• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help with gaming computer build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blockhard

I am trying to upgrade a computer that was completely setup wrong. This is a dedicated Flight Simulator X steam edition computer. What I am trying to get accomplished is to have it able to run three monitors. I have three 4k tv as monitors. I know it will be hard to run it at full 4k each, so I was planning to run at 1080P. I need help finding a solution that allows to run the three monitors and maximize USB controllers, since I have a lot of gauges and controllers.

Current Setup:

Intel i7-4790k
MSI - Z97 Gaming 5 Motherboard
EVGA 2400 SuperSC DDR3 32gb ram (8gb X 4)
Samsung SM951 M.2 256GB PCI-Express 3.0 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Corsair Carbide Series Air 240 High Airflow Case
Asus GTX 750 TI - OC

bought but not yet installed:

2 cards of Vantec Quad Chip 4-port USB 3.0 pcie with 5Gbps

I know I need to change out the video card and possible SLI two cards to run all three monitors at a decent refresh rate.

What should I get or upgrade?

I'm no expert in high end graphics but I would assume you can run two monitors simultaneously off of the Nvidia 750ti card. You probably need to pick up another video card for the third monitor since the onboard video is disabled by default when you add a discrete GPU. Whether or not the 750ti OC is adequate to drive a 4k monitor, that I don't know.

This should give you an idea of the horsepower needed to run 3x4K resolution

93_400_amd-radeon-r9-fury-triple-4k-displays-11-520x2160.png

Whether or not the 750ti OC is adequate to drive a 4k monitor, that I don't know.
It can barely play games at 1080p, none the less 3x 4K monitors! :)

Yeah, for that, at 4K resolution with high/ultra settings, even without AA, I would be looking at 3 980Ti's or Titans since they have 12GB of vRAM.

well this is flight sim x, not exactly sure what the requirements are to drive that res for an older game such as that

It's a cpu limited game for the most part. But at that res... who knows. I'd still start off with 2 980tis...

Flight SIM x was one of the games that couldn't be adequately run until years after release. You can be sure that at 4k, you'll need a powerhouse. Especially 3x4k.

Back