• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help With Missing Files

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

setotitan

hey guys need some help here. the other day i was noticing i couldn't find MS paint, i even opened the run window and typed "paint" and no luck. i tried to do "calc" for the MS calculator, just to make sure i wasn't loosing my mind, and got an sys error. i brushed it aside because i've got other apps that can handle those functions. but then again tonight i ran into an issue where i couldn't get to the speaker icon in my sys tray to control my volume. i was informed to check in windows/system32 for "sndvol32.exe" and turns out it was missing as well :screwy: so anyways i don't know if it was a virus or what but i seem to have lost a grouping of sys exe files. not sure exactly what folder but it's in "Accessories". i see the "Accessibility, Communication, Entertainment, and System Tools". funny i've never bothered to notice what files where in that grouping. anyways i'm looking for a way to get those programs back. is there a repair utility or some way i could extract them from the windows install disk? i'm running XP Pro 32bit if that helps. any input is welcome!

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
Are the Accessories still listed in Control Panel--> Add or Remove Programs--> Add/Remove Windows Components?

OP
setotitan

setotitan

sorry it took so long to respond, however no i don't see "Accessories" in "Add or Remove Programs". so what's that mean?

OP
setotitan

setotitan

oops.. must have been half asleep when i read your first post. i was looking in the list of progs for it, didn't even see it was a button on the left. found it and the option to reinstall "Accessories" thanks for the help.