• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with i7-2600 OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hmm, 1.32 should be plenty to even get up around 4.5ghz with no issues. Try turning off speed step (EIST) and c1e (and the other C-states) in your BIOS to make it so it runs constantly at 4.1ghz right now and see if it still does it.

I am not sure, I haven't witnessed it, that's why I wanted you to turn off speedstep/c-states in order to turn off the power savings features to see if running at one speed 100% of the time alleviates the issue.

well if its a piece of the puzzle, on CPU-Z it does keep switching between my chosen multiplier and 16x

Hmm, 1.32 should be plenty to even get up around 4.5ghz with no issues. Try turning off speed step (EIST) and c1e (and the other C-states) in your BIOS to make it so it runs constantly at 4.1ghz right now and see if it still does it.

Try doing these, also Disable PLL Overvoltage. So is it locking up under load or idle?

I use it for gaming, anyways what temp should I stop at? I use torturetest to make it work maximum

I keep all mine at less then 70C. The Sandy Bridge overclock differently than previous Intel chips. Everything is now tide together with the clock speed and cannot be isolated. The best you can do with FSB is about 105. After that it sets all the other clocks out of tolerance and you get lockup. With SB you can only do serious OC via the multiplier. That is why with SB, you need K processors (which you have).

Recommend setting your FSB back to 100. Bump vcore to 1.4 (or 1.38 if ur not comfortable with 1.4). 1.4v is pretty much what everyone considers real safe. I have seen numbers all the way to almost 1.5 but that's a little to high for me.

Change your multiplier to 42 and start your OC test from there. Run burnin tests and bump up another multiplier every time it tests as stable. What I usually do is set the multiplier to 42 and volt to 1.4v to set as my baseline. Then i'll do increases using the MB manufacturers OC program to made adjustments in the OS. Once it crashes, reboot back into the OS, use the last stable settings, test again but for longer. If it still tests stable, then reboot and go into BIOS to set your new settings.

2600k is almost guaranteed to reach 4.2Ghz. I haven't seen anyone complain about not reaching 4.2ghz, and all the MB companies auto-OC to 4.2ghz. Decent chips will reach 4.5 to 4.6. Really good chips will hit 4.8 to 5ghz, but I believe those are far and few between.

BTW, make sure you use an aftermarket heatsink. The CM hyper 212+ at $20-$30 is your best bang for buck. Megahelams are also really good, but they are almost a C Bill by the time to get some decent fans to go with it. Enjoy.

Recommend setting your FSB back to 100. Bump vcore to 1.4 (or 1.38 if ur not comfortable with 1.4). 1.4v is pretty much what everyone considers real safe. I have seen numbers all the way to almost 1.5 but that's a little to high for me.

2600k is almost guaranteed to reach 4.2Ghz. I haven't seen anyone complain about not reaching 4.2ghz, and all the MB companies auto-OC to 4.2ghz. Decent chips will reach 4.5 to 4.6. Really good chips will hit 4.8 to 5ghz, but I believe those are far and few between.

I wouldn't want to go past 1.4v for 24/7 clocks, especially when you start adding in LLC which will add some voltage under load.

I have yet to see a chip that can't easily do 4.5, I believe that every chip can hit minimum 4.8-5.0, but maybe not at voltages that one would want to run 24/7. I can run my 2600k at 4.8 with 1.4v with no issues (prime95 stable) and I hardly consider it a special chip (53x max multi).

I've done what Janus told me in his first post, as well as disabling PLL overvoltage, but still a 1-2 second freeze every couple of minutes. If i'm watching a video i hear a corrupted file sound. The computer does not display any error messages.

One other thing to try:

Go to Start and Type MSConfig

Hit the radio button for diagnostic mode and reboot. Test that out and see if it gets the stutters. This will help us test if it is the overclock (really shouldn't be...) or if it is a software problem of sorts.

Drop your overclock back to 4.0 and see if you still get freeze.
Explain when the freeze happens. Is it when system is idle, watching video, gaming??

Still haven't tried what you guys said but this freeze happens when I watch vids at youtube and during gaming.

Everyone is giving advice thinking it is OC problem when it may not be. Get Prime95 and run it for 2 hours. Also get Memtest and run it to see if you get ram errors. Run it atleast a hour. Run Prime reg first if you get a error or lock up, run it again and set to small FFT's.

how do i know if there was an error in the running of prime95? Like if it froze a couple of times?

If it stops working there is an error (or if it crashes/you bsod are good signs as well).

You may also get a core error which will make a thread turn Red instead of Green. We just want to verify the problem is not OC related.

have ran it all night, all workers are green, no problems detected, this is with 1.32 vCore and 40x100

Back