• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help With my RIG! (965BE C3)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Assasjin

Registered
So i've tried some overclocking
http://forums.amd.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=13&threadid=124355&enterthread=y

And failed cause I just had no clue what to do and the AMD forums weren't really a big help (though at some point i got 3800Mhz stable on 1 hour OCCT)

So I decided to set everything on default in bios and tried running prime95 and occt (just out of curiosity on a non OCed system)
Prime95 said FATAL ERROR on core 3 and stops that core after 5-7 minutes
OCCT stops and says error detected on core #0, or 2 (seems random)

what is going on? are these programms just off? Should I be concerned about this?:cry:

Dooms101

You definitely should be concerned, as stated at the Prime95 site's FAQ's, any error detected is a result of faulted hardware and should not be ignored. Sure, you're system would probably stable like 95% of the time if it's used well under load (like 30 - 40% load.) But there IS a faulty piece of hardware.
But by faulty, I don't mean broken necessarily. You could have wrong voltages, wrong ram timings, or even a bad PSU!
There's plenty of helpful people here, so post your complete setup here.

First get CPU-z from: http://cpuid.com/cpuz.php and run it.

Then upload a screenshot of the CPU tab, SPD tab, and Memory tab. Then could you list the motherboard make and model, ram make and model, your cpu cooler model, graphics card make and model, and power supply make and model.

Hopefully if there is something wrong, it can be remedied easily. However, it seems odd that you could post and start up your OS with 3.8ghz...

OP
A

Assasjin

Registered
Ok here it goes:

Mobo: ASUS M4A785TD-V
Cooler: Arctic-Cooling Freezer 64 Pro PWM (idle around 30-31C)
RAM : GeIL 7-7-7 1333 (GV34GB1333C7DC) also is in the list of my mobo manual
GPU : Ati Club3d 5870 1GB
PSU : OCZ 600 Watt
Win 7 64 bit
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

OP
A

Assasjin

Registered
However, it seems odd that you could post and start up your OS with 3.8ghz...

Also I just had a lan party where we played like World Of Warcraft the whole day and sometimes left 4 dead 2 (though l4d2 occasionally crashed giving me a brownish screen but that's probably the bad 9.12 catalyst drivers)
I was @ 3800 Ghz, OCCT stable

EDIT:
Ok so I was just fiddling around and set this in my bios:

CPU MLTY x18 @ 3600
NB Freq x13 @ 2600
HT LINK @ 2200

CPU VID 1.4000
NB VID 1.27

Prime runs stable for 22 minutes now (without the 3rd core failing after 1-7 minutes)
So I was thinking...maybe the auto cpu voltage option is just way off?
And i did set my ram Mhz to manual and on 667 (eventhough it did that automaticly anyways)

And can some1 explain LoadLine Calibration, It's set on 51% on auto..
I have been messing around and when setting it off,0%, my cpu becomes a LOT hotter and the voltage does whatever it pleases to

Last edited:

Dooms101

Hmm... it seems like a very capable machine (and I get that annoying brown screen crash too, after the catalyst update *ugh*.) Well I have no idea what the LLC (load line calibration) is or does. But you're vCore is set plenty high enough... and your ram is set up fine. Have you tried swapping the ram dimms around? I've had problems before with ram, but after moving which one is in which slot, it was fixed. Then again I am not sure. I'd wait for one of the resident experts like Dolk or QuietIce answer. It could be a bad CPU... (just a guess, don't get upset yet, there's still hope!)

Edit: whats your vDimm and vNB in set to in BIOS?

OP
A

Assasjin

Registered
Hmm... it seems like a very capable machine (and I get that annoying brown screen crash too, after the catalyst update *ugh*.) Well I have no idea what the LLC (load line calibration) is or does. But you're vCore is set plenty high enough... and your ram is set up fine. Have you tried swapping the ram dimms around? I've had problems before with ram, but after moving which one is in which slot, it was fixed. Then again I am not sure. I'd wait for one of the resident experts like Dolk or QuietIce answer. It could be a bad CPU... (just a guess, don't get upset yet, there's still hope!)

Edit: whats your vDimm and vNB in set to in BIOS?

Ok, lol my dreams just got shattered :p
I just came home from work and prime was running Stable from 7:30 - 15:20, almost 8 hours, then I was typing a victory message and i got the Gray screen and PC rebooted, ****! XD
Here are my settings:
DSC_0136.jpg
DSC_0137.jpg

Dooms101

Try setting your CPU/NB frequency to 12x or 11.5x, and try that with Prime95... because 13x = 2.6ghz NB, which seems pretty obtainable for most people with the PhenomII's but then some people hit a wall at 2.4ghz - 2.8ghz. You might have hit that wall... hard to say since I don't have a PhenomII

QuietIce

Disabled
:welcome: to Overclockers.com!

