• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with new build!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hickery478

Registered
Hey guys so I was wondering, I built a PC 4 years ago for about $1800.
I'm keen on getting a bit of an upgrade, and I was wondering if I spent $1500aud on a new rig (just all rig hardware, case and windows(not peripherals) would i be able to get better performance than MY currents specs. I will be doing all my shopping on http://www.pccasegear.com/ so please use this for your price references. Ssd is preferred but not essential.
Current specs:
Intel i7 4770k
AsRock z87 extreme 4
Sea gate barracuda 2tb HDD
SAmsung 256gb ssd
GeForce gtx 770 2gb
G.Skill Sniper F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3

Do not desire to overclock as barely used it as is.

Not sure why you would upgrade that rig outside of perhaps gpu..maybe more ram... what is slow that you feel you need to upgrade??

Why no overclocking?? You bought parts to overclock for petes sake.. lol

But yeah, spending that much you can improve cpu performamce... 7700k, 2x8gb ddr4 3000, z270 motherboard... whatever may be left get a newerr gpu if you game.....

.....again, what feels slow? Hard to point you in a direction when we arent sure what is going on. :)

there is not a ton of power to be had upgrading the cpu. if the board has the features you want/need I would just upgrade the gpu and call it a day

You could definitely do it but like the others had mentioned upgrading specific components would be more cost efficient than a whole new rig.

Here's a quick list I came up with. Mind you I didn't check full compatibility on some parts listed. this is just an example. I'm assuming this is for gaming @ 1080.

https://www.pccasegear.com/sc/fLY

Nothing really feels slow apart from GPU. But the main idea behind this idea was to build another rig that would perform better gaming at 1080p. And I could give my old rig to my girlfriend that really wants a PC.

- - - Updated - - -

Kill two birds with one stone if you get me.
Didn't want to buy her a more upgraded/better system because she's even more of a pc noob than I am

Makes sense!

Well, price out the parts i listed on your website and see if you can fit the cpu, ram, gpu, and motherboard with that budget. :)

The only thing I see that is a bottleneck on the current rig for gaming at 1080p is the video card. Get a GTX 1080. And as ED said, you might consider overclocking the CPU. What are you cooling the CPU with? You don't list your cooler.

But what about your current SSD? Is it getting full? That could slow down a computer. And doing a fresh clean install of Windows might also give it a kick in the pants.

The only thing I see that is a bottleneck on the current rig for gaming at 1080p is the video card. Get a GTX 1080. And as ED said, you might consider overclocking the CPU. What are you cooling the CPU with? You don't list your cooler.

But what about your current SSD? Is it getting full? That could slow down a computer. And doing a fresh clean install of Windows might also give it a kick in the pants.

yeah, i would consider overclocking my CPU and have tried before but my cooler isnt the best at keeping the temp down so i got scared. Noctua NH-D14 is my cooler.

SSD is no where near full, and just did a fresh install not long ago.

There is nothing about this rig that is feeling slow, apart from say, gaming at 1080p and streaming at 720p 60fps is abit of a struggle depending on games. but the goal here, was to just get a more modern updated rig, and give this one to my girlfriend who wants to enter the pc gaming realm, as she always is playing on mine haha

I would definitely get the GTX 1070 over the other two cards you mention. But if cash starts to run short look at the AMD RX 580 that just came out and is a small performance upgrade over the GTX 1060 and the RX 480. And Vega will debut anytime now.

I would also recommend going with at least a 250 gb SSD. You want to make sure you get one large enough to hold all your programs. The data and downloads can go on the 2TB spinner and you won't see much performance fall off.

Finally, I would suggest going with the pro version of Windows 10. There are some extra capabilities in the pro version that you don't think you will need but may prove handy later on. One thing is the pro version has much better networking capability.

You can save some money on the motherboard. You don't need to spend $220 to get a capable overclocking motherboard. With the Hyper 212 Cooler your overclocking will be somewhat limited anyway. Your current Noctual D14 is a way better cooler than that.

Only one potential problem and that is clearance to the side panel on that Thermaltake case is limited to coolers with a maximum height of 155 mm and I think the Coolermaster 212 Evo is 159 mm tall. I would suggest replacing that with the Cryorig H7 which is a little shorter. It's in the same class as the CM Evo 212 but cools a little better.

Back