/s, i think its safe to say im stable 100% :p
temps are a little higher then I'd like but i can live with it.
and i even checked the voltages with a multimeter and i can assure u, aside from the usual .1-.2 deviation, all voltages should be on target
unless of course something is happening between connector and device to cause it to drop, but alot of people dont like the reliability in software when it comes to voltages

I've been quiet for another reason, and I hope someone here can help me with this next issue but I have a feelings its more or less a "we cant get along" issue.

basically what happens now, is when i go to load Portal 2 *downloaded via steam* it BSODs. most of the time @ the loading menu, and a couple of times i actually made it to the main menu.

if any1 can help me out with that issue now, that'd be awesome.
i already have a very very good feeling its the processors due to the fact that i did quite a bit of research and found that alot of people were saying that Portal 2, Shogun 2, and Deus EX do not run very good with these cores.

the bios is as up to date as it can get, unless ofc i screwed up flashing it originally before getting the first 4170.

and i know its specifically this core, due to the fact that when i put my Athlon II x4 640 back in, portal 2 has no problems loading

thanks again for all the help guys <3

Attachments

• BD.png
    BD.png
    163.7 KB · Views: 80
It is what it is...

There are motherboards that have a working bios for FX processors and Win 7 and steam games. Gigabyte boards seem to be a prime offfender with bioses that are not released that fix the Steam + FX processor + M$ issues.

Gigabyte needs to be advised of the board you have with a full part number and revision in order to get a fixed bios.

Below is what it is. Core parking script.

makija21
03-24-2012, 08:46 PM

Yo guys for all who are having Amd Fx ( Bulldozer ) cpu problems i have found a temporary solution try it, if you didn,t get your motherboard bios update like me: The file is in rar, check it with antivirus, I didn,t get any viruses whilst downloading and scanning it!

Rar file: I used it simply, just click the bat file ( black one named: Orochi-CEG ), it will temporary fix some code in cpu, moderators u can check it. Then just run steam and Shogun 2 Total War. I don not guarantee if it will work, but what have you got to loose at this point, maybe it will or will not work.

Ps: Every time you restart or boot you pc, you have to restart this file before clicking play! A temporary solution, don,t kill me! It worked for me! =)

File link: http://hotfile.com/dl/143814991/eaad23b/Orochi-CEG.zip.html?lang=cz

Orochi-CEG.zip | 1.1 MB Download link 'does' work as I just tested it to see if server still had the file.
http://hotfile.com/dl/143814991/eaad23b/Orochi-CEG.zip.html?lang=cz

I've been in planes all day and just got back home, and my dumfone is too stupid to stay logged into OCF long enough to post. :rolleyes:

I was going to suggest the same thing RGone has. The games affected that I know of are Deus Ex: Human Revolution; Total War: Shogun 2; Team Fortress 2; and Portal 2. Out of those games, I only own Portal 2, and I did have the same issues when trying to play Portal 2 as you described. I originally downloaded Orochi-CEG.exe and used it, and it got the game up and running like normal, but as RGone's post states, you have to start it every time you start your computer for it to run the game. The only permanent fix is an updated BIOS; which my motherboard manufacturer has graciously provided for my board since then, so now my game works without having to run Orochi-CEG.exe first.

Hello there! you know, this is quite strange... I'm running Portal 2 with no problem with my fx-4170... also, I contacted AMD people to get some more info about the processor and its temps... max temp is 61.1°C, and it referes to the core temp, not the CPU temp... CPU temp is being provided by the mainboard, not the CPU itself... it's a sensor wich is located in the AM3+ socket...
core temps are provided by the CPU, so when AMD posts the max temps for their processors, they refer to the temps that are being provided by the CPU itself, not the mainboard, summing up, CORE temps... core temps are accurate to measure max and peak temps, while the senson located in the socket is accurate to measure idle temps...
knowing this, you may want to review the undervolting you have done to you CPU, maybe it's unnecesary, and it may also be the source of your problems! I have my fx-4170 with automated voltage (stock settings) and I'm getting 50°C temps while stressed with prime95 blend test, stock cooler... I'm 11°C below the maximum value, so I'm fine (anyway, in a few weeks I'm gonna buy a CM 212+ to lower this temps a bit!!)... I also stressed the CPU using a more "real-world" application, I used starcraft II to stress it, and it only reached 43°C...