Ok, lol my dreams just got shattered :p
I just came home from work and prime was running Stable from 7:30 - 15:20, almost 8 hours, then I was typing a victory message and i got the Gray screen and PC rebooted, ****! XD
Here are my settings:
DSC_0136.jpg
DSC_0137.jpg
Loadline Calibration, from what little I've read, should be turned off. It's supposed to level out the vCore but what it really does is increase the vCore so the flutter in voltage doesn't drop below a certain point but the flutter is still there. (My brain is dead tonight - it's not flutter but it's the voltage equivalent. ;))

GPU OC'ing should be set to manual or disabled.
PCIe should be set to manual 100 MHz.

For cpuNB, turn it down to 2.4 GHz until your CPU is stable at the lowest voltage possible. Far above everything else is CPU speed. If you rev everything up at once you'll lose clocks on your CPU. You can probably turn the cpuNB voltage down to 1.225v - that seems to work for most people.

I'd turn down the HT Link speed - no need to have it running that fast. Keep it in the 1.8-2.0 GHz range. Also, no need to over-volt it - the default 1.2v is fine.

Memory timings should always be set manually to keep the BIOS from playing with them. Just use the information provided by CPU-Z on it's SPD tab and copy those into your settings. Voltage should be set manually to it's default value (whatever it is for your RAM).

Try out those basic changes for starters and remember, one step at a time. As noted, CPU speed is King when it comes to performance. cpuNB and RAM are a far second and third, respectively, followed in the far, far distance by HT link speed. Get the CPU cranking out first ... :)

OP
A

Assasjin

Registered
I've set the memclock value on 800 instead of 667, CPU-Z said my memory became 9-9-9-24 and i started Prime95 10 hours ago, No errors (FATAL ERROR:Rounding was 0.5,expected less than 0.4. Hardware failure detected)

OP
A

Assasjin

Registered
Which cooler do you guys recommend btw,
I was thinking of http://www.zalman.co.kr/ENG/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=356
(I think the cooler i bought isnt all that great :(
And whats the max temps for a 965BE C3? 65C?
Cause 3.8 Ghz on 1.43 makes my CPU go up to 61-62C in OCCT (with LoadLine Calibration off)

EDIT: ALSO, what sould I belive?
The Asus PC PROBE says my CPU temps are 51C while i do OCCT tests whilst OCCT says my temps are 61C...theres a 10C difference between those 2 (also coretemp and Everest are thwe same as on OCCT)

Last edited:

boucher91

i call asus probe *** us probe never been correct ..
as far as i know that reading is the sensor underneath the socket....
the other software reads the chip diode...

QuietIce

Disabled
i call asus probe *** us probe never been correct ..
as far as i know that reading is the sensor underneath the socket....
the other software reads the chip diode...
Funny, I've never seen ASUS Probe II CPU temps off more then 1-2°C from CoreTemp. Of course, it takes Probe II 30 sec or so to get near the same temp as CoreTemp but once it's there it's the same. :shrug: vCore has always been fairly close as well, never more than ±0.02 or so from CPU-Z ...

OP
A

Assasjin

Registered
Just got some empty CD's, gonna do a Memtest cause I still think it's weird that I got errors on OCCT and Prime95 with everything on stock (except when I set ram manually to 800 (x2=1600?) whilst i have 1333 ram)

EDIT: Ok memtest completed after 1,3 hours, 0 errors. I ahve no clue whay it tested my ram on 600mhz with 2.5-0-5 timings or w/e.
Screw this ****, i think I'ma just buy some new ram I've had it with this GeIL bull****

Last edited:

Porvalsh

I don't think the difference between Geil 1333 7-7-7-24 and a new kit would be enough to make it worthwhile unless you got some really good chips. (Which can be hard to know the OEM chip supplier for ram these days) Alternatively you could run your ram at 1600, 8-8-8-28 and use memtest to check it out. If the voltage on your ram is stock as shown, 1.5v, then you could nudge it up too for stability.

Dooms101

Well you could set your ram to 1066mhz 9-9-9-32 and see how far you can push your processor, once your CPU is at a stable max, record the numbers. Then do the opposite, set your ram to 1333mhz 7-7-7-24 and set the CPU multi low to like x11 and slowly OC your ram by stepping the FSB up 5mhz at a time, each time testing for stability. You should also put your vDimm to stock +0.1v. If your finding that your ram can't handle a high oc (above like 240mhz FSB) then try 7-8-8-24 and push it a little bit farther. Once you have records for top feqeuncies on both your ram and cpu, just combine them.

Keep in mind that the cpu freq. takes precedence over ram freq. when it come to performance. So find the best combination of FSB + cpu multi that gives you very close (maybe slightly under, but not over) cpu freq. to your cpu's max freq. that also comes close to satisfying your rams top speed.

Example, (this is just some numbers I made up) I have DDR3-1600 (8-8-8-28) that max's at 1720mhz (8-9-9-32) with 215mhz FSB. Then a 2.8ghz CPU (200 x 16) maxed to 3.8ghz (200 x 19). So the best ratio would be: ~3.8ghz CPU (211 x 18) and 1688mhz ram. Hope this helped!