• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need HELP with Lite-on DVD drive!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fluxer

Simply put, I just built a new system and everything works except my Lite-on 16x DVD drive. Click the link for the exact item, which I bought from newegg.

This is what I have:
/-- Lite-on 16x DVD drive Windows XP doesn't recognize this drive!
/
/-- Lite-on 48x CD-RW drive
/
/
/-- IDE2 on MB

When I say the DVD is not being recognized, I mean it can't play any CDs and the drive does not show up under My Computer.

I am using Windows XP Professional and my motherboard is a gigabyte GA-8IHXP. This is getting quite annoying, help pls!

amd_builder said:
Simply put, I just built a new system and everything works except my Lite-on 16x DVD drive. Click the link for the exact item, which I bought from newegg.

This is what I have:
/-- Lite-on 16x DVD drive Windows XP doesn't recognize this drive!
/
/-- Lite-on 48x CD-RW drive
/
/
/-- IDE2 on MB

When I say the DVD is not being recognized, I mean it can't play any CDs and the drive does not show up under My Computer.

I am using Windows XP Professional and my motherboard is a gigabyte GA-8IHXP. This is getting quite annoying, help pls!
Well first check your IDE and power conection... Next I would try a new IDE cable.. ..if that dosnt work then I would try the add new hardware option ..If none of the above work I would asume the drive is dead..

I tired the "Add new hardware" option, actually I think it's "Scan for new hardware," under the hardware profiles in Windows XP and it only detected the Lite-on CD-RW.

I know it's getting power since the Lite-on DVD drive (the one that doesn't work) opens etc. when I hit the eject button. Also, the IDE cable i'm using is a brand new Clear/Silver rounded IDE cable with 2 heads from Newegg so maybe it's that.

I'll try a new IDE cable I guess...

also make sure that both devices on both ide channels are set to auto-detect and that both channels are enabled. also you could try switching the two drives(master/slave) around, also try cable select. you should always have the master closest to the mobo.

Well the drive is OEM I think so it didn't come with a manual or anything, i'll have to check out the jumpers.

Right now I got it working by putting the DVD on IDE1 (I have an SCSI drive) and the CD-RW on IDE2.

elBogg - Does it matter if the DVD is on the farther IDE connector or should it be on the middle IDE?

I think that both drives should be on the same IDE channel. I have the same drive and all I had to do is change the jumper to...I forgot what it's called but its not the "master" or the "slave". It's called something else. I know this sounds weird, but just take a look on the jumper area of the dvd drive and you'll know what I'm talking about. Good luck.

Back