I would highly recommend you to leave the voltage of the cpu stock, it may solve your issues... check it out and give me a feedback...

BTW, here are my specs:

@ "tincho5588...

1. GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 AM3 Latest bios is middle of 10th month of 2011 and since Gigabyte is a prime offender in the FX processor and game problems, that bios from 2011 most likely does n0t have the FX Steam games fix.

2. Asus M5A97 PRO Latest bios is 3rd month of 2012 and likely has the bios fix for AMD and steam gaming since Asus knew the FX processors needed a bios fix and your chipset is in the later 9xx series and is definitely supposed to support FX processor whereas his 8xx series processor is barely a fit for the FX processors in some situations.

@ "tincho5588...

1. GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 AM3 Latest bios is middle of 10th month of 2011 and since Gigabyte is a prime offender in the FX processor and game problems, that bios from 2011 most likely does n0t have the FX Steam games fix.

2. Asus M5A97 PRO Latest bios is 3rd month of 2012 and likely has the bios fix for AMD and steam gaming since Asus knew the FX processors needed a bios fix and your chipset is in the later 9xx series and is definitely supposed to support FX processor whereas his 8xx series processor is barely a fit for the FX processors in some situations.

You proved your point! but, even if the portal problem is related with the mobo, I would still recommend to undo the undervolting applied to the cpu... the system may prove to be a bit more stable, because the VRM doesn't always work as expected when you set your voltages manually, you may have drop downs while on full load (unless you configure your LLC carefully, but I don't know if gigabyte has that option), and a vcore drop while working undervolted could result in a core fail... that's what made me think that the vcore could be causing the problem... doesn't hurt to try it!

cheers!

The thing is I don't really think he was "undervolting". I don't know what the stock vCore on a FX-4170 is, but I'm willing to bet it's the same as the 4100. The problem is definitely in the mobo.

The thing is I don't really think he was "undervolting". I don't know what the stock vCore on a FX-4170 is, but I'm willing to bet it's the same as the 4100. The problem is definitely in the mobo.

mmm... max vid on my CPU is 1.4125v... at full load I get a vcore between 1.34v and 1.38... when turbo is enabled I get 1.41v... also notice that fx-4100 has 2 turbo modes, while fx-4170 has only one turbo mode... so the processors have some differencies apart from the clock...
I may be wrong, but I think fx-4170 is different in stepping when compared to fx-4100, that's why it has a different vid, turbo mode, tdp, max temp... correct me if I'm wrong...
Anyway, I tried undervolting my fx-4170 to 1.25 and it was not stable at full load... it was stable at 1.28v, but (you may think I'm crazy here) I noticed some performance drop...
I think I read on some of his previous posts that he dropped the vcore...

Yes, per my recommendation to try and drop temps down to normal. If you have the FX-4170 as well maybe it does have a higher stock voltage. If so, maybe I have a semi-magic chip that can do 4.2 on stock 4100 voltage. :shrug:

Yes, per my recommendation to try and drop temps down to normal. If you have the FX-4170 as well maybe it does have a higher stock voltage. If so, maybe I have a semi-magic chip that can do 4.2 on stock 4100 voltage. :shrug:

It's not magic, every chip is different, even if they are the same model and stepping... vcore requirements could be different in 2 exact same chips...
What I mean is, you can have a chip wich passed the QC with outstanding performance, and maybe in the same lot you have others chips wich passed the QC with less performance, those chips may need higher vcore to get to 4.2ghz...
In my particular case, my chip can't handle 4.2ghz at 1.25vcore... p95 throws errors after +1hr of work... on 1.28v it shows to be stable... but I decided to keep the voltage on stock values (wich are a little higher), cause even stressed I'm 11°C below max temp on stock voltages... If an engineer proposed that stock vcore for my chip to run on stock clock, it may be for some reason...

