• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with my new wireless setup.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trueplaya4ever8

First of all it is a linksys 802.11b 11mbps system. well it works on here but i cant get the the port fowarding to work to well at all, i have copied the settings on my modem to the router the ports at least. any help here would be appreciated.

as for my second question i am also settin it up on a labtop, i got it workin it connects to the router but cant connect to the internet. help here is also very appreciated as well.

i should be receving my pc parts to put together my pc tommorow and thursday.
i may have more questions soon.
as always
thanks
:D

trueplaya4ever8 said:
First of all it is a linksys 802.11b 11mbps system. well it works on here but i cant get the the port fowarding to work to well at all, i have copied the settings on my modem to the router the ports at least. any help here would be appreciated.

as for my second question i am also settin it up on a labtop, i got it workin it connects to the router but cant connect to the internet. help here is also very appreciated as well.

i should be receving my pc parts to put together my pc tommorow and thursday.
i may have more questions soon.
as always
thanks
:D

What particular ports are you trying to foward to? Would help with a little more information, and what errors you are getting.

As for the laptop, I assume you checked your IP address to verify you are connected to the router? If so, should be something like 192.168.1.102 If you are getting a good IP address, Ping the routers gateway address, I.E.

Ping 192.168.1.1
should get a reply from

If so, you know you are connected to the router. If you can't get internet, do you get internet on other computers connected to the router? This could be a DNS issue. Try pinging a couple web sites I.E.

Ping www.yahoo.com
Ping www.google.com

If you get a request timed out, try pinging their DNS numbers.

I.E.

Ping 216.176.128.10

If you get replies from, then you have a DNS routing problem. To fix this, log into your router, and under internet, check to see what your DNS addresses are provided to you from your service provider. Should have at least 2 maybe 3. Write down Primary and Secondary DNS numbers.

If you are using Windows XP, go to control panel, then click on network connections. Highlight your wireless network connection, right click and choose properties.

Select "TCP/IP"
Choose properties

You will see a couple different options. Leave it at obtain IP address automatically.

Below that you should see, use automatic DNS configuration. Set it to Specify DNS configuration, and you will see 2 boxes light up. Put in the DNS numbers here for primary and secondary that you wrote down from the router. Apply the changes, will take a min for windows to save settings, then press any OK buttons. Now try and surf. Should work.

i have gotten it to work the labtop, and pc. i am still checkin the port forwardin, i am trying to get ports 6881-6999 open, i just dont know what i should put at the ip, but i am trying the current ip of my connection. i am gonna take a quick break, so i will find out in a lil while.

Okay, here is how port fowarding works.

You set a range of information to go out to certain IP address. This IP address will be an IP of one of your computers. Always reserve this IP address for that computer so that it never changes.

Back