• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help with new pc please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WongFeiHung

Ok this could be the pc i get so far...i have been researching daily and asking for advice...but i am still not very knowledgeable on the subject...but anyway...this might be the pc i get [mind you there will probably be a few changes] tell me what you think please.

Case=Aluminum Black turbo gamer 10 bay soho server sx 1040 case 420 watt power.

case uprgade=see through side panel,and sound activated neon light installed.

cpu=intel pentium 2.5ghz / 533 fsb / 512 cache

motherboard=[rambus][533mhz] gigabyte ga-8ihxp i850e 533 fsb mb w/ audio & lan [i soo don't know what is a good motherboard]

memory=512 mb rambus pc800

memory upgrade=from standard memory to corsair high performance memory w/ heat spreader.

cooling fan=intel certified cpu fan & heatsink

hard drive=western digital 100gb 7200rpm ata 100 8mb special edition.

video card=ati radeon 9700 pro

dvd rom=56x cd-rom

cd-rw=pioneer dvd-rw 8x4x2x1 eide

sound=creative labs sound blaster pci[i dont care about sound.i use headphones and sound doesnt really matter]

network=3com 905 btx nm 10/100 nic

Price=1,750

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?

is this a good pc? please tell me your thoughts..thanks

Welcome to the forums.
Seeing as you seem unsure as far as the mobo, take a peek at the Intel Motherboard forum. You might pick up an idea or two that changes your mind.

WongFeiHung said:
memory=512 mb rambus pc800

If the mobo supports it, why not get PC1066? It will increase RAM bandwidth and help you get the most out a 533Mhz FSB P4.

David

Rambus is dying.... stay away from them...

For Mobo, Abit ABIT BD7II-RAID is a popular choice on this board, the technology (intel 845e) has matured and price has dropped to very affordable level.

Memory, if you want extra memory bandwidth go for corsair xms pc3200, otherwise 512mb crucial pc2700 can do just fine. (personally I am not willing to pay extra $50-80 for 1-5% performance increase)

Video Card, Unless you play games at 1600*1200 with everything maxed out, ATI 9700pro is overkill, you can get a good Geforce Ti4200 for $150 which is sufficient for 99% of the games out there

Price, $1700 is a LOT for a new pc nowadays...

Hello, welcome to the forums!

In responce to your new PC, it sounds like a nice setup. The price is a bit high because your going with intel, you have a DVD burner, and your going with the radeon 9700.

Right now, any of us would die to have your setup. Its an everkill system as one mentioned earlier. If your going with the best, your almost there. Go with the faster memory, and look for reviews and posts about your motherboard.

Question for others: If you already have a DVDRW, you really wouldnt need a regular DVD drive would you? His setup includes a CDRW, DVD, DVDRW.

After consideration i decided not to go with the dvd burner..and instead go with a regular cd-rom and a cd-rw.

You can get away with only having the cd-rw so don't waste money and buy a normal cd-rom drive! instead you could go with a dvd drive if you want to play dvd's or have dvd disks with software on them! But as said before stay away from rambus! Intel is trying to get away from it and go to DDR so I suggest you do the same!!!!

Back