PS. (edit): forgot to mention, an fx-4170 is not an overclocked 4100... as I said before, not only the clock is different, we also have a difference in the NB clock, turbo mode, TDP... maybe power requirement is different, that's why you can hit 4.2ghz with 1.25v while the 4170 can't...

Last edited:
There are motherboards that have a working bios for FX processors and Win 7 and steam games. Gigabyte boards seem to be a prime offfender with bioses that are not released that fix the Steam + FX processor + M$ issues.

Gigabyte needs to be advised of the board you have with a full part number and revision in order to get a fixed bios.

Below is what it is. Core parking script.

makija21
03-24-2012, 08:46 PM

Yo guys for all who are having Amd Fx ( Bulldozer ) cpu problems i have found a temporary solution try it, if you didn,t get your motherboard bios update like me: The file is in rar, check it with antivirus, I didn,t get any viruses whilst downloading and scanning it!

Rar file: I used it simply, just click the bat file ( black one named: Orochi-CEG ), it will temporary fix some code in cpu, moderators u can check it. Then just run steam and Shogun 2 Total War. I don not guarantee if it will work, but what have you got to loose at this point, maybe it will or will not work.

Ps: Every time you restart or boot you pc, you have to restart this file before clicking play! A temporary solution, don,t kill me! It worked for me! =)

File link: http://hotfile.com/dl/143814991/eaad23b/Orochi-CEG.zip.html?lang=cz

Orochi-CEG.zip | 1.1 MB Download link 'does' work as I just tested it to see if server still had the file.
http://hotfile.com/dl/143814991/eaad23b/Orochi-CEG.zip.html?lang=cz

this worked 100% for me, so it being that my core is "undervolted" and unstable is false

sorry, i know after asking a question i got inactive but i was eagerly awaiting Diablo 3, and since thats out i think alot of my other games will be played ALOT less XD

but yes, this temp fix worked, like a charm, for a few mins anyway XD didnt get to in depth into portal 2 as i gotta leave for work soon

but i go to main menu and sat there for a few mins and nothing happened, no BSOD, no nothing, just the little video in the background XD

thanks for the fix, i dont care if i have to apply it every time i start up my comp to play portal 2, ill do it, no biggie XD

im already got a ticket into gigabyte about the issue as well
so we'll see what they say, but its looking more and more like they arent going to respond and just dodge me, and essentially force me to go pick up a new mobo, in which case i may switch to a diff manufacture at this point, cause its ridiculous that they would know of an issue but not fix it

they need to atleast remove the "compatibility" for the fx series core off their website, cause as far as im concerened, that doesnt make it compatibile in my honest opinion

either way, with diablo 3 out, i doubt ill be doin much other gaming, and diablo 3 runs flalwlessly.

just thought id update you guys
gigabyte, after nearly 4-5 days, finally sent me a reply
AND THEY HAD A NEW BIOS VERSION FOR ME XD

bios version FEF, it fixed the issue i was having with Portal 2.
im going to re-do the stability test in prime 95 tonight just to make sure everything is 100% and the new bios version didnt screw with anything else

Asus is the company that has been far ahead of Gigabyte in addressing the FX/steam issue.

I'm not really complaining about that, and I haven't had any problems with my ASUS board, but from the things I have read about ASUS customer support being all but absent, and the fact that Gigabyte is another option for a good-quality motherboard, I just thought I'd give them a try next time is all I really meant.

I agree with trying something else. Mobo's regardless of how many individuals treat them; are not life and death. Not for a true enthusiast anyway.

idk how quick gigabyte was on getting a bios update on their AM3+ boards

but i think what this situation might be
is the fact that this board is originally an AM3 board
then bios update FEE allowed for AM3+ cores

so my guess, is that they didnt want to post that bios version
so that people wouldnt use it if they didnt need it

just a guess
cause ya even tho they could have messaged me back next day or something, they still had bios version FEF there and ready

either way
thanks for ALL of the help guys
forgot to start up P95 last night cause i played Diablo 3 till about midnight and i was extremely tired XD :p

either way
it was stable before
and nothing but the bios has changed
so i cant see anything being screwed up :p

Back